Author Topic: Harbor Freight lift on sale next weekend  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
Harbor Freight lift on sale next weekend
« on: June 01, 2018, 09:11:51 PM »
just got back in from a sojourn to h. freight. the guy at the register stuck a sales brochure for next week's (8th 9th, 10th) "parking lot sale" into my cart. it appears that the standard red motorcycle lift will be on sale then for $289.99.  i haven't seen it that low for a while. no, i do not work for them and don't own any of their stock. i do have the standard red lift though and it works just fine.  the brochure says the item # 69904 is the one on sale but then qualifies the advertizement by stating that  item # "68892 shown." i have never figured out what that's all about with them. they often list an item with two different part numbers. as far as i can tell they are the same piece of equipment. if not it begs the question - why would they make two nearly identical tools, give them separate part numbers and then do nothing to describe the difference. weird.

anywho - this is a good price for a decent lift.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Harbor Freight lift on sale next weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 04:21:41 AM »
A bit of research shows the two different part numbers are about 30 pounds different in weight.
Some reviews commented that the lighter unit buckled or bent in use.
The advert picture is the heavier unit.
The sale item is the lighter unit.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 08:00:39 AM »
damn! that just seems downright sneaky and disreputable.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline Goosed_Again

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »
Haven't used it yet but got the yellow one off CL this week for $30... hope it works just as well for a dramatic savings over the red one!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 04:31:49 PM »
I bought this one last Saturday for $200. It'll be a nice addition to the three HF lifts I already have.

Charlie

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 04:49:48 PM »
I bought this one last Saturday for $200. 
wow, how can I get that kind of deal?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »
wow, how can I get that kind of deal?

You gotta' know people!  :laugh: I got it that cheap, because I bought it from my buddy Leo who has moved to Tucson.
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 06:12:48 PM »
Score..  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 06:16:03 PM »
A bit of research shows the two different part numbers are about 30 pounds different in weight.
Some reviews commented that the lighter unit buckled or bent in use. ...

anyone have an idea about where the 30 pounds comes from? what is the physical difference between the two? maybe a couple of angle iron braces will strengthen the bendable one?

ry
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
Did you see the pictures I posted last week with the bike strapped to the collapsed lift?  It's a heavy duty lift and went over when the piston air valve failed. Had it been a HF special it would have been twisted like tin foil and the bike would have hit the floor with force, probably taking the bike beside it too.   Nothing you can do will make a flimsy lift strong except replacing it.   Get the best you can afford.   Always chock and strap the bike to it,  and never rely on the hydraulic post to hold pressure.

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »
My wife bought me a HF bike lift for Fathers Day three years ago. All I can say is that it was a heavy bastard for one guy to deal with and set up in the shop. Maybe I got the heavy one? It has worked perfectly and I'm grateful for it.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 09:48:45 PM »
Did you see the pictures I posted last week with the bike strapped to the collapsed lift?  It's a heavy duty lift and went over when the piston air valve failed. Had it been a HF special it would have been twisted like tin foil and the bike would have hit the floor with force, probably taking the bike beside it too.   Nothing you can do will make a flimsy lift strong except replacing it.   Get the best you can afford.   Always chock and strap the bike to it,  and never rely on the hydraulic post to hold pressure.

no, i missed that post. i'll look for it. the h. freight models come with a pin that acts as a stop. it takes the pressure off of the pump and also acts as a safety to prevent (?) collapse catastrophe in the event of a pump failure post-positioning. i have never had any trouble with my h.f. lift but it doesn't get a lot of use - i mean its either down or its up with the locking pin in place. i added some metal rings to mine to give me more options for strapping up front.  i have yet to change out the chock for a better one - its on the list and may wind up being a nice weekend welding project. "nothing you can do to make a flimsy lift strong" sounds like good advice as is the old saw "get the best you can afford."

