Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554063 times)

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #1170 on: September 04, 2016, 08:45:40 AM »

Finally got it to work, does this look normal for a Quota 1100? CO seems to stay at 100 no matter what, but idles way to high all of a sudden. Will look into throttle cables and see if they're hanging up somewhere.

thanks in advance, Diana

Co is a reading of the setting in the ecu, so you won't see it changing, unless you change it with guzzidiag. Co setting let it run more or less rich in lower revs. 100 seems a bit high, but if it is running fine, leave it.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #1171 on: September 04, 2016, 08:49:54 AM »
Luap, mgx has the 7sm, just choose cali 1400 in guzzidiag.

For the cali, does it have the big 7x7"ecu box, or a small cigarette case behind the sindecover?   the big is p8, can't be porgrammed with guzzidiag, the small box, 15m can.

Thanks Paul.  Hers is a 15M for sure than.  I thought my dealer said the MGX has a completely new ECU, guess not. 

Where does one get the 7SM software?  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:51:41 AM by Luap McKeever »
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

pete roper

« Reply #1172 on: September 04, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
(Sigh!) All they have to do is look at the spec sheet. There it is! 7SM! How hard can it be?

It probably has different mapping to the earlier bikes that takes into account the effect of the air injection but it's the same ECU with the same inputs as all the previous 1400's.

Pete

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #1173 on: September 04, 2016, 09:51:58 AM »
Thanks Paul.  Hers is a 15M for sure than.  I thought my dealer said the MGX has a completely new ECU, guess not. 

Where does one get the 7SM software?  Thanks again.

Guzzidag does the 7sm, but the reader/writer for maps isn't there yet.
Paul

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1173 on: September 04, 2016, 09:51:58 AM »

pete roper

« Reply #1174 on: September 04, 2016, 10:32:31 AM »
Can you clear the service icon? Yeah, I know the dash code but not many people do and I've been told my life won't be worth living if I tell anyone. :rolleyes: if you can do it with Guzzidiag it'll at least let me tell people so they stop thinking I'm a bastard! :laugh:

Pete

ArizonaPaul

« Reply #1175 on: September 05, 2016, 10:12:05 PM »
Recently joined the Stelvio crowd and read through 35 pages of this thread.  I have ordered my cables from the UK and when they arrive I will look at ordering a map from Beetle.  This has been very informative and I look forward to having my Stelvio run as it was intended.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #1176 on: September 06, 2016, 04:25:41 AM »
Can you clear the service icon? Yeah, I know the dash code but not many people do and I've been told my life won't be worth living if I tell anyone. :rolleyes: if you can do it with Guzzidiag it'll at least let me tell people so they stop thinking I'm a bastard! :laugh:

Pete

Well luckily some other bastard posted it right in the open internet:

http://www.mgcn.nl/forum/index.php?showtopic=20186

now just waiting for a v9 code, but I suppose because the dash is different make, there won't be one.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:27:00 AM by pauldaytona »
Paul

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1177 on: September 06, 2016, 06:11:00 AM »
How many degrees is the TPS at closed throttle?
You are showing 4000 RPM or so.

My info shows that a Quota should be 1.4 degrees at closed throttle/idle.

With the engine warm I'm getting about 3.5 degrees at closed throttle at 1500 RPM.
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1178 on: September 06, 2016, 06:14:29 AM »
Co is a reading of the setting in the ecu, so you won't see it changing, unless you change it with guzzidiag. Co setting let it run more or less rich in lower revs. 100 seems a bit high, but if it is running fine, leave it.

It fouls spark plugs, though usually only one. Maybe I should try turning the CO down some?
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1179 on: September 06, 2016, 06:23:19 AM »

Can you clarify regarding the CO trim? Are you saying you can't modify it?

I haven't tried to change the CO, just noting that it stays the same regardless of throttle opening and RPM.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #1180 on: September 06, 2016, 09:08:53 AM »
I haven't tried to change the CO, just noting that it stays the same regardless of throttle opening and RPM.

