Author Topic: Your thoughts on a 2007 Griso  (Read 1232 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: Your thoughts on a 2007 Griso
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 08:32:27 PM »

You might want to PM Mr. Roper and run the particulars past him. He knows a thing or two about those animals.  Griso Ghetto  might enlighten you too.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 08:49:12 PM »
I had a 2007 for a few years, a great bike, simple motor, Huzo has a Norge its Sister bike coming up on 200,000 km
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 11:10:49 PM »
I've got one that was a decent deal (45-50K kms?) well farkled and taken care of and issues addressed by the previous owner.

Iirc that model had the internal fuel pump with the dissolving fuel lines that should be changed,,, there\s a speedometer/speed? sensor on the rear swing arm that can cause grief and should be sealed with RTV or Silicon? to cure it when replaced.

When the a/m sensor was acting funky on my bike, the previous owner thought it was the digital dash going bad and picked up a spare one before he figured out it was the sensor and replaced it; for all the talk about the digital dashes mine has been good, np.

Some find the bars a little low, mine came with risers & higher Aprillia bars.

Iirc there are 5-6? big bolts holding the rear wheel assembly on, hidden under a cover?, they've been known to loosen, very dangerous consequences, I verified mine, tightened and lock tite.

Iirc there is a 2nd sump gasket above the spacer, it has been known to blow internally and lose pressure with no leaks which can be fatal if you don't shut it down as soon as the low pressure warning light comes on..

The stock fueling map was known be sketchy, mine came with a Beetle map installed and it runs excellent,

The only thing that I couldn't solve easily, and decided just to live with it, was the stepper motor issue on it.

The stock, metal body stepper motor often hangs with a high idle when it's warm. I've cleaned it with sprays etc but never actually took the unit and throttle bodies off. It wasn't that big an issue for me. The new plastic body stepper motor replacement is the answer to solve it, but it's pricey, $250?

The Griso is a funny bike to place into a category, Roadster?

The wheel base is long, but it feels smaller to me than it probably really is, very nice machine. I had mine for a small ride down an ATV trail just about the same time Roy had his up on the Alaskan highway, obviously not what it was designed for, but it handled it.

fwiw
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 11:10:49 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 01:25:06 AM »
I had a 2007 for a few years, a great bike, simple motor, Huzo has a Norge its Sister bike coming up on 200,000 km
Yes.
I’ve ridden an 1100 2VPC Griso and it felt like a Norge with no suspension. But the power felt indistinguishable.
Other than issues particular to Griso’s which I know nothing about, you need.
Beetle map properly installed.
TB balance,TPS reset and wave Guzzidiag over it for stored codes.
My Norge drank like a sailor on leave and pinged it’s wog guts out, but Roper jammed Beetle’s map under the seat and it has NEVER pinged since and if I ride very gently, I can get 500 km to a tank with 1.2 litres left. A reliable safe range of 440 km can be achieved.
Grease swingarm pivots/drive splines and anything else that squeaks when you move it.
If you don’t want to risk lunching a bevelbox, check the pinion nut security.
A blood and guts service and go for a ride to see what crops up. The smart thing also, is not to overfill the engine oil.
I cannot quote the actual amount, but I think 3.6 litres is the stated amount but down closer to 3.0 litres is closer to the money.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 06:49:38 AM »
Oh yeah thanks for the reminder. I always shied away from them because of the dash issue. Wasn’t it worst on the early Griso? I really wouldn’t want to have that drop dead.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 09:54:49 AM »
Oh yeah thanks for the reminder. I always shied away from them because of the dash issue. Wasn’t it worst on the early Griso? I really wouldn’t want to have that drop dead.

Huzo is right re the swing arm greasing, I had forgotten about confirming that the PO had done that service.   

I share your concerns about the digital dash, my Griso is the only one I have and it's been fine. I think corrosion on the micro connections are the big issue, climate and storage conditions are a major factor. We've got humidity where I live in central Canada, and although it's seen the odd rain storm riding, it lives a pretty sheltered garage queen life and has always been stored dry and under cover.

A digital dash bike stored outside in a location close to humid coastal salt air, I think would tend to be more problematic.

