Author Topic: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.  (Read 95875 times)

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2018, 10:33:46 PM »
No one holds it against you Les and fore warned about HMB is fore armed :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2018, 06:00:42 AM »
I'm surprised you have had such a poor experiance with HMB.I've had quite a lot of dealings with them over the years and never had any issues like that. Fast delivery and well packed...good prompt advice wheen I needed advice.One could at a pinch think that the boss is a bit terse but that's often the way German's come across ( Appologies to them but the Mrs is from there and I have worked with lots of German's ...it's just different culture accentuated by language )  and he's probebly hasseled by tom ,dick and harry of timewasting inc.In your case I'd say you have a more than legitimate claim though !

Les P

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2018, 07:41:02 AM »
The only person having their time wasted is me but will still tolerate German's  :wink: my ex of seven (long) years was from Mainz.
The billet rear M4 bearing was payed for 14 weeks ago, the wrong not even listed on the HMB website 'cast bearing that Mr B stated were junk (on the phone) that was sent instead arrived 8 weeks ago tomorrow and it took 6 weeks for them to post it after payment for that total of 14 weeks.
After contacting them last week to see how it was going I received an odd email where every word was linked to a non relevant website and included a bogus USPS tracking number.
The original cylinder package was shipped on the 4/12/2017.
I am sure they are great people.

Edit. (13/9/18)
I had emailed HMB Guzzi on the 7th of September (The early AM in DE) to see what had happened to the outstanding replacement cylinder and rear main bearing (They said they would be sent asap the previous month)
I got a reply (after lunch in DE) saying they had been sent, it came as no surprise when I finally got the working tracking number out of them that the package had been put in the DHL system (label only) late that same day, in other words it had not been sent until I contacted them once again.  :grin:

Do I blame HMB Guzzi in any way for lack of progress on this bike, the answer is NO, it has simply been a frustrating experience which has still not come to a acceptable conclusion. At this stage I will end up out of pocket at least $229++, (return postage and ended up paying the cost to send one replacement cylinder to me) there has never been any form of apology,accountability or explanation of why the two cylinders were put loose on a piece of thin foam in the bottom of a tall box back in December 2017 with substandard packing piled on top or why I was sent a cast rear bearing when I had payed for a billet version. (They simply didn't seem to care)
In all honesty I think the cylinders were already damaged before being sent given both were broken in the same spot but those spots were nowhere near each other and the box had absolutely no damage to that area externally.
In other words they were packed in a way that DHL could be blamed and that is what I was told when I first got them to respond (HMB) by phone as they would not answer my email back in December 2017 .ie told put a claim in with DHL which I refused to do due to the totally idiotic and unprofessional packing.
All I can do is hope they have done the right thing ethically and the cylinder and bearing on its way is packed properly and not damaged.

I machined a holder for a low tech tool post grinder to refinish the quill worm screw shaft as that section was non critical so had a very fast tool speed from manufacture.
The new finish came out OK.

Edit 19/10/18
eBay PWM with forward / reverse / speed and readout'
Milled a plastic component box to fit things.
0 to 50 mm per minute feed rate.
Works great so Done.

The box finally arrived from HMB and was packed as it should have been long ago which confirmed my suspicions.
'She asked me, Why is it just sitting there on the floor unopened close to a week after arriving.
I said feel free to open it which she did (with excitement I might add)
I never heard anything back from HMB Guzzi so will sell the M4 cast rear bearing to recoup some of my postage costs.
As far as that saga goes and considering the amount of money I spent in total with HMB Guzzi I will call that THE END but will never buy anything off them again,period.
I am grateful the matter is finally closed !