That CO trim setting is like an idle mixture screw. It stays where you put it.

100 is pretty rich. You might try setting it closer to zero. I assume someone did that for a reason though.
Also, it sounds like your idle speed is too high, causing the TPS to be too high. Like I said, my data shows that it should be 1.4 degrees. But then I never did anything on a Quota, and I know they are finicky.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

redrider

« Reply #1181 on: September 06, 2016, 03:02:23 PM »
I am puzzled by the error messages. The only one I had pop up was "Not a file type saved by reader but it's you choice" So what are the messages that can show up? And I was able to save and view the stored map anyway.

ArizonaPaul

« Reply #1182 on: September 29, 2016, 12:55:54 PM »
OK, I ordered the correct cables, download the correct reader, writer, and Guzzi Diag for a Mac, tried to connect and learned I had to disable my anti-virus.  Played with it for a bit just to see what all was on it.

Today I ordered a map from Beetle and went to work loading it.  Read my factory map without a problem.  Opened writer, found the new map, and wrote it to the ECM just like it said it would.  Opened Guzzi Diag and it wouldn't read it at all.Connect, disconnect multiple times.  Finally went and trashed the entire operation and re-downloaded everything including the drivers again and again. Finally got it to say it was connected on my computer, but not on my dash with the ECM icon and the plugs.  What am I'm missing.

I also tried to adjust the CO.  On the measurement page it shows 0 and I tried to adjust it to -3.  The RPM dropped about 100, but there is no where I can find to save the change I made.  Going back to the measurement page CO is still listed as 0 and all other numbers were 1s and 8s.  I shut it down and started over.  Second time was almost a repeat of the first except the numbers all changed to 1s and 3s.

I am going to go out for a ride and see how she runs.  I know her idle sounds better and throttle response seems markedly better sitting in the garage.

beetle

« Reply #1183 on: September 29, 2016, 05:04:23 PM »
CO trim adjustments only work when the engine is at 60 degrees C or higher.

The disconnect icon only appears when writing a map.

beetle

« Reply #1184 on: September 29, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »
I deleted that reference to the icon.

ArizonaPaul

« Reply #1185 on: September 29, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »
Thanks Beetle!  The bike now runs great, she is smooth as silk when rolling away from a light, the choppy, chunky throttle is gone, there is still a bit of a vibration between 3,500 and 3,900 RPM, but I think I need to give it more than 80 miles to settle down.  That and I'm not convinced I am perfect on my throttle body balancing.

beetle

« Reply #1186 on: September 29, 2016, 06:45:31 PM »
Recheck your TB balance. If you still have a vibe I can maybe tweak the map for you.

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
« Reply #1187 on: October 05, 2016, 07:07:23 AM »
On V7 II I have three connectors under the seat. One is for OBD, what are other two? One is larger and one smaller...
Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1188 on: October 05, 2016, 08:02:24 AM »
CO trim adjustments only work when the engine is at 60 degrees C or higher.

The disconnect icon only appears when writing a map.

Yeh that got me too!  I was looking for the icon to show up when I connected Guzzidiag but no such luck even though I was getting readings in the software.  Just kept following your excellent pictorial based procedure, however, and everything worked out including eventually seeing the icon. 

Just a quick plug for Mark's map while I have a chance.  The rollered 8V is pretty darn good once you chunk the sucky spark plug caps.  Mark's map makes it "better" by smoothing out the powerband, fixing bad behavior in the lower rpms (down to 2k is easy in any gear), and increasing mpg.  Any one of those is worth the price of his map for a stock bike, and I would assume it would be a must have if you have an aftermarket exhaust.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline LeakyLogic

• New Egg
« Reply #1189 on: October 13, 2016, 11:31:02 PM »
Besides turning off the O2 sensor, Is a good starting point to increase a stock map's low end fueling (area previously affected by narrow band O2 sensor) by a multiple of roughly 3%. I read how to do this on the tunerPro tutorial by Beetle. I assume this is to compensate for E10 fuel. Or is this a bad idea because the stock map is rich already. Then adjust CO trim as needed. I am trying to understand not just the how, but also the why of it all. I'm working with a stock B1100 map, 2230BA10.

