Author Topic: 1200 Sport, driveshaft question  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
1200 Sport, driveshaft question
« on: March 08, 2015, 02:56:29 PM »
I have the rear swingarm off my 1200 Sport to grease the pivot bearings and just basically look things over.

My question is, how much play should be at the yoke where the driveshaft slips over the shaft coming out of the transmission? The yoke sort of rocks or wobbles on the transmission shaft.

Normal or not normal?

I've been chasing a vibration for the past couple of years and am wondering if this may be it?

Offline Greenman

• Hatchling
Re: 1200 Sport, driveshaft question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:16:17 PM »
my sport 1100 had the same problem for years... vibration only in 5th gear and u joint loose on the shaft. Yes it's a problem and yes change it soon. Mine could only be tightened with the cap screws done up to a zillion footpounds. When I got the new one the difference was immense, before the u joint would slip on and off real easy, with the new one I had to have the orientation exactly right before it would slide on and then I only had to torque the capscrews up to the value and it was tight. All the vibration stopped and it I was able to use 5th.
A wiggley u joint is not good for either the gearbox or bevelbox.
DD
Sport 1100 carb

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »
There are no cap screws. The yoke just slips onto the shaft and I believe is held on there with an internal snap ring. I have yet to be able to get the yoke off the transmission shaft.

There doesn't appear to be any play in the actual joint.

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:31:56 PM »
Pull the shaft rearwards and then give the front yoke a rap with a dead blow hammer. The yoke will pop off the output shaft.

There will always be some play in the splines. Only inspecting them closely with the shaft off will allow you to judge their true condition.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:31:56 PM »

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 09:02:48 PM »
What Pete said. Stop worrying and just smack it off and have a look. Once it's off, you can look right at the splines to see if there's wear. I would tend to doubt it. Most likely, the splines are dry and you should lube them with spline grease.

How do your swing arm bearings look?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here