Author Topic: Rigid D2 HD Lamps / Cyclops LED Lamps  (Read 14167 times)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Rigid D2 HD Lamps / Cyclops LED Lamps
« on: March 25, 2015, 09:53:03 PM »
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/52131

*** edit 3-28-19     Rigid has updated these to this 522313 :
https://www.rigidindustries.com/d-series-pro-specter-diffused-heavy-duty-black-2-lights-522313.html  ****

Boys, these are THE BOMB.

I just installed a pair on my Stelvio and the result is nothing short of stunning. I'd say I have 4-5 times more light in a nice wide pattern than with the stock headlamps and auxiliary lamps.

I have looked around at about every LED lamp out there and didn't settle on the Rigid by just coincidence.  I particularly like the HD version of the 3X3 inch D2 Driving lamps because they have a hell-for-strong stainless steel mount with a shock absorbing interface to quell vibes.  These are the best-made (made in USA), rugged lamps I've found. They have well-made, powder-coated aluminum casings.

Light output is amazing.  I have them slightly splayed out to really bathe the side views along the road.  So far no oncoming traffic has objected since the center weighted beam is not aimed directly into their eyes.

Do the research and compare the lumen output and the light pattern charts.

I highly recommend them.  I ordered from an Amazon retailer and paid $379 incl shipping for the pair. The regular D2 is slightly less but the heavy-duty, isolastic mount is worth the few dollars extra. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMENEUW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2/179-6851396-2994106?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=06J10X2ZSD7NAS7KKG31&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_i=B00AMELGPM

*** Web search the new 522313***

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:19:10 AM by leafman60 »

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
Re: Rigid D2 HD LED Auxiliary Lamps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »
I have had these on my KTM 990 and yesterday put them on my new Stelvio.  The construction is ridiculously HD and the light is almost blinding.  A little trick I use is to place one driving light ,on the left, for down the center long distance illumination.  Place a fog on the right side for wide field dispersed light to pick up deer along the side of the road.  the combination has really worked well for me.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:27:32 PM »
Good lights.

If you look at the beam pattern charts, you see that the "wide" and the "flood" beams are no wider than the "driving" beam. The "wide" doesn't project as far and the width is not as wide as the "driving!"

After talking with the factory, I went with the driving lamps.  Since they are more popular, they are a bit less expensive too.

Rigid D series beam patterns-

http://www.rigidindustries.com/sites/default/files/catalog/31.pdf

Rigid D series specifications and light output-

http://www.rigidindustries.com/sites/default/files/catalog/30.pdf

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:29:43 PM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:33:10 PM »
Heck, I have two H-4 Cyclops headlamp conversions on their way too! 

These LED auxiliary lamps really make the halogen look sooo orange and dim.  Kinda reminds me of comparing the new halogens back in the day with the old standard filament incandescent bulbs.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:33:10 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:34:11 PM »
Specs are encouraging and the lens/reflector is made for the element.  What color is the light, and how does it affect contrast and color fidelity downrange?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 10:51:23 PM »

Rigid LED lights aren't compatable with dimmers.

I ordered from an Amazon retailer and paid $379 incl shipping for the pair.

Plus they are pretty steep $$$$ for the wattage.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 10:59:37 PM »
The light color is very white at any distance.

I don't desire dimming capability. Don't need it.  If I have my aux lights on, I want the full-bore.  

That feature may be more important for people using the lights for straight-forward road illumination but I splay mine out slightly for shoulder illumination and do not aim them in the direct line of sight for oncoming traffic.   

The price of the Rigids are very reasonable for the amount of light output and the robustness of their construction.

I held and looked at many a lamp from WalMart to Clearwater to TrailTech to Denali to Hella and studied the spec sheets.  I'm very happy with these.  

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:41:30 AM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 07:13:49 AM »
The closest lamp to the lumen output of the Rigid D series that I considered was the Clearwater Krista.  They look well-made and a good friend has a pair on his GS. The universal-fit version of the Krista is much more costly than the Rigid D2 HD.  Though well-constructed, the Krista is not as heavy-duty as the Rigid D2 HD.

