Author Topic: V85 beware  (Read 5630 times)

Amstaff

Re: V85 beware
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »
It sounds like you need to check your preload settings. You repeatedly encounter wobbles. You have one preload on front and one on rear. Rule of thumb is sag from rider and bike deadload should be 1/3 of the travel, which I think is 6.9” on the V85.

Manufacturers have test riders whose work is to tune the chassis design and suspension settings to avoid what you’re experiencing.

Something is wrong.

Online Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2021, 02:45:25 PM »
I've done several passes in the mid 90' on my 2021 85tt with Dunlop trailsmart max tires, loaded side cases and large duffel on top. Bike has been rock solid in some pretty harsh side winds. Never any cause for concern.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2021, 03:30:16 PM »
I forgot, check the spokes as well as the swingarm bearings.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2021, 03:42:21 PM »
After I lost the front end on my V85 in strong side winds and a wet road, I decided that the Michelin Anakee Adventure tyres were not for me.  Coupled with the fact that I don't ride off-road, and try to avoid gravel roads where possible.

They were replaced with Michelin Road 5 Trail, and the difference was chalk and cheese.

Incidentally, I found the same issue when I purchased and Indian FTR1200S.  It too had off road tyres, I obviously hadn't learnt my lesson.  These were replaced with Battlax Sport Touring T32, again a move I haven't regretted.

Finally to add my $0.02¢ to setting preload.  I agree with Huzo, adjusting preload settings alters the ride height only (for non-progressive springs).  Nothing more.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2021, 03:42:21 PM »

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2021, 03:52:00 PM »
Would checking the steering head bearings be of any value?

Amstaff

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2021, 04:39:17 PM »

Finally to add my $0.02¢ to setting preload.  I agree with Huzo, adjusting preload settings alters the ride height only (for non-progressive springs).  Nothing more.
[/quote]

Ride height is an important issue, is related to chassis stability and is affected by preload regardless of if the spring is progressive. The OP could weigh alot and have the max setting on front preload and the min (which he already indicated because he had trouble reaching) on rear. Start in the middle on all the settings or as recommended in the manual….

Then get the front off the ground and shake the fork legs from front to back to check for steering head play. Then check that the front GLIDES smoothly through the steering range. It should require almost no force and no notchy feel. Then  grab the rear tire when off the ground and check for swingarm play. Chassis pivot points should be okay an a bike so new…..

Something is wrong with the setup. It sounds like he may be heavy and has trouble reaching. The bike doesn’t  care. Use the right spring  and preload for the weight

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2021, 05:31:08 PM »
  I agree with Huzo, adjusting preload settings alters the ride height only (for non-progressive springs).  Nothing more.
Check out the “this might come as a shock” latest post Dave.
I’ll do it now.

Amstaff

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »
His thread is just muddying the water for him, unless a poster can actually look at his bike and eliminate the conjecture. He needs to figure it out  or have someone do it before he gets killed.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2021, 08:41:04 PM »
His thread is just muddying the water for him, unless a poster can actually look at his bike and eliminate the conjecture. He needs to figure it out  or have someone do it before he gets killed.
That’s why I started the one about pre load, it was rapidly submerging the intended topic.
However, whatever the root cause ends up to be, extraneous information cannot be a bad thing, as long as you don’t necessarily expect it to contain a solution.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2021, 11:47:20 PM »
You speak truly ex great one...(a deep and knowing nod..)
You were indeed lost, but it seems you have now found your way....(deep bow accompanied by the crashing of a gong in unison..)
Follow me Sir, and I shall lead you towards the aura of enlightenment.
Fear not on your journey, the light you see before you is but a train coming the other way... :thumb:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 01:03:10 AM by Huzo »

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2021, 06:28:43 AM »
I'm wondering if removing the windshield would have an effect.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2021, 07:39:18 AM »
I'm wondering if removing the windshield would have an effect.

Sarah
I don’t think it would Sarah. From my experience most of the issues being discussed in this thread are rear shock related.