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:56:38 PM by Les P »

Les P

« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2019, 02:29:32 AM »
Testing testing.... 2019, feng shui set back to balanced with  a freebie.... I look forward to a good Moto Guzzi year.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2019, 02:29:32 AM »

LesP

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2019, 04:16:24 PM »
Like a dummy I locked myself out of my old profile which can't be reinstated.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 12:51:51 AM by LesP »

LesP

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2019, 12:48:07 AM »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2019, 03:59:00 AM »
It's Beautiful :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2019, 05:49:36 AM »
Not sure where I got up to.
Wheels are done including vapour blasted hubs, they had a bunch of shims for the bearings but I got rid of those and machined those 4140 spacers, lapping the last few 0.0001" for no shimming.
The final drive was the same, I got rid of the stock bits and machined one heavy shim for the pinion and another 4140 inner spacer lapping the final fit.
The final drive probably took two days to do, start to finish and happy how it turned out, the $800 gear set is not top shelf but will do the job.
The crankshaft took nearly three months to be ground, rods have new bushes and ended up using a set out of a 1993 GT ?
The crank still needs to be finish balanced but I had to pick it up as it was to hard to drill so am doing it myself with ARTU drills and then will use T.I.G on the web to retain the two Mallory metal plugs (1/2" and 5/8") and then hydraulic Loctite 660 into the clearance at the plug and hole.
Heads are ready to be picked up tomorrow, at this stage they will be the only part that was not a drama.

Gearbox is back together with the G5 1000 internals, engine case is back from the blasters, when the crank is done the engine can be assembled.

LesP

« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2019, 05:55:44 AM »

LesP

« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2019, 06:09:47 AM »

LesP

« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2019, 06:12:52 AM »
The floor board pivots and bushes were sloppy so used the boring head in reverse to do the pivots then bored the brake and shifter to take 21 x 12 x 5 ball bearings, no more slop, the linkages will need some work also.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 06:15:55 AM by LesP »

LesP

« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2019, 06:38:42 AM »
After the gearbox was assembled all selections were checked via bore scope as you do.

canuck750

« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2019, 10:26:18 AM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow:

Your level of detail is amazing

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2019, 04:28:04 PM »
I am not worthy!   :bow:
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2019, 12:04:02 PM »
Very nice work I have to say! What are you drilling the crank for? Balance for bigger/different pistons? And as chuck says attention to detail is very high!
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

LesP

« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2019, 05:11:53 AM »
Very nice work I have to say! What are you drilling the crank for? Balance for bigger/different pistons? And as chuck says attention to detail is very high!

Perhaps it is HMB coming back to haunt me  :laugh:

Those 949cc pistons are some 30/25 grams heavier than the stock items (I had thought when selling the 83 mm bore Gilardoni kits I had that maybe I should sell them after I know there is no drama with the 88 mm kits)

It would have been a jack hammer if left and most likely given the bearings a hard time so I took the newly ground crankshaft to a balance shop.
The choice was try and remove material from the pistons or from the big ends of the connecting rods, I favoured neither so it was add Mallory metal plugs to the crankshaft, a 1/2" to one web and 5/8" to the other (dynamic ?) due to the crankshaft construction.
The balance shop could not drill the crankshaft, they tried but I can do without the drama (with those new journals) so said I would do it myself and install the plugs (2 = 110 grams and $90) then take it back for a final check (which would be somewhat late in the piece once they are secured in the crankshaft.

The problem was, the crankshaft is hard and I mean hard all the way through, I ended getting a 1/2" ARTU drill and doing on but the other needed ordering so that is week two coming up.
I had tried to find a shop to EDM the holes but alldid not have the height as far as the liquid depth for the spark eroding.
Once the crankshaft is done the engine can be assembled.

I had asked the balance shop about someone who could do the cylinder heads and they recommended a Motorsport shop (that I had heard of and was in the same street) so dropped in to 'check them out, you know the kind of place that is spotless and the people look professional and happy to be there with nice machinery with a race team big rig outside.
I spoke to a more senior aged gentleman who was more than happy for me to bring some old Moto Guzzi heads in (guides installed and to size, cut the seats, surface the gasket faces)
I was going to do it myself but the shop made me reconsider, I basically dropped them in one morning and the following afternoon was rung to be told they were ready to pick up, it was the first non drama for the whole project and well worth the $550.
I took the Africa Twin to pick them up and they were dropped off at the vapour blasters on the way home and should be ready to pick up in the new week.

