Author Topic: Which is preferable for older riders: lite weight or low seat?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Which is preferable for older riders: lite weight or low seat?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2021, 11:16:28 AM »
On seat height.

Remember that a low seat is not the only answer. A big wide saddle seat may keep your feet off the ground. A narrow seat at the same height would have you flat footed with your knees bent.

For instance. My EVT has a lower seat than my Eldo/Ambo. The seat on the Eldo is much narrower than the EVT. My feet are flat, but my knees are almost straight down, almost like I'm standing. I feel much more stable at a stop this way rather than with my legs spread wide like on a wide saddle seat.

Center of gravity also has a lot to do with it. My EVT just feels like it's top heavy. My Eldo feels like the weight is down low. My HD also has the weight down low feeling. My HD is the heaviest of my bikes, but feels much lighter than my EVT.

Also, if I were to tip over in a parking lot on my EVT, I think I would require help. My other bikes I think I could manage to pick up.

One last thing. Bikes that scare you at low speed. My EVT does that. The biggest issue is how far the forks turn from lock to lock. I think it has the narrowest range of all my bike. Making a slow tight U turn can make me feel a bit uncomfortable. Also when your in a parking lot and want to back into a spot on your right. You turn to the left to back in. I have hit the fork stop too many times doing this and feel like I'm going to drop the bike because it's trying to fall to the inside of my slow turn.

Just my 2 pennies,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2021, 06:14:34 PM »
I thought I would lower the seat on my Eldorado
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2021, 06:32:01 PM »
Appropriate..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2021, 07:46:54 PM »
I'm not as geezered up as some of you guys, but I'd rather move my Tenere 700 around the garage than that heavy ass lump of a Cal-Vin I sold.

Flat footing with both feet is SO over rated. Your foot should stay on the brake.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2021, 07:46:54 PM »

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2021, 08:48:29 PM »
At 68 years young and 5"10" , 450# is my upper limit.    My V7II is my big bike now , and can't think of why any bigger is ever needed  :police: ?    It does have the Corbin dual seat on it that is narrow in the front and I've lowered the forks about 1.5" and the rear shocks are on the bottom of their adjustment.

I vote for lighter being most important.  :smiley:
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2021, 11:43:06 PM »
Low seat. I can live with everything else.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2021, 05:15:11 AM »
I'll be dealing with this issue over the winter: I am retired; my wife retires in April. We already take frequent long distance 2-up trips; will increase the frequency of them this year. I will be 73 in January, and at 5"7" my Norge is still OK for me to handle 1-up, but is becoming difficult when fully loaded and 2-up; can't quite flat-foot it, and the weight is problematic. I'll be looking to buy a touring bike that I can comfortably handle, fully loaded, 2-up.

We do have an Indian Scout, which is heavier than the Norge, but has a very low seat height (about 25"). The scout is easier for me to handle 2-up than the Norge, but it is not well suited for 2-up touring: small luggage capacity, poor wind management, uncomfortable seats.

The fact that the Scout is easy for me to handle 2-up suggests to me that the bigger issue for me is seat height rather than weight. However, I still would prefer to purchase a bike capable of 2-up touring that has both low seat height and light weight. Another issue for me: I take many trips across the US great plains; prefer to take interstates in order to get to my destinations (Rocky Mt. states, west coast) in a hurry. I want a bike that can cruise all day at 80-85 mph.

I don't think there is currently any bike available that meets all of these criteria; will likely have to reach some sort of compromise. I hope to test ride many bike over the next 6 months.

Jon

Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2021, 06:19:25 AM »
I don't think it's a simple choice between seat height and light weight. I've been through something similar recently due to cancer and being left much weaker after treatment. I ended up with a V85tt which is quite tall and heavier than I would like and a Fantic Caballero 500 which is very light but not very powerful at 45HP.

For me, the main consideration is ease of pushing it around, not riding it. As with all bikes, they weigh nothing when moving and can easily be balanced when stopped. I found the V85TT to be very easy to wheel around despite its weight. The bars are wide and give great leverage and the weight is carried low down making it easier to balance. I don't notice the weight at all when on the bike but admit that I can't sit on the bike and manouver it with ease so I get off and push it. I'm 5'11" and 185lb.

The Fantic is no problem in any respect. I only ever ride it solo and it's quick enough to keep up with much more powerful bikes on A and B roads. It never goes near the motorway, handles better than any bike should and always brings a smile to my face. If it was the only bike I could ride I'd still be happy but longer trips would have to be planned to avoid extended 75mph plus stints.

The only way to be sure is to do all three. Manouver the bike round the car park, ride it solo and two up.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:20:58 AM by Sye »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2021, 06:40:56 AM »
I'll be dealing with this issue over the winter: I am retired; my wife retires in April. We already take frequent long distance 2-up trips; will increase the frequency of them this year. I will be 73 in January, and at 5"7" my Norge is still OK for me to handle 1-up, but is becoming difficult when fully loaded and 2-up; can't quite flat-foot it, and the weight is problematic. I'll be looking to buy a touring bike that I can comfortably handle, fully loaded, 2-up.