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2021, 07:53:52 AM »
I experienced much the same thing on a V7II while riding to California and back earlier this year.  Pelican-style cases on HB racks and a Dart Marlin shield.  I posted about it along the way and got lots of suggestions, tried everything to some benefit but nothing resolved the issue completely.  If I had it to do over I'd remove that screen just to see.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Amstaff

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2021, 08:10:36 AM »
That’s why I started the one about pre load, it was rapidly submerging the intended topic.
However, whatever the root cause ends up to be, extraneous information cannot be a bad thing, as long as you don’t necessarily expect it to contain a solution.
Reading and writing are having a limited effect. A simple adjustment and/or ruling out steering stem misadjustment would likely resolve…..

Extraneous information is a hindrance to getting a point across, maybe even to reading in the first place.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2021, 08:32:36 AM »
Reading and writing are having a limited effect. A simple adjustment and/or ruling out steering stem misadjustment would likely resolve…..

Extraneous information is a hindrance to getting a point across, maybe even to reading in the first place.
If there is “a point to get across”, could you share it with us..?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:34:56 AM by Huzo »

Amstaff

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2021, 08:59:38 AM »
If there is “a point to get across”, could you share it with us..?
There may be a place for science projects/lessons but this didn't look like it, when the original poster had problems articulating. The diffuse, possibly erroneous nature of ensuing posts, and your separate thread made me feel the need to reply.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2021, 09:22:19 AM »
There may be a place for science projects/lessons but this didn't look like it, when the original poster had problems articulating. The diffuse, possibly erroneous nature of ensuing posts, and your separate thread made me feel the need to reply.
Reply by all means, your input is as good as anyone’s.
But that’s why I took the conversation about pre load to another thread, it’s been going on for a few years. Rudy does not have to concern himself with it if he does not want to, indeed I can’t see why he would. But there are people who are interested, have you seen the number of views ?
Now maybe we can get out of Rudy’s thread.

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2021, 12:15:35 PM »
I adjusted the rear mono shock was on lowest setting.  On front fork judgment, is screw & lock nut just for rebound?  My windshield I’m going to adjust the angel. Rudy

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2021, 12:37:10 PM »
What tire pressures are you running Rudy?
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2021, 04:02:05 PM »
The 14MM nut on the fork is preload and the screw is for rebound. I'd start with 1 turn from no preload and the rebound mid way.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »
I don’t know the cause but I read a tip that made sense as to what to do if this happens.The late Oak,bmw expert,suggests To loosen your grip on the left and centrifugal force will stop the wobble.Apparently the impulse to hang on tight is counterproductive and aggravates the problem.I think you do not abruptly release the throttle but gradually slow until the shaking stops.A very terrifying experience and a professional Guzzi test rider was killed in LA in the 60s trying to solve the problem on police bikes .This happened to him on a race track,I don’t know if they ever figured out th the cause or the fix.I had it happen to me on my Eldo back in 79 and solved it by removing the handlebar Wixom fairing.

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2021, 08:35:51 PM »
I had check the tire pressure the next day after I had the wable.  But not since then.  I have had a wable at the speed I was going, but it was not bad as I had this( test riding a KLR at sturgis)time.  And had bad wable at lower speed but not like the one I had on the V85.  I’m going to run slower on freeways.  And stay on more gravel mt. roads exploring and camping,and mt. fishing.  No camping next week taking my wife on a cruise ( going to the front line’s so to speak on the --19 war).Rudy

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2021, 08:40:54 PM »
Start by slowing down.  Go from there.

I’m forced to ride the slab living in the northeast. NEVER have I had to do 90+ to pass anything.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:44:32 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
Start by slowing down.  Go from there.

I’m forced to ride the slab living in the northeast. NEVER have I had to do 90+ to pass anything.
Oh, man- I-55 south out of Chicago is just crazy fast.  I was doing 90 on my Ducati and was passed like I was standing still.  Now, to be honest, there is no reason to drive slow in that landscape (no offense to anyone living there). 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here