Given I live on an island and far from these places, around 1000 kms was travelled by bike or the trusty 2006 GTI in that week.
In hindsight I would have used KibbleWhite C620 guides and Black Diamond valves.

LesP

« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2019, 05:13:37 AM »
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Your level of detail is amazing

Certainly taken as a compliment given your many top shelf restorations.  :thumb:
It is not so much detail but given the length of time I only want to do it once. ( I still have 3 beveldrive Ducati's, 3 H2's, 2 68 Husqvarna's and 2 TL1000S's ++++  in NZ that will need to be recommissioned at the least after being in storage since 2007)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 05:24:22 AM by LesP »

LesP

« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2019, 05:21:01 AM »
I bought a new set of of rear shocks (Ikons's) and also picked up a set of 20 mm Showa cartridges which I would like to put into the Eldorado forks one day but that would be a fairly involved machining operation to the lower part of the fork legs (but have figured out a way to do it including counter boring inside the front axle hole if need be)
Getting the bike moving under its own power might be a higher priority (I did bring back two sets of PHF 32 mm Dellorto's on my last trip back to NZ and got a set of the later alloy manifolds from Germany that could have sleeved added)

LesP

« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2019, 07:22:43 AM »

LesP

« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2019, 06:40:11 PM »
Heads are back from the vapour blaster, I also dropped off the cylinder head Jim Comstock did for my 71 Fastback, Kibblewhite C630 guides and Black Diamond valves along with Alu/Bronze inserts on the exhaust ports and those pesky 20tpi 3/8" threads that can pull out of the head gasket face.
I will assemble all of them including a FullAuto head for the Mk2a 850.... New valves, springs and retainers for the Eldorado heads (care of MGCycle).
They will get the later '1000 rockers and supports I got years ago when I was doing the 850, no 950, no 850, and then 950 thing, They say you can go full circle sometimes, I think I was getting good at a figure 8 followed by a half circle forward.  :grin:
I got the later cam followers and adjusters to suit later big ball push rods also.

In my biased opinion he is the Norton guru, period.
http://www.nortonmachineshop.com/

Should be 3 pictures.

Of course I am a little side tracked for a couple of days (still no ARTU 5/8" drill to finish the crankshaft) I had thought about a DRO for the budget mill for many years and finally did, getting a 4 axis Ditron and close to half installed.
Its one of those jobs that need a solid plan beforehand over my usual make it up as you go method.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:46:19 PM by LesP »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2019, 06:51:59 PM »
They look pretty Les :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2019, 02:05:12 AM »
Looks very good! A vapour blasting cabinet is definitively on my wish list!

And also for many years a DRO for the lathe.

If I understand the previous post correctly, you will drill out the crank to add weights so it is possible to balance it with the heavier pistons?

LesP

« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »
A pretty bike was not what I was after but never could get the alloy to a 'been looked after for 40 + years' so ended up doing what I had considered but did not want to do.
It might become a new trend, an original paint and chrome bike with vapour blasted castings.

The bike must have sat for a long time (the crankshaft was rust covered) and one side showed more oxidisation (grey in the alloy that I could not remove with either acid or soda blasting) so maybe sat against a wall or something.

Rick, yes the weight is to offset the Gilardoni 949cc pistons, maybe I should have bought a crankshaft out of a 88 mm bore bike and used that instead.
As above, it was that or remove weight from the pistons or from the rod big ends and a lot of weight... I will phone today and see what is happening with that two weeks after ordering it.

