Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554169 times)

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #1050 on: June 27, 2016, 01:45:28 AM »
Hi

I was fiddling with my B11 yesterday trying to dial out the previous owners misguided decision to adjust the sacred screw   :angry: :angry: .... the good news though is that I'm nearly there  :thumb:

However, whilst in the Actors page I spotted two things

On the Engine Off side  it gives you options for Left and Right Ignition - what does that do or is for

In the Engine on bit it refers to "stepper (Idle control) - again what does this do

I've had a search about but can't see an explanation.

Cheers
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Birch71

• Vrrrroooooommmmer
  • Hatchling
  • Getting paid to shoot people
    • I Shoot People
« Reply #1051 on: June 29, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
Hey Mark....

So after ages I'm sitting down to load in the map you sent me for the G11. Problem is, it is not reading the file. I click on the folder the file is in, and it doesn't show anything to upload.

Any suggestions?
I shoot people and make mom's cry- can't believe they pay me for it!

Offline Birch71

• Vrrrroooooommmmer
  • Hatchling
  • Getting paid to shoot people
    • I Shoot People
« Reply #1052 on: June 29, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »
Well, that's because I had the wrong writer  :violent1:

Now that I do, I don't have the "ECU" symbol on the dash and the writer can't initialize. Yet I have data on Guzzidiag.

Hmph.
I shoot people and make mom's cry- can't believe they pay me for it!

beetle

« Reply #1053 on: June 29, 2016, 04:56:11 PM »
Well, that's because I had the wrong writer  :violent1:

That actually happens a lot....

Now that I do, I don't have the "ECU" symbol on the dash and the writer can't initialize. Yet I have data on Guzzidiag.

Hmph.

Your not trying to run the writer with GuzziDiag open?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1053 on: June 29, 2016, 04:56:11 PM »

beetle

« Reply #1054 on: June 29, 2016, 04:58:32 PM »
On the Engine Off side  it gives you options for Left and Right Ignition - what does that do or is for

In the Engine on bit it refers to "stepper (Idle control) - again what does this do

Tests for the respective items.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1055 on: June 29, 2016, 11:25:19 PM »
Cheers Beetle
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Jdcooper

• New Egg
« Reply #1056 on: July 02, 2016, 07:03:21 PM »
Beetle

Downloaded Guzzi Diag, got the correct cables and it works perfectly. I just had my Stelvio (A5) rollerized and the dealer put the MG map in. It's...OK... but everyone sez there are better. A map-guru sent me a better .bin for the rollerized A5 w aftermarket can; but there are two versions. One w lambda off, and one w it on. Using Guzzi Diag can I tell how my ECU is set up ? This way I can put the right map in on the first try.

Thanks so much !

Coop

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #1057 on: July 02, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
The map itself contains the code to turn the lambda on or off.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Jdcooper

• New Egg
« Reply #1058 on: July 02, 2016, 08:39:23 PM »
Ahh....so !

Being a basic Guzzi neophyte, which mode is best ?
With or without ?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #1059 on: July 03, 2016, 06:52:16 AM »
I run with it ON. That does not mean it is best, it just means I want to ride more, and fiddle less.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1060 on: July 05, 2016, 08:41:28 AM »
I wanted to thank all the people who helped this weekend trying to load a new file into the Breva 1100. \

I received files from Paul and Beetle and finally got one of them uploaded.

If you are having trouble, use the adapter test, for whatever reason, after I ran it, I was able to connect.

I ended up having to hook my trickle charger up the battery as it died in the middle of the upload of the new file, so you might want to do that before.

this morning, went outside, unhooked the charger and the Breva fired right up.  Initial impression was it started easier and faster, and idled better with the new file than the OEM file.  Could be me, who knows right

A ride is one the list, but it will have to wait until later, work is piling up in my inbox this morning from the weekend.  Still, its better working from home than having an office job.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
  • It takes a big dog to weigh a ton.
« Reply #1061 on: July 06, 2016, 12:50:58 PM »
I successfully used TuneECU on my Bonneville without destroying the bike, so maybe its time to get into GuzziDIAG with the B11. I bought my Triumph cable from Lonelec and it worked perfectly. On the Lonelec website, they state that they will have no cable stock until 12/07/16. I'd prefer to purchase from them, but.... Am I reading their website correctly? Are there any other recommended cable suppliers?
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1063 on: July 12, 2016, 01:29:01 AM »
If I've understood this correctly, the narrow band Lambda sensor fitted to my B11 should cycle roughly 3 times a second between 0.1V and 0.9V, (100-900mV)  once the bike is up to operating temperature.

