Author Topic: Rare White SPIII on Craigslist MN  (Read 23479 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Rare White SPIII on Craigslist MN
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2015, 12:29:19 PM »
I pretend that they don't have linked brakes, and use the front normally. It's just a *lot* more powerful when you add the "rear". I transition effortlessly from linked to unlinked that way. No thinking required.. :smiley:

Oh, and you nailed the difference between the tonti and airhead, IMHO, except for the entertainment value of the Guzzi engine.  :cool:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:32:40 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »
Did Tom give you the original cam with it? If not I'll keep bugging him until he finds it. I'm the one that put in a B10 or K cam so many years ago. Congrats on the bike, it really is a nice machine!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2015, 01:47:57 PM »
Thanks for the as-tested review on the SPIII. Helps that you are the same height as me so helps to know that bike would eventually "fit" me as well if I ever got one like it. As far as the brakes go, I love the linked brakes. Not sure why some get rid of that setup before giving it a chance. I also use the regular front brake how I have always in the past, and that's in harmony with the rear even thought the front is also being applied with the linked system - just makes it better IMO.

From the factory, it's my understanding that the brake pads used for the linked front side are different than the rear and front only. I believe it is a harder blend so that it grips less(er) than the rear, making it not 50/50, maybe more like 70rear/30front (don't quote me on those numbers) - though I think that's the first thing that gets lost is that we all end up using the same pads for all three discs technically messing up the ratio because the factory Brembo numbers are hard to find.

Again, that's how I understand it being that the part number for the linked front pads are different than the other two (rear and solo front) in the parts manual for my 81 G5.

Did I talk too much about the brakes? 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:44:26 AM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »

From the factory, it's my understanding that the brake pads used for the linked front side are different than the rear and front only. I believe it is a harder blend so that it grips less(er) than the rear, making it not 50/50, maybe more like 70rear/30front (don't quote me on those numbers) - though I think that's the first thing that gets lost is that we all end up using the same pads for all three discs technically messing up the ratio because the factory Brembo numbers are hard to find.

Again, that's how I understand it being that the part number for the linked front pads are different than the other two (rear and solo front) in the parts manual for my 81 G5.

Did I talk too much about the brakes? 

That got me curious, so I just checked my EBC reference - it shows the FA18 as the organic choice for all three locations, and the FA18HH as the double-sintered option. I don't know whether the factory did a mix-and-match of types, but there's no notes on the EBC master list for any specific selection...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »
Did you come down through Payson?  Great ride over the Rim.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
Did you come down through Payson?  Great ride over the Rim.

It was a nice ride - after lunch at the Owl, I did 12 and 180 from Datil to Eagar, then a detour on 261 to 273 and back to 260, then to Show Low for the night. Next day, Show Low to Payson to Camp Verde to Jerome to Yava to 93 and then a straight shot home.

Probably more curves on those two days than a year in Nevada.  :laugh:
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2015, 02:33:10 PM »
That's a good route. :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »
That got me curious, so I just checked my EBC reference - it shows the FA18 as the organic choice for all three locations, and the FA18HH as the double-sintered option. I don't know whether the factory did a mix-and-match of types, but there's no notes on the EBC master list for any specific selection...

Not sure if it applies to all linked Guzzis, I thought it did. The pads are different in the G5 manual, and I think Convert manual as well.

V1000G5 Parts Manual: (http://www.scooteropolis.com/images/guzzi/wg/V1000G_Spare_Parts_Catalog.pdf)

Part# 14654601 Ferit I/D 332 (Drawing 16, PDF Page 44, POS No 24) - This is the Front Only brake

Part# 14654601 Ferit I/D 332 (Drawing 18, PDF Page 49, POS No 64) - This is the Rear Brake

Part# 14654650 Ferit I/D 330 (Drawing 18, PDF Page 50, POS No 75) - This is the Linked Front Brake (see different Ferit I/D)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:44:03 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2015, 04:16:47 PM »
Not sure if it applies to all linked Guzzis, I thought it did. The pads are different in the G5 manual, and I think Convert manual as well.

V1000G5 Parts Manual: (http://www.scooteropolis.com/images/guzzi/wg/V1000G_Spare_Parts_Catalog.pdf)

Part# 14654601 Ferit I/D 332 (Drawing 16, PDF Page 44, POS No 24) - This is the Front Only brake

Part# 14654601 Ferit I/D 332 (Drawing 18, PDF Page 49, POS No 64) - This is the Rear Brake

Part# 14654650 Ferit I/D 330 (Drawing 18, PDF Page 50, POS No 75) - This is the Linked Front Brake (see different Ferit I/D)

It may well be that the factory and EBC see things differently for many or all of the linked brake units. I rather expect EBC is leaving it to the owner to decide what mix (or non-mix) of pad compounds they like.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2015, 11:02:45 AM »
Did Tom give you the original cam with it? If not I'll keep bugging him until he finds it. I'm the one that put in a B10 or K cam so many years ago. Congrats on the bike, it really is a nice machine!

Hi John,

He did give me the cam.  Thanks for asking.

What can you tell me about the swap?  I'm unfamiliar with either a B10 or K cam.

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »
The B10 was the factory performance cam, used in big valve LeMans and I don't know what else. Some call em K cams cause they generally have a k stamped in the end. They will wake up most Guzzi engines and still be very drivable. I put it in on the timing marks, Tom didn't want me to spend the time to degree it. The timing chain was retained, I don't like the aluminum gears unless they are in an engine that gets inspected very often, like for racing but not in a street engine.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here