Author Topic: borescopes for phones  (Read 718 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
borescopes for phones
« on: December 02, 2021, 10:43:19 AM »
Anyone have one of the borescopes that hooks up to a smart phone ? I just ordered one in hopes of being able to peak into hidden places on an upcoming project. I thought the phone option would be cool to be able to take pics or video's as well as just look in real time. I found this one online that is I phone compatible with the optional driver. My daughters friend is bringing her 79 suzuki 425 gs over to be evaluated for resurrection after sitting outside for several years. Could just be a pile of scrap , haven't seen it yet but need a winter project. Hoping to get a look in the bores before attempting anything further.

https://endosnake.com/collections/endosnake-borescopes

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: borescopes for phones
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »
No personal experience, but I'm looking forward to the report. I considered getting one a while back after I pulled the genius move of breaking my wooden chopstick while checking for TDC.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 10:50:56 AM »
Looks to be reasonably priced and convenient to use and store.  Please update with a report on how it works out for you and which one you chose. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 10:55:06 AM »
Concerning the Suzuki, unless serious moisture has got into the engine it should be doable. The engines are pretty well bullet proof. Cosmetics on the other other hand is where much was built to a price point and don't hold up well to extended outdoors. Had a 77 GS400 for 11 years that was mostly garaged or covered and still had cosmetic issues. Also the stock shocks suck and are short lived.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 10:55:06 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 12:31:54 PM »
I have a couple of them, they are like $12 or so on Amazon.
There are two issues with them.
First, I often get disoriented. Looking in on things and not knowing which direction is up.
Second, the lenses often have a very shallow depth of field. As in, things that are 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch are in focus. Anything closer, or farther, is a blur. Just the way the lens is going to be.

I had a problem with fourth gear last year. The camera showed what is going on inside there.

Just checked on Amazon. I lot of them are under $10 now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 12:36:39 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 05:00:31 PM »
I have a couple of them and like Wayne says you get disoriented and the field of vision is not great.  Both mine have adjustable leds on them and that helps. The smaller sized ones will easily go into spark plug holes so that is a bonus.  Both came with attachments which look good but, I have not found them useful yet.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 05:11:49 PM »
I have one of these I use with my Ipad mini. It's very good.

https://www.oasisscientific.com/store/p397/VA-800-WiFi_Bundle%3A_Vividia_AbleScope_VA-800_USB_Flexible_Articulating_Borescope_plus_VA-B2_WiFi_AirBox_for_iPad_iPhone_and_Android.html

Heres an image of the head gasket in my car, I'm checking it for leaks. The dark line is the gasket sandwiched between the head and the block. Remember the gasket is less than 1mm thickness and the lines in the gasket are the layers as it's an MLS gasket. I used to borescope commercial jet engines on wing on a regular basis using the best and most expensive gear available. We could even grind damage on compressor blades via the boro ports if needs be.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 05:21:25 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 05:30:09 PM »
Thanks guy's I ordered the small one supposedly for vehicle work , I'll be sure and give a review of it when it arrives. I know there are cheaper ones but this one is I phone compatible which a lot of the cheaper ones don't mention. If it works well I'll be happy for the money spent. here is the one i ordered

https://endosnake.com/collections/endosnake-borescopes/products/endosnake-viper-the-smallest-smartphone-boroscope-for-vehicle-inspection-1

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 05:34:45 PM »
Thanks guy's I ordered the small one supposedly for vehicle work , I'll be sure and give a review of it when it arrives. I know there are cheaper ones but this one is I phone compatible which a lot of the cheaper ones don't mention. If it works well I'll be happy for the money spent. here is the one i ordered

https://endosnake.com/collections/endosnake-borescopes/products/endosnake-viper-the-smallest-smartphone-boroscope-for-vehicle-inspection-1

Yea, I'm a bit reluctant to slide anything into an engine bore with an attachment clipped to it for obvious reasons. You need something that articulates the head in my view.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 06:38:44 PM »
Yea, I'm a bit reluctant to slide anything into an engine bore with an attachment clipped to it for obvious reasons. You need something that articulates the head in my view.

Ciao

I agree it would be nice to be able to articulate the lens for a lot of things.  I'm just hoping to be able to peak down a plug hole for cheap money. Guzzi content.

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 07:34:48 PM »
 I have had one for a couple of years.For what they cost everyone should have one in the tool box.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here