Author Topic: Ratio of Moto Guzzi to Harleys?  (Read 2844 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Ratio of Moto Guzzi to Harleys?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2021, 06:45:03 PM »
"Exclusivity" is a super funny term. It means that is limited to a few in some way. But what few and why?

In many instances it's meant as wealth, plain and simple. X is better because only people who are special enough to have this amount of wealth can afford it.

In other instances it means some amorphous quality that only a true aficionado can recognize, and in doing so proves himself "better" then his peers who don't choose the same as him.

In some instances it means a human achievement that was accomplished only by some extreme feat that few can hope to match.

But mostly, if it's not the last, it means absolutely nothing..

Yes it's fun that Guzzis aren't seen everywhere. But it's a shallow part of the experience. Sorry, but your things don't make you a special snowflake. See above.

I like, what I like and that matters not at all to any but me and maybe a little too my loved ones.
  <--- HINT "]" was missing here!!!

Oh Kev, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, but I can see how I did.  :grin:   Perhaps I should have said rarity instead of exclusivity, but snowflake would imply singularity, which I did not say. 

Kev said, "I like, what I like and that matters not at all to any but me and maybe a little too my loved ones."
People, love to say words to this effect, if I had $20 for each time I heard someone say, "I don't give a shit what other people think",  I would have a pretty substantial pile of cash.   We all like to say, and we try to convince ourselves it's true, but in large part, it is not.   We all care far more about what other people think than we let on.  It's a manifestation of being social beings living as members of an incredibly structured society.

Adding extra full extra end-quote [/QUOTE] <--- tag there to separate my reply.

The only thing that ruffled me was your inability to use a quote tag just now.  :tongue:

On the last bit I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying I don't care what others think. I was actually saying others don't care what I think (except a few loved ones).

That said when I buy the toys I buy, I do so based on what I want and not based on my perception of what I think others think about what I want. Maybe that's a version of what you're talking about. I like what I like for reasons much more important to me than the perception of what others will see. I certainly don't buy it to impress the neighbors, most of them have no idea what a Ducati or Guzzi is that makes it different from a Harley.

And considering the level of prejudice Harley riders face with owners of so many other brands I certainly don't like what I like to impress them.

There are certainly things I want people to think of me or not to think of me. But my choice of motorcycle has pretty much nothing to do with it

That more better clearer?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:41:42 AM by rocker59 »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2021, 07:09:00 PM »
A bit crude to be sure, but I guess it will pass. :wink:
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2021, 07:51:34 PM »
Here is the SF Bay Area, the ratio of Moto Guzzis to Harley's seems to be less than 1 in 500... except when the Mystery Fleet Of V7s sweeps past.  No one knows who they are, where they come from, or when they may appear again, but whenever they do, for one brief and glorious moment the world is as it should be  :laugh:

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2021, 09:03:22 PM »
Reggie Jackson said it best … “Because the only person I have to impress is me!”
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2021, 09:03:22 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2021, 09:25:28 PM »
I think you have me confused with someone else. While I do use my truck to p/u new to me motorcycles after that I ride them to and from destinations.

No, I don't have you confused with someone else.  You trailer as much as my friends trailer.  I know that for a fact. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2021, 07:02:13 AM »
the only Guzzi I see belongs to a friend..I see lots of Harleys, not my type of bike so I just pay no attention to them, but will be friendly.I don't care for huge touring or dual sport bikes but ot's ok...Guys with Harley hate, in my opinion ,are snobs...They probably wear only brand name clothing and pay for haircuts...

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2021, 07:05:52 AM »
Crazy I don't even own a trailer. I do pick up motorcycle I've bought in the bed of my truck. I mean I have to get them home somehow. Walking 100's of miles to the sellers house so I can ride my new purchase back really isn't feasible.

Boy, you're just not getting it are you.  As I said again, my friends trailer as much as you do, and that is a fact.  Do you get it now?
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2021, 07:25:50 AM »
A couples of the conversations here would be better served by PM or phone calls, please.

Dan

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2021, 07:46:20 AM »

I enjoy things that are rare and unusual.  Part of the reason I choose Guzzi.

We drove 2,000 miles a few weeks ago to central new Mexico and back home.