I also know that I can see the Lambda voltage displayed in Guzzidiag

So, I know its not precise but can I infer that if the voltage displayed is outside the parameters above (cycles only once a second for example) I have a faulty/sluggish Lambda sensor

2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #1064 on: July 12, 2016, 08:40:52 AM »
If I've understood this correctly, the narrow band Lambda sensor fitted to my B11 should cycle roughly 3 times a second between 0.1V and 0.9V, (100-900mV)  once the bike is up to operating temperature.

I also know that I can see the Lambda voltage displayed in Guzzidiag

So, I know its not precise but can I infer that if the voltage displayed is outside the parameters above (cycles only once a second for example) I have a faulty/sluggish Lambda sensor

I put a narrow band sensor in a crossover pipe to learn how they worked, and to tweak the carbs on a carbed bike. I would often get it to operate in the 500 to 600mv range. Plus GuzziDiag doesn't update at a really high rate.
So no, I don't think it is possible to see it cycling like that. At least I doubt it through GuzziDiag.

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1065 on: July 14, 2016, 11:21:31 AM »
McAfee is quarentining the iaw15xreader every time I try to download it. Is there a real trojan in there as McFee suggests, or are they false alarming on anything not blessed by Micro $oft?
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #1066 on: July 14, 2016, 12:23:30 PM »
McAfee IS a virus.

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1067 on: July 14, 2016, 03:36:55 PM »
My opinion also. I disconnected the stupid cloudbook from the internet and it ran the ap just fine, but still getting no readings. I'm half tempted to sort through the whole couple hundred posts on this thread to boil it down to a usable how-to so I can get Guzzidiag to work.
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1068 on: July 14, 2016, 04:22:16 PM »
GearheadGrrrl,

Not sure what the problem is? You should have your cables, GuzziDiag, the reader and writer for your ECU and you should be good to go.

From your last post, it almost read that you were trying to get info with the reader. GuzziDiag is for the info, reader and writer only work to up/download the file on the ECU.

Let us know more?
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1069 on: July 14, 2016, 06:58:58 PM »
I was following the instructions on page 1, which told me to use the reader. I've tried Guzzidiag with three different computers running Windoze and Mac OS with little or no success. Best result was managing to get some data while running under OSX, but it wouldn't save any data. I think part of the problem is that this whole thread needs to be cleaned up and updated into a howto. Another problem may be that Guzzidiag was written for older OSs like Windoze XP that are no longer available, and doesn't work "out of the box" with the Windoze 10 I'm now stuck with.

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #1070 on: July 14, 2016, 07:14:57 PM »
What bike are you working on?  And remember, only one application open at a given time; writer, reader, and Guzzidiag.
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

beetle

« Reply #1071 on: July 14, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »
I'm sorry the tutorial isn't written in "Spoonfed 101" language. The first post on the Reader tells you how to backup your map. It doesn't say "you must do this first".

For Windoze users, this howto also says to download correct drivers. The guzzidiag software runs fine on Windows 10. And Linux. And MacOS. I'm sorry if I assumed you might have a clue how to use a computer.

twowings

« Reply #1072 on: July 14, 2016, 07:39:16 PM »
It works fine with Win10...took me less than 12 minutes for the whole save/write/reset TPS routine...the first page of the thread is all you need...you have a config or install problem...McAfee is NOT state-of-the-art software...

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1073 on: July 14, 2016, 08:16:14 PM »
It works fine with Win10...took me less than 12 minutes for the whole save/write/reset TPS routine...the first page of the thread is all you need...you have a config or install problem...McAfee is NOT state-of-the-art software...

:1:

Absolutely no problem with Windows 10.

Mark

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1074 on: July 14, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »
I'm not the expert here....With that said....