beetle

« Reply #1190 on: October 14, 2016, 01:33:02 AM »
Given that the trims are generally removing fuel in the closed loop area (<5000 RPM), once you've turned lambda off, and reset the trims, you are usually on the rich side when running a stock exhaust. This will vary with volumetric efficiency. Unless you are logging the AFR, I would not recommend a blanket 3% increase, but use the CO trim. CO trim will modify the pulse-width across the the rev range, but it's affects are greatest at idle and lower RPM due to its apparent non-linear affect.

janusz

« Reply #1191 on: October 20, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »
I wonder if this happens to anybody, trying to write a map to my 09 CalVin (the backup of the original) and the process is running already one hour. When I trying to close the window the message "Programming is running" (see below). Not sure what I should do now, it is save to turn ignition off and start again? Thanks!

beetle

« Reply #1192 on: October 20, 2016, 09:30:39 PM »
Weird. When it's programming, it say "programming"  where it shows "uploading". I'd be tempted to switch the key off. I've done that on purpose with a 5AM, but could not brick the ECU. The writer doesn't delete the software for communication, so you should be OK.

janusz

« Reply #1193 on: October 20, 2016, 10:45:27 PM »
Weird. When it's programming, it say "programming"  where it shows "uploading". I'd be tempted to switch the key off. I've done that on purpose with a 5AM, but could not brick the ECU. The writer doesn't delete the software for communication, so you should be OK.

When you say I should be OK it means that I should be able to connect to ECU but at this point the mapping is erased since this is the first function of Writer to erase existing map from the ECU, correct? If mapping is erased I assume the bike will not start, correct?

The first attempt to write the original map was stopped by my laptop which run out battery juice and shut down. At this point I had to turn off ignition and decided to try again. The second attempt failed after about 2 hours and this is messages I received:

At this point bike battery was almost dead, the lights were very weak despite the fact the bike was hook up to battery tender.

I wonder if 64-bit Windows 8.1 has to do anything with this problem, the COM3 port is assigned by Windows and Windows driver is used. Curious if installing one of those drivers CDM20814_WHQL_Certi fied or CDM_2.08.24_WHQL_Ce rtified will help?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:04:43 PM by janusz »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #1194 on: October 20, 2016, 11:05:18 PM »
Unplug the headlight. You may need a 'healthier' charger to keep the bike battery alive.
PLUG IN THE LAPTOP.
Shut down any screen savers or virus scanners.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

beetle

« Reply #1195 on: October 21, 2016, 12:55:09 AM »
..and definitely install the certified drivers.

Yes, you will have start the map load again.

janusz

« Reply #1196 on: October 21, 2016, 06:13:17 AM »
Wayne and beetle, thank you very much for your comments and suggestions!

My laptop has no virus scanner install nor screensaver setup. I hope the battery is recovered by now, left overnight on battery tender. I will disconnect the headlight and install certified drivers today. I thought the driver may be the source of problem but when I tried to run GuzziDiag and it worked fine I assume the Writer will work as well.

Thanks again!

janusz

« Reply #1197 on: October 21, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »
Installation of certified driver (CDM_2.08.24_WHQL_Ce rtified) fixed the problem 100%. Thanks you!

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #1198 on: November 07, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »
Beetle...

Have you done any work on maps for the V11 Scura? 

I haven't checked yet if the cables I use for the Norge will also work to hook up GuzziDiag for the Scura, but in the event they do and I can get readouts on live values...any suggestions on maps for it?  I have no idea what it's set at right now in terms of trim levels or others.  Rides great, but as I found with the Norge, what feels great stock can always be improved with one of your maps.

Many thanks in advance...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

beetle

« Reply #1199 on: November 07, 2016, 07:41:45 PM »
Not to date. I would love to get my hands on a Scura to remap it.   :evil:

The cables will work. You'll need the 15x versions of the reader & writer. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here