We do have an Indian Scout, which is heavier than the Norge, but has a very low seat height (about 25"). The scout is easier for me to handle 2-up than the Norge, but it is not well suited for 2-up touring: small luggage capacity, poor wind management, uncomfortable seats.

The fact that the Scout is easy for me to handle 2-up suggests to me that the bigger issue for me is seat height rather than weight. However, I still would prefer to purchase a bike capable of 2-up touring that has both low seat height and light weight. Another issue for me: I take many trips across the US great plains; prefer to take interstates in order to get to my destinations (Rocky Mt. states, west coast) in a hurry. I want a bike that can cruise all day at 80-85 mph.

I don't think there is currently any bike available that meets all of these criteria; will likely have to reach some sort of compromise. I hope to test ride many bike over the next 6 months.

Jon

Man I  want to say the answer is a Cali 1100 w/ big windshield or fairing or a similar setup Rubbermount Sporty or T120.

Hell the Triumph Speedmaster could do the job, though I like the Bobber better for ergos it would be work to make a Bobber passenger ready, never mind tour ready.

But if that's not the direction you want to go, what about some of the R9T or R12 offerings from BMW?

Or what can be done to lower a Norge - forks up the trees an inch? Shorter shock or some change to linkage?!?

EDIT - OMG OMG OMG - how awesome would it be if Guzzi killed the 1400 Cali and came out with a new smaller/lighter V100 based Cali EV!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:42:53 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2021, 08:42:23 AM »
I have been yelling for something like this for a couple of years now. I had been agitating for a V85 street going version but this would be better yet. BTW the 1400s are dead now but you already knew that.   :thumb:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2021, 05:47:17 PM »
65 years old, 5’6” with a 29” inseam.
I have a tall, but very light KTM 690 Duke and a low but heavy Honda ST 1300 (known as Jumbo to my wife).
Both work well for me, seat height is more important.  My days of riding GS’s are over.  When I decide to go to a single  bike I want approximately 500 pounds with a 31 inch seat height.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2021, 06:02:26 PM »
Just occurred to me that if this thread was about women and not bikes, everybody's answers would change and most of us would be in agreement......
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2021, 06:04:45 PM »
  I was dealing with this conflict last year. I turned 69 years old and my Norge just got to be too heavy for me. And with just a 30" inseam I was uncomfortable on less than perfect parking areas. I still wanted a sport/touring type bike and I found exactly that in a 2008 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST. 150# lighter than the Norge and a lower seat. Not a lot of them out there for sale at a reasonable price. I had to fly to Rockford IL and ride it home to Tampa, some 1,200 miles.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2021, 09:46:03 PM »
Much more convenient to get a custom seat and adjust height than a custom xxxxxxx to lower the weight.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2021, 05:30:10 AM »
Whilst not particularly old, I would prefer a lighter bike but not too low.

My only Guzzi, LM2 is both my lowest and heaviest bike, neither is a problem whilst riding but I find it awkward to manoeuvre it around. The weight obviously makes it more difficult but the low height is a bigger issue in that, whilst pushing them about I like to lean a bike against my hip but the Guzzi is too low for that and hits me in the thigh, making it more difficult to hold it up.

Obviously too high is a problem whilst riding - feet down when stopped and getting on/off but unless it's an extreme off-road/Motocross bike (usually light weight though) then I've never noticed it so, unless things change as I age, I prefer lower weight but not lower height. 
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

bobrebos

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2021, 01:43:54 AM »
I have a 2010 gold wing and 2013 Stelvio.  Next bike will be a lite one.  Because I’m getting older.  I’m 6’ tall and seat height doesent bother me. 

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2021, 01:12:34 PM »
In this regard, and I've mentioned it elsewhere: I got curious about Guzzi ergonomics and did a little research. The average height of an adult Italian male born in 148 is 171cm/5'7.3".  That's me now (I was 5'8.5" in 1970. The years take their toll, especially when you ski moguls).

Ignore inseam. Typical male leg length is  about 46% of body height measured floor to crotch (mine is 48% with shoes on). For me that's 32 inches. Seat height for both my 850T and TR6R is 80cm/31.5"   There's a reason they were designed that way.

For the same birth year, average British height is 175cm/5'9", and average American height 5'9.7"

People born in 1980 average about an inch taller than those born in 1948. Since then average height worldwide has decreased slightly.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline henwilv

• New Egg
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2021, 03:51:38 PM »
Just occurred to me that if this thread was about women and not bikes, everybody's answers would change and most of us would be in agreement......