It sounds like you have the correct cables to link a PC/Tablet to the bike via USB.

You have downloaded and installed GuzziDiag as well as well as the reader and the writer.

I would start with GuzziDiag (GD for short) and make sure you can connect to the bike.

Once the cable driver is properly installed on your PC/Tablet and the cables are hooked to the bike. Start GD and select file/preferences and select the bike you have, Quota I believe. Com is usually right, but if it does not connect, try a different number and repeat the connection process. Click connect and follow the prompts. Once connected GD will give you the info on your bike, like temp, throttle position and the like.

If GD does not connect, it's probably a wrong com port selected or a cable driver problem. Much of this post/thread is related to connection problems and how to solve them with various OS's. I still need to fix a com issue where I have a 50/50 chance on which port I need to use, one day I'll fix that when I have the time LOL.

I hope this helps a bit. The GD software is pretty easy. The cable driver can be tough. For the driver give the thread a read. GD does have some querks with the prompts, found a few and have lead others around them once I figured it out.

If you can narrow down your problem, I'm sure it can be solved.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:59:25 AM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #1075 on: July 15, 2016, 09:21:28 AM »
Another huge vote for Beetle's map...got it installed on my 2008 Norge and the bike has been transformed.  It's a night and day difference in smoothness, vibration and feeling...I'm absolutely amazed at the difference.

Thanks Chris (TwoWings) for lending me the cables...got a set on the way now for the future...GD software/read/write process was super easy.

You techie guys are amazing...I'm only kicking myself for not having done this years ago...the bike feels like a 4 cylinder in smoothness by comparison now...will have a nice long run on it this weekend.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1076 on: July 15, 2016, 12:02:25 PM »
I'm sorry the tutorial isn't written in "Spoonfed 101" language. The first post on the Reader tells you how to backup your map. It doesn't say "you must do this first".

For Windoze users, this howto also says to download correct drivers. The guzzidiag software runs fine on Windows 10. And Linux. And MacOS. I'm sorry if I assumed you might have a clue how to use a computer.

Beetle, get over your sexism. I learned how to code in the 60s, qualified as a tech at the Post Office, and have been playing with Linux since the late 90s, including installing it on an early netbook. The problem may be with the connections on my bike, being that I haven't been able to make it work with several different computers. The cable tests OK, but it's a newer one that doesn't have the negative lead so that could be the problem. There is also the possibility that all the "forking" of the various OSs has produced newer "upgraded" OSs that Guzzidiag won't totally work on, to say nothing of the differences between the cloudbook, laptop, and desktop versions of Windoze 10. To fix these glitches we need everyone's help and I was tempted to offer to compile and update the howto so you don't have to read through 37 pages to use it. But heck, if you wanna be king geek of Guzzidiag, who am I to stop you?

beetle

« Reply #1077 on: July 15, 2016, 06:20:52 PM »
Get over yourself. I don't give a shit what your gender is. Some of the smartest people I know are female. Also, your claim of coding since I was a boy and using Linux since 90's (who didn't?) just tells me your elevated ego won't allow you look past the bleeding obvious that it's not GuzziDiag or Windows 10. Quite a few computer-challenged folk have managed to get it to work without crying or bitching. Boo hoo. All you need to know is in the first few posts, if you can't figure it it out, it's you, not the software. I would have been happy to assist you, but now you can bugger off.

BTW, you are not "stuck" with Windows 10. Did you think to try to boot Linux with a USB drive? Your such a Linux expert you could have had it running in no time. You must be a Linux expert, you've been using since the 90's....

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1078 on: July 15, 2016, 08:30:48 PM »
Yup, loaded Linux onto a bootable thumb drive a couple years back, now trying to remember where I put it. Spent the day bringing a Mac Mini back to life by making a bootable OSX thumb drive for it, got it running, reinstalled Parallels, and now reinstalling Windoze 8. Yea, I know, I'm a dumb female who has difficulty finding the power switch...

beetle

« Reply #1079 on: July 15, 2016, 08:35:45 PM »
Yea, I know, I'm a dumb female who has difficulty finding the power switch...

Enough of that! I'm no misogynist and detest same. Stop it. Remember to make sure your user is part of the dialout group.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here