Iirc all of the electronics are routed through the dash, once it's fired up, test everything, lights, signals, horn etc, and get the owner to walk through the different screens and menus, if it's funky it should be apparent. The one bonus that I like about the digital dash is the ease of setting the TPS when tuning it, you don't have to mess around with break out cables, volt meter and twisting the TPS to set it, which can be finicky af, jmo

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online Rebochi

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 12:14:50 PM »
  I have a 2007 Griso and so far it has had a few problems. The Fuel line failed at about 1000 miles, fixed under warranty. A small wire in the tail section chafed through the insulation and kept blowing the ECU fuse, fixed by clever use of electrical tape, rerouting and a few zip ties to keep the wiring from moving. The Dash went out at 18,000 miles, fixed under warranty. The dash problems did not stop the bike from running  the lower section would turn black for a few minutes then return to normal then it started reversing the image like you were looking in a mirror. The Swing arm bearings and the steering head bearings were greased before any failures.                                                                                           
   A few simple modifications made it more comfortable and a all around better bike. A Penske shock corrected what ever might of been wrong with the rear suspension,  Corbin seat  1 inch taller than stock and 1 inched dropped pegs reduced the knee angle to tolerable, a 1200S engine gave it a few more horse power and a stronger mid range . The Griso is a fun, easy to maintain and `enjoyable do anything bike.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 12:25:00 PM by Rebochi »
1200 GS
1200 Sport
1100 Griso
2003 Rosso Corsa
Ducati Multistrada
Indian FTR 1200

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 12:54:40 PM »
Looking at the pictures, what's not to like
Nice Guzzi soft bags (expandable)
After market oil cooler grille
Fast red colour
Pictured outside the garage it has lived in
I'm not sure what the cylindrical object low down just in front of the RH footpeg is, mine didn't have that.
---------------------
As others have said make sure the dogbone in the rear suspension and drive shaft splines are greased
Seal the speed pickup with silicone

« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 01:07:20 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 01:51:32 PM »
Looking at the pictures, what's not to like
Nice Guzzi soft bags (expandable)
After market oil cooler grille
Fast red colour
Pictured outside the garage it has lived in
I'm not sure what the cylindrical object low down just in front of the RH footpeg is, mine didn't have that.
---------------------
As others have said make sure the dogbone in the rear suspension and drive shaft splines are greased
Seal the speed pickup with silicone

That's the "cannister."  It's an emissions thingy for U.S. market bikes.  Lot's of people remove them but mine is still there ...
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 02:30:22 PM »
Local riding buddy claims he gets 50mpg on his 07.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 08:45:28 PM »
I have an 07 Griso. LOVE IT. My first Guzzi.

I'm the second owner and has been flawless, not an issue. It was always serviced at Moto International I haven't even had to do the 'startus interuptus' modification. I didn't find the stock fueling to be bad, but the throttle was snatchy. Fixed with a Beetle Map.

The suspension takes a bit to get dialed in as you can adjust preload, damping and rebound for both front and rear suspension. A Griso can handle and feel like a fat pig if suspension isn't dialed in and tire pressures arent right, but when set for you, the bike is sublime, stable and a blast to ride. Is NOT a Sport bike but similar to say an FZ1. Some hate the stock seat, but I find it one of the most comfortable stock seats of any bike I've owned. I swapped out the stock bus sized exhaust for a trim Agostini Hydroformed, and it is one of my all time favorite motorcycles over 40 years of riding.

I average 40 riding aggressively, and up to 45 when taking it easy.  4.5 gallon fuel capacity gives 160 mile range without an issue, I normally start looking for fuel at 150 miles.

At 58 with many orthopedic maladies from trying to keep up with 8-24 year old Infantrymen, I needed to lower the pegs and add mana bars to compensate for 'my' old frame and keep riding it.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 09:24:48 AM »
I have an 07 Griso. LOVE IT. My first Guzzi.

I'm the second owner and has been flawless, not an issue. It was always serviced at Moto International I haven't even had to do the 'startus interuptus' modification. -----------------------------------------------------
Thats because the feed on this model doesn't go through the ignition switch it comes from fuse C which is always On
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2006_Griso_1100.gif
The factory got this one right however the wire from the relay to the solenoid is still too small, increasing the size to an 18 gauge will make the starter engage much faster.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:38:28 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 05:27:51 PM »
Thats because the feed on this model doesn't go through the ignition switch it comes from fuse C which is always On
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2006_Griso_1100.gif
The factory got this one right however the wire from the relay to the solenoid is still too small, increasing the size to an 18 gauge will make the starter engage much faster.

Good info, thanks. My 1200 Sport has the relay system, but the Griso never seemed to need it now I know why. I've seen that modification talked about, but haven't needed it yet.  My battery is now 5 years old, and needs to be kept on a tender if let sit more than a week. I wonder if this modification will help with that.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 09:03:17 AM »
I doubt it will help, a new battery will for sure.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here