Quite a few motorcycles on the road.  I saw exactly one Moto Guzzi.  A white Cal 14.

BMW ADVbikes, Harleys, other big cruisers.  A few sporty bikes.  One Guzzi.

I kind of like that.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2021, 08:11:27 AM »

Quite a few motorcycles on the road.  I saw exactly one Moto Guzzi.  A white Cal 14.

I kind of like that.

I chose Moto Guzzi at first for the shaft drive in a non-cruiser, non-touring bike.  Second because the V7 line has much in common with Harley Davidsons.  Air Cooled, Classically Styled, Metal Parts, Heritage. 

In a way Moto Guzzi is the Harley Davidson of the Italian Bike makers.   :wink:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2021, 08:59:44 AM »

I kind of like that.
I also just returned from a 2 thousand mile trip to Maine to visit my Guzzi family member and out of hundreds of motorcycles I saw, the only guzzi’s I saw was the two of Lucian’s I rode.

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2021, 03:34:35 PM »
Woof - all this talk about Harleys and trailers and Moto Guzzi(s) - and no pictures.

OK, I'll go first.  (pay no attention to that Honda pic)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 03:35:47 PM by kballowe »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2021, 03:48:16 PM »
Honestly I am not getting your diatribe's at all. What you think you know about me is neither fact or reality. It only what you think.

The fact is believe it or not I have never trailered a street motorcycle to a destination to ride. I ride them there and back. As stated I have used my truck to p/u bikes I have purchased but again its because I do not have time to walk to get them and ride them back. Or in some instances they were not roadworthy so walking there and pushing or carrying them home was not an option. The truck was a huge time saver. 

Also you might want to consider how you address people. The use of "Boy" is not very considerate. Some would take great offence to it.

I THINK he means that the same is true for his friends.

And I read that as short for "Oh boy, you're just not .." as in the colloquial phrase that expresses frustration not using it as a pronoun for you.

Art least that's what I'm thinking he means.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2021, 04:24:20 PM »
Honestly I am not getting your diatribe's at all. What you think you know about me is neither fact or reality. It only what you think.

The fact is believe it or not I have never trailered a street motorcycle to a destination to ride. I ride them there and back. As stated I have used my truck to p/u bikes I have purchased but again its because I do not have time to walk to get them and ride them back. Or in some instances they were not roadworthy so walking there and pushing or carrying them home was not an option. The truck was a huge time saver. 

Also you might want to consider how you address people. The use of "Boy" is not very considerate. Some would take great offence to it.

:drool:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »
I THINK he means that the same is true for his friends.

And I read that as short for "Oh boy, you're just not .." as in the colloquial phrase that expresses frustration not using it as a pronoun for you.

Art least that's what I'm thinking he means.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :bow:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2021, 06:34:00 PM »
"Boy" followed by a comma does not come off that way.

Yeah it does. Grammatically it means "Boy (pause)"

As in

"Oh boy, [sigh, here we go again]"

I understand your reading of it and it can be interpreted that way, though if it was a pronoun used like that is expect it to be an expletive and be followed by a "!" As opposed to a comma.

Meaning

"Boy!"

Though it COULD be used as you suggest I think you need to be bringing more to the conversation than I saw to read it that way.

Not to mention I don't think I've ever seen someone here use it that way, ya know like Thanos uses it when speaking to Ronan in Guardians of the Galaxy.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 06:34:57 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2021, 07:12:30 PM »
Let's not play the victim here.   :bike-037:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2021, 10:49:48 AM »
The ratio in my garage is one to one. Got one of the most common bikes on the planet(road glide) and one of the least (Griso). I figure my two old Hondas fall about in the middle.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2021, 05:43:22 PM »
Got to disagree I'm afraid, just did a survey employing the same methodology and the result was 5:0 in Guzzi's favour.

Nope, Scud's right..3 zip.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2021, 07:55:22 PM »
Does anyone have a guesstimate of what the ratio of Moto Guzzis is to Harleys out on the road?

Don’t know if current sales figures would reflect that ratio? Just wondering… Is it 1:500, 1:1,000, 1:5,000, 1:10,000?

5Brazillion:1  :cool:
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here