Author Topic: Garage / Shed opinions please?  (Read 5856 times)

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
Garage / Shed opinions please?
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:58:32 PM »
I'm kicking around plans for a 20 x 9  garage/ shed for my scooters / self. Nothing too fancy. What have you guys done? The Tuff Shed guy came by, but they are pretty pricey, and Tuff shed insists on using their own wooden floor.
I have a 56' x 18' concrete pad along the side of my house and want to use part of that as the floor. Parking a bike that leaks oil on plywood does not appeal to me.
any experiences, thoughts, opinions, advice would be welcome.

I'll probably going to end up watching youtube videos while slowly hammering together 2 x 4's.  :undecided:

Thanks in advance!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

oldbike54

Re: Garage / Shed opinions please?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 11:16:17 PM »
 Is this going to be a simple shed , no insulation or wiring ?

Basically lay out a chalk drawing on the concrete slab , use it as a pattern for the walls and prefab them laying down on the slab . Build two stud walls to make a corner , get some help a stand the two up at a 90 degree angle , matching a pattern drawn on the slab to get it square , block them together and nail . Then just go from there . Easy enough . Once you have stood the walls up , use a Hilti gun or some redheads to anchor the bottom plates to the slab every 4 ft to secure them .

Then draw out the trusses on the slab and make your cuts , if you are working W/O help of some type of lift , place the roof joists across the span , put the end risers on top of the walls and attach the stringer between the two risers . Then nail the rafters up using nailer plates .

You could do a shed roof on a 9 ft span , but then you end up with several different stud lengths .

Dusty

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 11:30:14 PM »

We used these guys for my wifes 9X16 Pilates/Yoga studio. They'll custom build whatever you design. Ours has an insulated floor and extra celestial windows at added costs, but when all was said and done  $3500.00 built on site.  Check out their website:http://highcountrycustomsheds.com/home   Highly recommended!

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 06:13:06 AM »
I'm kicking around plans for a 20 x 9  garage/ shed for my scooters / self. Nothing too fancy. What have you guys done? The Tuff Shed guy came by, but they are pretty pricey, and Tuff shed insists on using their own wooden floor.
I have a 56' x 18' concrete pad along the side of my house and want to use part of that as the floor. Parking a bike that leaks oil on plywood does not appeal to me.

I'll probably going to end up watching youtube videos while slowly hammering together 2 x 4's.  :undecided:

Thanks in advance!

I realize rainfall in AZ isn't like rainfall in SC, but before you build directly on the existing slab how's the grade/drainage where you want to place it? 

Small doesn't have to mean short. A 10' interior ceiling height instead of an 8' ceiling doesn't change costs much and can make things much more comfortable, more storage, better light qualities.  If I have specific equipment, parking, bench, lift, storage plans, I map out the necessary interior first and then place the doors, windows and even walls as needed.  It's so simple to modify a plan a little before building than to fit things later playing the hindsight game.

New workshops are always great- enjoy!
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 06:13:06 AM »

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 06:39:29 AM »
Sheds are really pretty easy to build. A quick search will bring up many different plans, and styles. Also a basic overview on standard wall framing is something to look up also. Im wondering why you pick 9' wide. Is that the slab size? I normaly would go 10, or 12 foot to fit the board sizes better. 
Paul B

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 06:56:38 AM »

Does this concrete pad have footings around the outer edge or is it just 3 1/2 thick patio concrete?  The weight of the shed could cause cracking, especially if the ground below wasn't prepped much. 

How are you thinking about arranging the bikes in the shed and getting them in and out?  You might want to chaulk out the measurements and arrange the bikes on the patio and imagine the walls there and see if you can maneuver the bikes.

Definitely want to put a good bead of weatherproof caulk under the pressure treated bottom plate.

If you are not sure about the construction of the concrete pad, you might want to consider lighter weight materials like aluminum studs and vinyl siding over house wrap.  I would also consider keeping the shed a foot in from the edge of the pad to disperse the load some.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »

How are you thinking about arranging the bikes in the shed and getting them in and out?  You might want to chaulk out the measurements and arrange the bikes on the patio and imagine the walls there and see if you can maneuver the bikes.

