Author Topic: 1st Mow  (Read 1495 times)

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1st Mow
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2023, 02:57:09 AM »

I solved 80% of my lawn mowing headaches as well as reduced my annual mowing time by 80% simply by setting up my mowers so they cut the grass at about 5.5-6" high.  Some mowers won't cut that high without modification, but usually the modifications are quite easy.

Cut the lawn to a height of 5.5-6" high.  Then let it grow to a height about 9-10" before you cut again.

You'll find in the time it takes before you need to cut your lawn again, your neighbors, who are obviously bored and have nothing better to do with their time, have cut their lawns 4-5 times!

Of course this will depend on what kind of grass you have in your yard.

I can't count how many times my neighbors have asked me "Why is your lawn so green?  No one else's lawn looks that healthy!"

I always reply "I think you are cutting your lawn waaaaay too short.  Set your mower to cut as high as it can.  Then see what happens."

yes, 100% and I do this also. Most all cool season grasses love to be a little longer then most people cut at. Shields the soil, and makes for a stronger plant.
Paul B

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2023, 04:49:55 AM »
I'm reducing my cutting times by leaving the grass tall enough, that I can let it grow more between cuttings.  I suspect my neighbors are cutting at about 3", so if the grass grows above 4" before they cut it again, the grass is so short it can not hide the clippings.  So they cut their lawn 4 times as often as I do.  I assume they are doing this primarily because they are bored and they have nothing better to do.

But 6" grass after being cut, easily hides the 4" that was cut off the top.  The other advantage of tall grass is that it "shades" the lawn.  Surprise, surprise, my lawn is still green while theirs is browning all summer long.

I suspect some grass types mulch better than other types, and some mower blades mulch better than other blades.

If you experiment, you just might save yourself a lot of time and effort. 

It always fascinates me that for some people, the correct height of grass is whatever their father thought it should be when they were kids.  Almost like a profession of the proper faith.  My neighbors are funny.  They admit my lawn looks better than theirs, but they can bring themselves to cut it at a taller height.

I mow at 4 inches per the lawn treaters recommendation. In peak seasons grass needs mowed every outlet day to cut off 2 inches of new growth. I cannot slow the growth speed of the grass so the only to cut down cutting time is is as stated bigger and/or faster equipment.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2023, 11:01:09 AM »
I mow at 4 inches per the lawn treaters recommendation. In peak seasons grass needs mowed every outlet day to cut off 2 inches of new growth. I cannot slow the growth speed of the grass so the only to cut down cutting time is is as stated bigger and/or faster equipment.

I agree with your logic. 

But I also know what works for me.  If it takes one hour to mow two similar lawns, and my neighbor mows 28 times during the mowing season, while I mow only 7 times during the same season, I have cut my mowing time per year by 21 hours.

On the flip side, my retired neighbors with 1/10 acre of grass, who cut at 1.5" than mow again when it gets 2" high, and the rear wheels on their 30" riding mower are turning at about 25 rpm, and cut their lawns 45+ times per year seem to be having a good time and are happy with how their lawns look. 

Who am I to tell them to try something different? They are happy and they are getting 45 hours of recreational lawn mowing in the process.  I suspect they have a similar mindset to someone who washes their car or bike every week.  They are doing it because they enjoy it more than "because it needs to be done."

IIRC, you are in Northern Pennsylvania.  Similar soil to where I grew up outside Rochester NY.  Soil in south central Virginia does not promote rapid grass growth at all.

You guys also have much better Nightcrawlers.  Many in VA have never seen a worm the size of a small snake!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2023, 03:13:50 PM »
It was a great 80 degree day on Monday, so I rode my motorcycle.

Today it was 45 degrees and I mowed the lawn.  There are so much weed eating and leaves to blow took me 3+ hours.  Glad it was a cool day. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2023, 03:13:50 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2023, 03:18:27 PM »
I had 'Honey Do's' first then rode 8mi & got fuel to go 20 more, but now it's mostly full to get up to Mtns & back.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2023, 03:39:05 PM »
IIRC, you are in Northern Pennsylvania.  Similar soil to where I grew up outside Rochester NY.  Soil in south central Virginia does not promote rapid grass growth at all.

FWIW, Lance is in south Central PA, about 40 miles from me.
Charlie

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2023, 07:06:22 PM »
FWIW, Lance is in south Central PA, about 40 miles from me.

Ahh, yes!  Now I remember, I knew it was either northern or south Pennsylvania.

Still much better soil that south central VA.  The cursed stuff up there will grow anything.

Down here we are blessed with redish, claylike, topsoil.

Great for making bricks!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 07:19:12 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2023, 10:32:22 PM »
At the risk of being a glutton for punishment, I am not interested in cutting my half-acre lawn less.  It's great exercise with my Honda 160cc push mower on our sloped lot.  After a winter of laziness, I really anticipate the work to make the grass look nice.  We have had a long drought in Central TX (70 miles NW of Austin) and our once 35 square mile Lake Buchanan is down by about 25% and water level is down over 15'.   The Lake water has receded about 120' beyond the foot valve for my irrigation system, so next week will see me adding that much PVC 1.5" pipe to get the foot valve out to where the water now is.  There is no guarantee that the drought will lift and water will return to former levels.  Last time a drought like this came along was 2011.   We've had monthly rain, tho not near enough, and the grass is looking like it wants to return to fine form.  I got out the Scott's Triple Action, Southern Formula fertilizer and the spreader and got that done in anticipation of being to irrigate soon. 

If I get old, I'll buy a self-propelled mower, but I'm nowhere near old yet.  86 is the new 56, after all.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2023, 08:37:07 AM »
From my local survey, neither I nor half the neighborhood have done their first mowing of the season yet.  While other neighbors have mowed 5 times.

I'm sure that says more about the person than about the grass or the mower.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2023, 02:46:07 PM »
I mowed 2nd time in back Thursday, still too wet at the bottom. It was 78* and I rode later. I knew it was going to rain & go down to 34*. Good for a few more weeks & WIFE is content. It's not my house or yard, I just take care of it. If she passes I get kicked out.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here