Author Topic: 98 V11EV TPS Confusion...  (Read 5620 times)

twforeman

98 V11EV TPS Confusion...
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »
I'm a new member to this forum, and I need to start out with a question:

In January I bought a 98 V11EV with a sidecar attached. I got a smoking deal on it and it's a great rig, but it's popping and backfiring.

I adjusted the valves - one side was fine, the other was off a little, and balanced the throttle bodies. I did not adjust the TPS, since I couldn't figure out how to read the voltage.

I also replaced the air filter, the PCV hose and did some other misc maintenance.

It's running better, but still not as well as I think it can.

I found a great page about setting the TPS and balancing the throttle bodies here: http://bradthebikeboy.blogspot.com/2012/10/throttle-position-sensor-setting_21.html

I managed to back-probe the TPS and get a reading, but had to stop due to complete confusion.

The reading when the throttle is fully closed is around 4.85V and when it's fully open it's around 120mV. Exactly opposite of what all the instructions that I can find for the V11EV say.

I did see some instructions for a different model (can't find the page now) which suggested that the closed reading should be 4.85V and fully open should be 120mV.

I did not make any adjustments to the TPS yet because I am confused. Did early V11EVs use the EFI setup from a different model?

Any help out there?

As a side note I have to say if I never remove the gas tank on this bike again it will be too soon. I've owned a lot of bikes of various makes and this gas tank is the most annoying one to remove.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: 98 V11EV TPS Confusion...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »
Which ecu (computer) does this bike have?  Choices are P8 (really big, up under the seat) or 15M (fits in your hand).  The ecu type directs the discussion.

What do you mean by "throttle completely closed"?  Do you mean your hand is off the grip and the butterflies are resting on the stops, or do you mean the throttle stop is backed completely off?

There are many discussions of setting up the tps.  Use the search function to find some.

Yes, the tank is not the easiest thing to deal with.  Luckily, you don't need to remove it very often.  I have mine off for the first time since the last time I replaced my fuel injection hoses -- probably 4 or 5 years.  I don't expect to remove it again in this decade.

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
You're in Minneapolis.  Chris Collins is nearby and he could show you how.  Look for ccoli in this group.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »

I managed to back-probe the TPS and get a reading, but had to stop due to complete confusion.

The reading when the throttle is fully closed is around 4.85V and when it's fully open it's around 120mV. Exactly opposite of what all the instructions that I can find for the V11EV say.

I did see some instructions for a different model (can't find the page now) which suggested that the closed reading should be 4.85V and fully open should be 120mV.

Your readings are backwards simply because you're on the wrong terminals of the TPS.  Connect to the two outside wires to get the correct readings.

And 120mV @ closed throttle is too low.  Set to 275 - 325 mV for the P8 ECU, or 475 - 525 mV for the 15M ECU.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »
Your readings are backwards simply because you're on the wrong terminals of the TPS.  Connect to the two outside wires to get the correct readings.

And 120mV @ closed throttle is too low.  Set to 275 - 325 mV for the P8 ECU, or 475 - 525 mV for the 15M ECU.

And the values from kiwi dave are for when the closed is against the stop. If you do a full setup, you start with getting all stops away, the link away, also lookout for the choke, so the butterfly is completly closed, then it should be 150mv.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

twforeman

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »
The computer is large and under the seat. So a P8 I guess.

The throttle linkage is disconnected.

The throttle stop is fully backed out, so the butterfly is closed all the way.

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure I'm measuring the two outer wires.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 04:50:06 PM »

OK, then as Paul says, set it to 150 mV.  Then wind the throttle stop up on the throttle body with the TPS attached, until you get a reading of 275-325 mV.  Balance the other throttle body for equal vacuum.  If idle is too low or high, tweak the TPS within the range indicated to get a satisfactory idle.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
The P8 has a trim knob that lets you rich/lean things a little.

Is there a particular problem you're chasing, or is this a mission to make a fairly good runner as good as it can be?

Sorry, I thought I'd seen a note from luap saying the search thing had been fixed, but I must have been wrong.  trust me though -- using the google search workaround you can find some very well expressed setup procedures.

I see Kiwi Dave has given the reader's digest version.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 04:55:09 PM »
After you set it to 150mv, never touch it again. You first set a rough idle with linkage attached. Then balance at 3000rpm with the linkage. After that the idle gets important.
You have an air bleed scew on each side, first close them both, and look at the vacuum, then open one (the side that needs it) to get it in balance. Finaly set idle with the  throttle stop. Then see what voltage you have at idle and post it here.
Paul

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »

In January I bought a 98 V11EV with a sidecar attached. I got a smoking deal on it 
Welcome here...

in Mpls? How did I miss that deal?  what color?  I can help you set the TPS
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 05:18:59 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »
The computer is large and under the seat. So a P8 I guess.

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure I'm measuring the two outer wires.

You definitely are on the wrong leads. Try another lead. If you get a constant 5 volt (close to 5 anyway), then move the other lead.
Yes, that bike has the P8
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 03:55:25 AM »
If you slide the back off the ECU connector and hook your meter up to pin 17 and chassis it's easier than trying to connect at the TPS
I attached a short wire ending with a blue butt splice. The butt splice is just the right size for the meter probe.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 05:36:36 AM »
If you slide the back off the ECU connector and hook your meter up to pin 17 and chassis it's easier than trying to connect at the TPS
I attached a short wire ending with a blue butt splice. The butt splice is just the right size for the meter probe.

So you're a sadistic smurf prober?   :shocked:

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 06:23:17 AM »
The search function has been disabled , search through Google . TPS adjustment , Wildguzzi .com . Just a clarification for the OP David .
 Yeah , all good questions .

Dusty

No it hasn't.  The search is working fine now  :grin:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 06:29:46 AM »
How many miles are on the bike?  When I had a 98 EV, the TPS only lasted about 35,000 miles for me. I then changed it.  I put the Harley TPS on it for $40 or so. The bike had 86,000 miles on it when I sold it and the HD TPS was still doing fine. If your TPS is going bad, no setting adjustment will fix it at all.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

twforeman

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 05:49:17 PM »
Alright, thanks for all your suggestions and offers of help.

I finally figured out how to get my volt meter on the throttle position sensor pins correctly so I could check it and adjust it. It was off a bit (about 120mV instead of 150mV), so I tweaked it to the proper setting.

The air bypass screws were also way off (they were at least 2-1/2 turns out, stock is 1/2 turn) so I fixed them too.

A complete throttle body balance and the hack runs like a new machine.

Before at 60 MPH I had to leave it in 4th at 4K RPM. If I shifted to 5th the revs were around 3250 and it felt like there was no real power and it chugged if I tried to accelerate. It just felt bad.

Now 60 MPH in 5th is effortless and it accelerates just great from 3250 RPMs on up. Whee!

It also didn't like to accelerate just off idle very well. Getting started moving was a bit of work.

Now it's much better there too.

It feels like there is more torque lower down and it revs pretty freely up to 6K.

I'll open another thread when I feel like dealing with the charging issue.  :wink:

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »
No it hasn't.  The search is working fine now  :grin:

Well alrighty then .

Dusty

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 06:04:42 PM »
Good you got it the right way, have fun with it.
Paul

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here