This! 

Its a great idea to draw out the size, and put your stuff in the box..  Just to see what you think will fit, will fit.. 
Paul B

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 08:21:19 AM »
You don't say whether this will be simply for storage to keep the rain off, or whether you might do some work in there.

IF you plan on doing anything besides rolling the bikes in and out, arrange for electric lights.   Twice as much electric lights as you think you might need.   Good lighting makes everything so much easier and better.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
I like something like this one...

I figure the cost of a shed would be quite a bit less than adding on to our garage.  We have a single car garage from the 60's that currently has 1 car(A4), 3 motorcycles, and 3 bicycles...not to mention all the gear and chemicals that go with the bikes.   I'd love to extend the garage out another 20ft with cement block storage area under.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:05:21 AM by rdbandkab »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 08:57:02 AM »
I converted my stable's tack room to my moto-shop. There's room for four bikes, two bicycles, my work table, three wall lockers, a couple of rollaway toolboxes, a tire changer, and our kegerator. It's about 10'x24'. I even put in an AC wall unit to keep the humidity low and arrest oxidation.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 10:13:57 AM »
I had to do the same thing last year. I have 3 bikes, plus my wife's Vespa and my Honda scooter. With all my stationary wood working tools (table saw, band saw, radial arm saw & more) taking up the garage space, I had to build this shed last year to alleviate the storage issues. I used pressure treated 4x6's and 2x6's as the floor joust with the joist 1.5" above the ground. I buried concrete deck blocks and used pressure treated 6x6 posts to keep the entire structure off the ground. I used 3/4" pressure treat marine grade plywood as the floor. The rest I built as if building a house with frame stud walls & T1-11 siding. Painted it to match the house, 46" door opening, ran power and ac and its been good to go.

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 10:17:25 AM »
Having scratch built a number over the years my one input is , screws & glue , nails are “temporary “ also screws are way stronger & will carry a higher load either wind/snow of the occasional falling object . Ya can even screw hooks into roof framing & hang bikes (most of em) from them !

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 10:23:38 AM »
I’ve been considering purchase of a shipping container for motorbike storage - anybody here have experience w these?
Sounds like your slab would be a perfect place for a container.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 10:39:31 AM »
The problem with all sheds is the same: Each one encourages you to fill it thereby requiring another. I have a 12x24 shed, with a 10x14 extension I built on to it a few years ago, and last year had to acquire an enclosed 6x12 foot trailer. Each one rapidly fills. The garage was lost to motorculce clutter years ago. This is not my fault, as nature abhors a vacuum. I now see an old R1100RT for sale cheap. Trouble.

Online SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 11:11:05 AM »
From the upcoming Sept.-Oct. issue of ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE magazine. I'm a contributor to that publication...

What I Did on My Summer Vacation…

by
Steven Rossi
(SLDMRossi@aol.com)

Before another old car and vintage motorcycle season rolls too far down the road (that being an old, twisty two-lane in my case), I thought I’d take the opportunity to share a few of my recent antique escapades (if not, trials and tribulations) with you now. Some of these lessons learned came the hard way, so hopefully my pain will be your gain. The others proved to be more pleasant experiences, if not epiphanies. Read on.
So while we prepare for the leaves to take another turn and make ready to spring into Fall, here’s what I did on my Summer vacation:   

