Author Topic: Concrete floor surface restoration help (NGC)  (Read 923 times)

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Concrete floor surface restoration help (NGC)
« on: September 28, 2021, 03:27:48 PM »
Hello folks, I have an old  concrete sidewalk, and small  concrete patio at my home where the surface of the concrete has become rough, exposing the gravel, in the mix, and its getting worse with the record monsoon rains we got this summer. It looks structurally solid, just the top surface has "eroded". My wife has been after me to do something about this, going back 2-3 Guzzis...!  Other than breakin it up ,and re pouring it,Is there any product that I can trowel on or roll on that will save the surface of  failing,weathered concrete?
Thank for any advice and suggestions
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Concrete floor surface restoration help (NGC)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 03:38:07 PM »
It sounds like the concrete didn't cure properly, as in it dried out on top before the curing process was done. Common problem with sidewalks and outdoor slabs. Today they spray retarder on after troweling and finishing so the water doesn't evaporate. Now after a number of years the top inch or two is crumbling. Don't know of any product to restore the crumbly part.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »

A couple of photos of the area.
Rick

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 05:42:31 PM »

These Guys, https://americanepoxyarizona.com/uncategorized/about-american-epoxy-arizona/ Did a small patio and pool deck area for my buddy in Chandler.Looks great, wasn't cheap. My$.02

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 07:55:32 PM »
Restoring spalled exterior concrete surfaces is expensive and the results vary significantly based upon the approach. You are lucky to be in a frost free enviroment so the freeze / thaw cycles that plauge concrete in more northern climates is not an issue for you.

In my past working life I specified various repairs to exterior concrete and honestly was not overly satisfied with any measures over the long haul.

Considering the structure is sound, the slabs do not exhibit multiple stress / shrinkage cracks, the 'best' approach is to chip away the top cement surface, a 'scrabbler' is a walk behind machine that chips away at the surface and exposes the aggregate. You can rent a scrabbler from most proffesional rental shops. Another aproach is to use a bush hammer bit on a jack hammer type tool, the bush hammer will also chip away the cement and expose the aggregate.

Once the surface is prepared a topping can be applied with a trowel or in some cases the topping product is self leveling and can be poured over the surface. You will need to make form edges to which you will screed the topping to a level surface.

Sika makes many concrete repair products and Home Depot sells some of their products.

https://can.sika.com/en/construction/concrete-repair-protection/repair-resurfacing/resurfacing/sikatop-121-plus.html

I would suggest you talk to a local concrete specialty supply business and see what they reccomend for a topping.

48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 11:37:37 PM »
I'm in construction. Asphalt and concrete.

For resurfacing concrete-

Ardex CD is the really good stuff and will hold up to a box store entrance. Shopping carts, tires etc. Overkill for your purposes.

I've used Rapid Set "NewCrete" concrete resurfacer at my home. Go by home depot, pick up a box or two, a bucket, a paddle mixer and a large squeegee. It works great as long as you clean the surface and don't seal over any joints. Quick and easy.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 12:03:02 PM »
Hey Guys, I cant thank you enough!  Those suggestions are exactly what I was looking for.  I appreciate the recommendations of specific products to use and where to get them. I will be doing this myself, before it gets too cold, I will put up some pics, when finished.
Thanks again,
Rick.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 12:20:35 PM »
I'm in construction. Asphalt and concrete.

For resurfacing concrete-

Ardex CD is the really good stuff and will hold up to a box store entrance. Shopping carts, tires etc. Overkill for your purposes.

I've used Rapid Set "NewCrete" concrete resurfacer at my home. Go by home depot, pick up a box or two, a bucket, a paddle mixer and a large squeegee. It works great as long as you clean the surface and don't seal over any joints. Quick and easy.

Yeah, I'd go with Ardex as they make a great product. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 06:53:24 PM »
Watch some of Mike Haduck's videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO9ERKsnZVc
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 01:58:15 PM »
Thank you, Randy. That video was helpful.
Rick.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here