I also looked at the Denali D4 that are also more costly than the Rigid. They have an aluminum body and look nice.  Again, the Denali is no where near the robustness of the Rigid and it puts out only about 65% of the lumens of the Rigid D2 HD.

I also looked at the relatively inexpensive 75MM Trail Tech at about $320 a pair but it produces a narrow light scatter and is no where near the construction of the Rigid.  On top of that, the Trail Tech produces only about 35% of the lumen output of the Rigid that is only about $60 more for a pair.

Again, buy what you want. El cheapo lights are out there and I've seen them.  They may be just what you want. I'm just passing along my experience with my latest selection of the Rigid lamps that offer phenomenal performance in a value package - for me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:50:19 AM by leafman60 »

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 07:44:30 AM »
Leaf man, I put these on my Stelvio about a year ago. I put the 6 LED D2 driving light on top of the OEM mount and the 4 LED D2 fog in amber mounted below the OEM mount. I control these lights with a Skeene IQ-60 (x2) controller and three way lighted switch (x2)  so I can dim them and have daytime modes and night time modes. The only problem I had was using their mounts, the frequency of the engine cracked the mounts after several months (read 7000 miles). I had to have custom mounts mounts fabricated from a machine shop.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 07:52:45 AM »
Leaf man, I put these on my Stelvio about a year ago. I put the 6 LED D2 driving light on top of the OEM mount and the 4 LED D2 fog in amber mounted below the OEM mount. I control these lights with a Skeene IQ-60 (x2) controller and three way lighted switch (x2)  so I can dim them and have daytime modes and night time modes. The only problem I had was using their mounts, the frequency of the engine cracked the mounts after several months (read 7000 miles). I had to have custom mounts mounts fabricated from a machine shop.

I am assuming you used the regular D2 and not the HD version with the rubber isolation mount and heavy bracket. I highly advise the HD version.

Hanging the weight of two lamps on each stock lamp mount maybe also contributed to the problem.

Interesting that you were able to use the Skene controller for dimming. Still, I personally don't need that feature.

By the way, I got an email asking about these and, noooo, HD does not mean Harley Davidson. HD in this context means Heavy Duty.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:00:07 AM by leafman60 »

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »
I tried to buy the HD mounts after the fact as a replacement to the regular mounts and the would not sell them to me. They can only be bought with the lamps. I like to run my ambers at night and thats why I chose to integrate the Skeene IQ-60. This allows my to set the ambers at 30% for nighttime riding on one position of the three way and 100% on the other. The middle position is off. With the OEM fog switch no longer in use by the lights I power my tank bag from the switch and now can turn the power on/off to the tank bag and it is fused with the Kirb fuse module. I know this is of no interest to you as you have stated but someone else might be interested.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »
I control these lights with a Skeene IQ-60 (x2) controller and three way lighted switch (x2)  so I can dim them and have daytime modes and night time modes.

That is interesting. I've seen a dozen write ups from people that were frustrated that the Rigid lights couldn't be dimmed.
My LED lights I dim for during the daylight to help visibility and not be blinding. And sometimes at night when foggy/rainy the dimmed lighting is a big help over the bright glare.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:14:10 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 09:33:57 PM »
To quote Samuel Morse and the Bible, "What hath God wrought!"

Today I completed my LED front light upgrade on the Stelvio with the installation of two Cyclops LED H-4 elements.

The Cyclops required a little creative surgery on the rubber boots but everything worked out fine.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

The Cyclops are rated at 3800 lumens each and the Rigids at 3100 each.  Based on that, my total lumen output up front is almost 14,000 lumens. A standard halogen H-4 supposedly puts out 1100-1500 lumens.

I look like a quasar coming down the road. Amazing illumination.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:30:45 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »
How do those headlights work? Do you have any before and after pics?
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 09:55:26 PM »
How do those headlights work? Do you have any before and after pics?

They work great.

Their overall effect is not as dramatic as with the Rigids D2 HD's, though.