as i recall they loaded mine up with a fork lift. it was a beast to unbox and move into place. seemed more than heavy enough at the time but now i worry. i have to figure out whether mine is the 30 lbs heavier unit or not. still and all it would be nice to know what particular components make up that extra 30 pounds. charlie?
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 09:57:09 PM »
no, i missed that post. i'll look for it. the h. freight models come with a pin that acts as a stop. it takes the pressure off of the pump and also acts as a safety to prevent (?) collapse catastrophe in the event of a pump failure post-positioning. i have never had any trouble with my h.f. lift but it doesn't get a lot of use - i mean its either down or its up with the locking pin in place. i added some metal rings to mine to give me more options for strapping up front.  i have yet to change out the chock for a better one - its on the list and may wind up being a nice weekend welding project. "nothing you can do to make a flimsy lift strong" sounds like good advice as is the old saw "get the best you can afford."

as i recall they loaded mine up with a fork lift. it was a beast to unbox and move into place. seemed more than heavy enough at the time but now i worry. i have to figure out whether mine is the 30 lbs heavier unit or not. still and all it would be nice to know what particular components make up that extra 30 pounds. charlie?

Never had any doubt whether any of my three would hold the load. All three are stable, even when I climb up on the raised lift with a bike on occasion. I did go over the two I bought new and tightened fasteners, greased moving parts, etc. I too added extra tie-down points.

I've seen both supposed variations in different HF stores and I can't really see any difference other than one has "L" shaped base beams and the other has "C" shaped beams. The latter would seem to be stronger, but my newest HF lift has the "L" shaped ones and is still plenty sturdy. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:12:23 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 11:43:22 PM »

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96173.0

This one had the safety bar too.  It was a freak thing.  I didn't have it up far enough to use the bar when it happened.  I hope to take a peek underneath to see what all happened this coming week.

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 12:52:59 PM »
[quote

quote]

is this a h. freight lift? it doesn't look like mine. its not just the difference in paint color, the construction is a bit different as well.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

Offline 5154guzzi

• Gosling
    • Team Subtle Crowbar
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 01:17:42 PM »
I bought 3 HF lifts several years back , have had no problems with any of them, save the wheel chock design is fairly lame. One of them is much heavier duty than the other two, larger hydraulic ram and the supporting scissors structures are much thicker and wider. I think it could easily be 30#s heavier .  I remember the difference being that the lighter two are rated for 750# where the extra hd version is rated at 1000 #s,  but I could be mistaken by now. They are all the non air assist type , Recommend upgrade to a better chock for the front tire and always use the safety bar and then take the load off the jack.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »
[quote

quote]

is this a h. freight lift? it doesn't look like mine. its not just the difference in paint color, the construction is a bit different as well.

No, it's an industrial model of some brand.  My point being it's more substantial than anything HD offers and it's still not perfect.  So mind the safety steps.

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 02:15:35 PM »
... One of them is much heavier duty than the other two, larger hydraulic ram and the supporting scissors structures are much thicker and wider. I think it could easily be 30#s heavier .  I remember the difference being that the lighter two are rated for 750# where the extra hd version is rated at 1000 #s,...

ahhh, thanks. that's exactly what i wanted to know.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 06:40:00 AM »
anyone have an idea about where the 30 pounds comes from? what is the physical difference between the two? maybe a couple of angle iron braces will strengthen the bendable one?

ry

I do know that the access hole that the rear wheel sits on bent on mine, so I had to weld a brace around the outer edges of the panel.  Problem solved. I wonder if that's the difference? If so, a $2 piece of angle iron and a welding rod fixed mine up in no time.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 09:37:03 AM »
 I bought the 68892 lift on sale a few years ago for about $290.. It's always in use  , I build and service my race junk on it ..And it also works well for snowblowers, a welding table, work table for rebuilding  truck transmissions or axles, or use for cutting lumber..With slight jury rigging it becomes an ATV lift...Minor complaint about the small castor wheels makes it difficult to roll around on my shop floor littered with cast off junk....And it leaks a drop of hydraulic oil from time to time...

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here