I Shed a Bit of My Outdoor Exposure
   As you well know, keeping old cars and early bikes under cover can prove to be a challenge … particularly, if your spouse or partner prefers to park in the garage. Fortunately, mine doesn’t. And even more so, if your inventory is out of control. Which mine is!
   Like any self-respecting enthusiast, I longed for another garage-mahal in which to house my trove of treasures (well, that might be stretching it a bit if that’s how you define old Saab, Citroen and Alfa sedans). Anyway, knowing that could turn into quite a financial commitment, year after year I followed the path of least resistance. By procrastinating, and doing nothing. This Summer though, I finally decided to go for broke and do something about it. But how could I…without doing likewise, and breaking the bank?
   Thinking about it logically, I concluded that all I needed was basic storage. If you’re only going to drive a car in and out of a structure on the very rare occasion, why go through the expense of a concrete foundation or slab? And if the antique is actually just going to be on ice for the most part, why bother with electricity and the like?
   I came to the conclusion that all I really required was a glorified shed, and it turns out that the prefabricated building industry is very much ready, and willing, to supply just such a structure. By re-engineering basic, garden variety architecture into an automotive application, instead.
   In my case, since the last time I turned to the outbuilding business to help house my abundance of lawn implements (as a consequence of country living), the local prefab builder created a line of garage alternatives by taking its standard shed design and reinforcing/thickening the floor, repositioning the under-beams by aligning them with the car’s wheel/tire track and revising the end gable-wall access with a standard garage door, instead of the normal, hinged barn variety. It’s clear that some solid thinking went in to the transition.
   It’s well known that the quality and integrity of prefabricated buildings has very much improved and matured over time. Nowadays, you can specify virtually any structure exactly the way to want it. Since I was planning to put this garage close to the house, I was able to match everything from the siding and roofing, plus pitch …to the windows and shutters…and, down to the garage door design and its upper window lights. A robust, reinforced entry ramp was also included. If I’d wanted to go to the extreme, even cupolas and flowerboxes were optionally available. And professionally engineered drawings are further provided for Building Permit purposes.
   An incredible development that the prefab shed/garage business has additionally enjoyed (which you and your property will appreciate, too), is that they now deliver their products on sophisticated, purpose-built trailers. The days of dropping a structure kinda-close to where you want it off an old flatbed, and then levering and trying to roll it over pipes to put it in position…while tearing up your lawn in the process…are over. The equipment that the industry now uses will position your prebuilt building with pinpoint accuracy. And the trailers they employ are hydraulically self-actuated, which can literally turn within their own footprint.
   So at a fraction of the cost of a more meaningful garage, a simple, premanufactured structure with a pressure-treated 4”x4” underframe…which sits on a crushed stone pad…can very much be the correct specification for basic, collector car storage needs. Just like any tool, right-sized machine or critical device that’s carefully designed to perform a specific function…by not providing more, but only just as much as you need instead, for less.
You can easily and affordably apply little enhancements like battery-powered, motion sensor-actuated lighting within, so you can see if you have reason to go inside at night. And I recommend going with a little bit bigger garage dimension than you think you might need because who knows what might be coming around the next corner?
Considering the alternatives, you can justifiably pay for it all by getting out from under those monthly, out of sight-out of mind storage locker fees…if that happens to be your next best solution…which ultimately add up. Yes, of course… in this day and age, Financing is available, too.   
After happily living with my new, 12’x20’ for these past few months, most folks assume that the building’s been there forever. That’s how low impact and well configured it is to the site. I often wonder…why didn’t I just do this sooner? (Well, truth be told…because I didn’t have the money, that’s why.)       

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 11:40:17 AM »
Don't forget to check zoning in your area.  Nothing worse than building an illegal structure that you have to tear down and pay fines on top of.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 03:50:13 PM »
Our 12x24 bike shed,

the shop is the west side fixed garage.

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
  • It's not always easy being me!
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 04:59:22 PM »
I have two sheds, and they are both a pretty good size, but whatever size you will build, you will outgrow your building fast. My first shed is 12'x16' and houses one of my cars and two motorcycles. The 2nd shed is 11'x24' and it shelters nine motorcycles, a work station, and a motorcycle lift. My only recommendation (if this also will be a work shed) is to spend a little (or a lot) more money up front and build a larger shed than you think that you would ever need, and then spend money on electrical, insulation, a AC / Heat wall unit, windows, access door, garage door, and interior finishing materials like sheetrock or plywood for the walls and ceiling.