Installing the Cyclops is not a simple hook up.  You must work to make the stock rubber weather boot fit.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

I didn't make before and after pics on the road.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:37:32 AM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 07:40:04 AM »
By the way, for people wanting dimming capability, Rigid offers a D2 with that capability.  I am not sure it is available in the Heavy Duty version and I recommend that vibration isolating HD mount for the Stelvio. I suggest calling them.

See the "D2 High and Low Dual Function"

http://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-50231H-Driving-Light/dp/B00Q1RSGUM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427460425&sr=8-2&keywords=rigid+d2+dual+function

http://www.rigidindustries.com/products
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:53:11 AM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 05:38:53 AM »
This is a night time image of the Stelvio with both the Cyclops on high beam and the Rigid auxiliary lamps on. The signs in the distance are about 1/4 mile away.

I have ridden the bike now amid substantial after-work traffic at night, many cars. I've typically had the Cyclops on low beam.  I have not experienced flashes from this urban traffic to indicate my lights are too bright for oncoming traffic. As I mentioned before, my Rigids are splayed outward a bit so as to illuminate the roadside and therefore are not center-beamed directly on oncoming traffic. 

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:51:31 AM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Rigid D2 HD Lamps / Cyclops LED Lamps
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 05:46:10 AM »
INSTALLATION OF THE CYCLOPS H-4 LED CONVERSION INTO A GUZZI STELVIO

Consult your bike manual regarding removal and installation of the H-4 headlamp bulbs.

The LED conversion bulb consists of two parts, a base and the bulb that twist-locks into the base. You install the base to the bike and then the LED bulb into the base.

This requires some modifications to allow proper installation of the weather boot and allow the bulb to lock into its base.

The Cyclops 3800 lumen H-4 LED conversion bulb.

The base removes from the bulb element and must itself first be installed to the bike's reflector holder. The base, like the stock H-4 bulb, is secured by a plastic lock ring that snaps into place when twisted clockwise. I found the LED base to be loose when installed so I use a pair of pliers to bend the three locator tabs rearward so as to contact the lock ring better and produce more holding force on the base assembly and bulb when installed.

Once the LED base is installed in the bike and secured with the plastic lock ring, the weather boot must be installed to guard against water intrusion. To do this, the boot must be modified.

I used an Xacto knife to remove the slotted end section that accommodates the terminals of the stock H-4 bulb and finished the inside of the tunnel with a Dremel abrasive wheel. The remaining diameter will fit nicely over the LED base body when inserted.

Next, remove about half of the rubber collar and leave about a good 1/8 inch to slip over the LED base body. I used a nut socket and an Xacto knife to make this cut.

The modified boot.

Finally, the modified boot should be installed over the already-installed LED base and then the LED bulb inserted into the base and locked. This will require a moderately firm inward press and twist to the right but the mods, if done properly, will allow the bulb to lock. If you just cannot get this to work, take everything apart and file away or dremel away some of the lock ring ears on the inside where they face the bulb. This will provide some added room that may help. You do not need to remove the silicone o-ring that comes on the LED bulb and seals it to the base. In the end, this is what you'll have when everything is installed and plugged-up on the bike -
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:56:29 AM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 06:01:40 AM »
Almost two weeks now with these lighting upgrades and several night time rides.  I don't know how I rode without them!

I have my stock lamps aimed at a moderate height and the Rigids splayed slightly.  Oncoming drivers are not getting their eyeballs welded and I'm not getting dimming flashes from anyone.

Boy, the length and breadth of my light pattern is nothing short of amazing. It's better than with my Tahoe!

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 06:56:39 AM »
They make a kit for the 1190 Adventure, I put mine in last week.  Very big difference in stock.  They come with a resister and heat sink to make up for the difference in current from OEM so the system will not trip the canbus and send an error.

I don't normally ride at night, but I did test them one night, VERY bright!  I'm happy camper.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 02:05:16 PM »
Steve,
I know this is old info from an old post, but can you tell me which model of D2 Rigid light you have that operates with your dimmer.
I have a pair of D2 SAE fog lights I would like to dim and would invest in a dimmer if it might work.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »
I have not found a need for dimming my Rigid D2 HD lamps.  By the way, they're the most awesome lamps I've used. Probably going to put a pair on my Jeep.