The vapour blasting is nice but nothing like an original finish, the final drive I did myself and looks much more realistic, a pity I could not get the rest of the castings the same.
I started using the X axis of the DRO as soon as it was ready, should have got one the day after buying the mill is all I can say and one for the lathe is a must have now.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:28:10 AM by LesP »

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2019, 07:39:26 AM »
A pretty bike was not what I was after but never could get the alloy to a 'been looked after for 40 + years' so ended up doing what I had considered but did not want to do.
It might become a new trend, an original paint and chrome bike with vapour blasted castings.

That is the look I ended up with my Eldo.  Original paint throughout.  I had all the hardware re-plated as is was very rusty.  I decided the bike was just too new to leave all the rusty bits on it. 

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

LesP

« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2019, 06:04:38 PM »
That is a great looking bike, Dave.

My concern was, it is easy to get onto that slippery slope, clean cases, old fasteners, whoops that frame paint looks a little worn..... and those dull hubs and rims and................ ..  :grin:

I rode down to Brisbane/QLD (On the Africa Twin DCT) to pick up some bits including long 8.8 M8 bolts which I will turn and then grind to make M8/M6 step studs to suit the M8 Eldorado engine case to M6 later oil pan.
I can see (I think it was Joe W) what was meant as far as drilling that later pans 4 holes out to 8 mm to suit the Eldorado and getting oil leaks, a bigger hole would be dangerously close to the oil passages in the pan.
Step studs will avoid that but nothing off the shelf was available.

Of course, later yesterday afternoon, I got a call from the same vender saying the 5/8" ARTU drill had arrived from Sydney so jumped back on the AT and picked it up.
I stopped in at a large welding supplies while there and asked the beardless 'hipster about some 309 filler wire to be informed all they could sell me was a $211 tube of wire so I passed on that.
I will T.I.G the crankshaft to hold the Mallory metal inserts and use Loctite 660 or some form of wick in locker afterward.
The crankshaft will then go back for a final spin check but cant see the point once the weights are inserted never to come out (I hope)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2019, 07:53:14 PM »
I can see (I think it was Joe W) what was meant as far as drilling that later pans 4 holes out to 8 mm to suit the Eldorado and getting oil leaks, a bigger hole would be dangerously close to the oil passages in the pan.

I've done it that way on every oil filter conversion (five so far), never had any issue with oil leaks. <shrug>
Charlie

LesP

« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2019, 01:32:40 AM »
I will get back to it, maybe drill the pan to 8 mm when I get back from NZ next week.

LesP

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2019, 11:48:43 PM »
In the time it took me to drill two holes, Charlie M has probably rebuilt a complete bike and been on quite a few rides.

I got back from the old country and am back onto that crankshaft, I can say with confidence nothing will stop an ARTU drill.

I should have spun the 1/2" drill faster but found the 5/8" went very well at 575 rpm.
All I need to do is T.I.G around the perimeter of the holes with either 309 S/S or maybe ER70S, I might then try and hydraulic Loctite 660 into the clearance gap or maybe a wicking Loctite.
Once this is done and it has been checked spun up (A bit late by then ? ) I won't have to deal with any more people or companies.
It means I have everything to finish the bike from the cylinder heads to the GB wiring loom, yikes.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 11:50:20 PM by LesP »

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2019, 05:26:00 AM »
 :thumb:

I had to look up the ARTU drill. It seems like it is a brand name. Which kind of drill did you use? Cobalt or multipurpose?

LesP

« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2019, 07:07:05 AM »
Yes the brand name is ARTU.

I believe is was this version.
ALLROUND BOHRER
Tough multi-purpose drill bits for concrete, brick, ceramic tiles, hardened steel, wood and even glass.

I still need to secure the plugs, even at 3000 rpm that will be 50 crankshaft revolutions per second, I have ordered some 309L filler wire and will weld to the crankshaft, how much I do not know yet as I would like to use some form of Loctite also maybe 638.
If they departed the crankshaft at speed it might be more then entertaining.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here