Of course, it would all be about the seat height!!! :violent1:

However coming back on topic, I find my Audace absolutely fine to ride, fast or slow (and like quite a few here, I'm also a bit vertically challenged and just hit the magical three score and ten), it's anything but cumbersome, it steers quickly despite its long wheelbase and weight and I ride in the Black Forest region of Germany (SW, Baden-Württemberg) where  the curves are connected by curves, doglegs and hairpins, so it has to be reasonably nimble, and it certainly is. It's excellent on the autobahn, too although I avoid it if possible. Pushing it around the garage is a different story as all 300+ kg come immediately into play, but I can still manage ok thanks in part to the long handlebar. My T3 is much easier to push around and is also low enough for me to get my feet down comfortably enough.
Right now I vote for seat height. If I ever stop riding the Audace it will mean my priorities have changed.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 04:08:18 PM by henwilv »

Offline henwilv

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2021, 04:10:40 PM »
I thought I would lower the seat on my Eldorado

For a better ride, go wide! (whose advertising was that back in the 80s)

Offline straycatskip

• New Egg
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2021, 01:21:28 PM »
I am 71 with a 29" inseam.  I used to ride a Harley Ultra.  In 2013, I recognized that paddling around a sloping driveway and parking in sloping parking areas, often with lots of potholes was increasingly becoming a challenge.  I also needed a much lighter bike that I could carry on a rack on the back of a travel trailer.   So I sold the Harley and bought a Suzuki V-Strom 650, weighing perhaps 440 lbs dry but having a much higher seat height.  The Suzuki worked well for me until my hips started to go.  The trick of standing on the peg to swing your leg over the seat works well on pavement or hard packed soil.  It doesn't work so well on sand or other soft ground where the stand wants to sink into the soil. I now also own a Guzzi V7, which is both lighter and lower than the V-Strom.  It is this combination that will keep me in the game the longest.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2021, 04:15:55 PM »
Seat height and weight are important, of course, but my Convert is very easy to handle at parking lot speeds.

Rich A

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2021, 10:27:46 PM »

I want a bike that can cruise all day at 80-85 mph.

Where is that kind of speed limit ?    But even if it is legal ... don't that kinda suck the fun out of ridding ?

That extra 10 mph makes the roses fly-by really quickly ... just saying !   :grin:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 10:33:12 PM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2021, 10:38:29 PM »
I80 in Nevada east of Reno is posted at 80 mph. Traffic runs pretty much at 85, some higher. I rode it this past summer.  I ran at about 80, I had a naked bike, any faster resulted in too much pressure for extended periods.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2021, 11:44:54 PM »
my Convert is very easy to handle at parking lot speeds

Not having to feather a clutch does take some of the anxiety out of maneuvering below walking speed. One of the reasons scooters are so easy in tight quarters.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2021, 04:51:27 AM »
Im not as old as some of you, but at 56 im knocking on the door, and see the lights in the distance. Being 6'3" tall, with a 35" inseam does factor in for me. Also the fact that I really dont like foot forward riding. I really like my feet under me, or a little back, and if the seat is too short, its really cramped. My Cal Stone is really a little low for me. That being said I also dont really like real heavy bikes. Im pretty happy with the weight and balance of my stone, and not sure I would want to add many pounds to it. SO I guess my answer is taller seat, AND lighter weight!  I really see my self going to a more standard bike down the road like the V7. Granted I hardly rode at all last year so who knows.
Paul B

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »
I'll repeat what I posted here a few days ago. Consider lowering your bike to make it fit you. Especially if you like everything else about the bike. It's so easy on most bikes. Just buy shorter dog bones for the rear and lower on the forks on the front (If necessary).  Worked perfectly for me on a FJR and a B12 Bandit. But it may make your center stand useless. In my case that was OK. The improvement was worth it.
Bill

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2021, 04:03:52 PM »
Chuck!
I like it already. I'm looking forward from the tail? Your not truly flying If you don't catch some oily airborne bugs.  Best wishes.  R3~

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2021, 07:35:12 AM »
Chuck!
I like it already. I'm looking forward from the tail? Your not truly flying If you don't catch some oily airborne bugs.  Best wishes.  R3~

Yep. A labor of love.  It's entirely fabricated of spruce, 1/32" plywood, and .035" wall 4130 tubing. It will have a 3 cylinder radial engine on the nose. Open cockpit of course.  :smiley: Empty weight around 250 lbs. Will cruise about 60mph, and be totally useless except to survey the countryside at 300 or 400 feet.  :smiley: *Many* hours of enjoyable labor.. but I like to make stuff..<shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2021, 12:46:23 PM »
Both are important to me. I'm five feet eight and one half inches and weigh 140 lbs.. Expect to turn 83 in January and would like for my 2016 Stone to be 1" lower and 40 lbs. lighter.

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2021, 03:50:30 PM »

I want a bike that can cruise all day at 80-85 mph.

Where is that kind of speed limit ?    But even if it is legal ... don't that kinda suck the fun out of ridding ?

That extra 10 mph makes the roses fly-by really quickly ... just saying !   :grin:

Utah Interstate 15 north of St. George

Seat height is important, but not as low as the Ryker, as visibility is reduced.
My Triumph, Honda CB1100 and V7II were just right.
Getting older, but not yet old (2 months shy of 75)
23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here