On the bike, I have mine splayed out slightly to illuminate the sides of the roadway. This also takes the brunt of their directional beam away from directly blinding oncoming traffic.  I rarely have anyone flash me when my D2's are on.

They really light up the world, though.

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 05:15:05 PM »
So you've had these for a while, any problems with the H-4 lamps? I bought the Speedmetal brand LED H-4 bulbs from cycle gear (on sale of course) and while they worked great initially they soon started to flicker then die completely. I swapped them out (both sides) three times before just returning them. I thought that maybe the vibes that kill the factory accessory lights on the Stelvio might be to blame but after reading reviews on cycle gears website it appears this happens on many different bikes. I just reinstalled the stock H-4 bulbs and have not had a problem since but wouldn't mind having the added light the LED's provided when they worked.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »
So you've had these for a while, any problems with the H-4 lamps? I bought the Speedmetal brand LED H-4 bulbs from cycle gear (on sale of course) and while they worked great initially they soon started to flicker then die completely. I swapped them out (both sides) three times before just returning them. I thought that maybe the vibes that kill the factory accessory lights on the Stelvio might be to blame but after reading reviews on cycle gears website it appears this happens on many different bikes. I just reinstalled the stock H-4 bulbs and have not had a problem since but wouldn't mind having the added light the LED's provided when they worked.

My H-4 LED conversion inserts have worked fine.

Installing them was not difficult (see previous pics) but it was not an easy slip-on-and-go procedure.

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 06:39:50 PM »
My bike is a 1989 Mille GT equipped with a Saprisa 250 Watt alternator that works well but is quite limited in reserve power.  When attempting to run the fog lights at full, output voltage drops off quite quickly, (I have a voltmeter on the bike to monitor performance.)  I also have need of heated gear occasionally.  I really am just looking at ways to save wattage for battery upkeep.  At 4500 rpm with none but the normal loads, output voltage will reach 14.7 - 14.8 after some period of time cruising, when idling or riding in traffic voltage drops to around battery voltage quite soon unless revs are kept to 2000 rpm or so.  What I'm trying to say is that at highway speeds, "no problem"  less than highway speeds "problems" and that's without the extra lights.  I would like to have the lights for conspicuity in traffic, if I can only run them at highway speeds then they can't be used for that.
I hope that is sufficient explanation of my reasons for wanting to dim the LEDs for slower than highway speeds.

Brian
                                                                                                              edited to add alt. wattage BJM
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:09:04 PM by bmc5733946 »
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »
Of course there is always this which would solve all my problems "maybe"!!!   $$$$$$$$$$$

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/edl450-altkit105.htm

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

canuck750

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
I did some research this fall for a small compact, dimmable LED that has a very long throw

I installed these; Denali-D2 LED Lighting 2-Light Kit with Full Wiring Harness & M8 Mount. Consuming only 10 watts (0.83 amps at 12 volts DC) of power per lamp, it throws a blazing beam of light. 

Specs:
•Beam Distance = 423 feet
•Prime Drive Technology
•Optic purity 90% (gets the most distance and accuracy from each LED)
•Driven at 90% efficiency (less energy wasted and more light output)
•Input voltage 9-48V DC
•IP rating IP-68 (dust-proof and submersible in water up to 3 meters)
•Vibration rating 15.6G
•Operating temperature -40 Celsius ~ + 80 Celsius

http://aviciouscycle.ca/Mainpages/productpage.aspx?productid=245

Two of these on my KLR650 turns night into day

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »
One of the low beam LED elements of my Cyclops H4 quit working just outside of the 1-year warranty, with at most 100 hours on it, and I was told that that's a reasonable life, even though their site says something like "30,000 hour life".
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 11:24:16 AM »
My H-4 LED conversion inserts have worked fine
Installing them was not difficult (see previous pics) but it was not an easy slip-on-and-go procedure.

About the same installation as the Speed metal ones, pretty easy. I just want reliable, how long have yours been in and how many miles?

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 08:19:12 PM »
I should have 7-10,000 miles on them now.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here