And someone already stated to make sure that you have an actual foundation around your concrete pad where your sheds walls will sit. Also make sure that the floor is level and that you seal the gap between the outside wall and the concrete floor, since you don't want water running into the inside of your building.

I paid $2k for my used 12'x16' building, and $5k for my used 11'x24' building. I also added a second floor layer of 3/4" tongue groove plywood, and I beefed up the shed floors block foundation big time in order to park a car and all of my bikes within those buildings. I'm getting ready to insulate and add a wall mounted HVAC unit on the 11'x24' shed, so that I can use this building all year round. I think that I will have around $12k in that' building before it's done.

This is the 12'x16' building

And even a larger 11'x24' shed will fill up fast, so if possible, build your building 2x of what you think you need!

96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 05:24:42 PM »
Around my parts, you can pretty much buy any size shed, or even a Stand along garage built by the Amish in PA.  They’ll truck it to your location and drop it on the slab.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 09:13:26 PM »
How about an old 8x20 shipping container.  Below are a couple of pics.
Also a link to a place in Phoenix who sells a nice, insulated one.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/fod/d/phoenix-cool-storage-local-8x20/6961848068.html

Mike

post image online

digital dice roll
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 09:19:53 PM »
How about an old 8x20 shipping container.  Below are a couple of pics.
Also a link to a place in Phoenix who sells a nice, insulated one.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/fod/d/phoenix-cool-storage-local-8x20/6961848068.html

Mike

post image online

digital dice roll

I could just see my wife's reaction if I got one of those delivered.   :thewife:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 09:28:21 PM »
“I'll probably going to end up watching youtube videos while slowly hammering together 2 x 4's”

It’s not that hard, provided you have the time.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »
1990 MilleGT

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 09:33:58 PM »
I don't think there are too many Amish shed builders in Arizona.

Thanks for that Captain Obvious.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 09:48:01 PM »
Thanks for that Captain Obvious.

:laugh: :laugh:
Charlie

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 10:30:36 PM »
Whatever you do, DO NOT DO WHAT THIS GUY DID!!!

https://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/146566-Build-to-Fail-Fail-to-Build.-What-is-this-I-don-t-even.....

Looks like what the crew of 8 year old boys did while attempting a remodel on the house next to us . 5 years on now it is still unlivable .

Dusty

Offline frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 12:51:01 AM »
Lots of opinions and they're all valid. But here's what I think...

You'll learn a lot more and pick up some skills on the side if you build it yourself. I didn't know much of anything about building until I moved to Alaska. Since I got here years ago, I've built half a dozen structures. But first off I bought a couple of books:

Modern Carpentry. This is a text book for training carpenters and covers everything from foundations to framing to finish work. You can get a "like new" copy on eBay for less than $20. It's the bible of carpentry.

Wiring Simplified. This is a small paper back that covers pretty much everything you'd need to wire your shed or a simple garage. I still go back to it when I have a problem. Also on eBay.

The other thing is the size. You may think a small shed is all you'd need, but you'll likely out grow it before you know it. I started with a 10x16 tool shed / shop. After I put in the carpentry tools, table saw, a work bench and a small wood stove for heat in the winter, there was almost no room to work on bikes. So then I built a 26x16 garage / workshop and it quickly filled up with tools, welders, work bench, well you get the idea. So finally added a 10x26 shed attached to the side of the garage and I almost have enough room now. So keep that in mind when planning your shed, too big is a lot better than too small!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:33:42 AM by frozengoose »
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 08:03:35 AM »

https://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/146566-Build-to-Fail-Fail-to-Build.-What-is-this-I-don-t-even.....

Wow! There's a thread with legs! 91 pages!
We built forts in the woods when were like 10 and 12 years old that looked better than that!
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 10:07:36 AM »

What is truly amazing is the place is still standing 6 years later.  :thumb:

Dont know how. Must be the weather up there.  Here in the southeast that structure would have returned to nature.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »
I think this was an apt quote:

"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. And that one sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. "
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:38:26 AM by nc43bsa »
1990 MilleGT

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here