Author Topic: I don't get the "Bolt Upright" riding position!?  (Read 16358 times)

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
Re: I don't get the "Bolt Upright" riding position!?
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2016, 08:19:59 AM »
When I bought my Cali, I had intended to buy the Touring, but decided I liked the clean simplicity of the Custom, along with the superior rear suspension. One reservation I had, though, was the slight (6 degrees according to Cycle-ergo) forward lean, since I generally prefer a straight-up seating position on a cruiser. As it turns out though, that bit of lean shifts some weight from my butt to my thighs, greatly enhancing seat comfort. Combined with the proper density of the seat foam, I find the stock saddle to be all-day comfortable, as long as I get off for a few minutes every once in a while.  If I was sitting straight up, I don't think that would be the case. So, the combination works well for me.

It seems to me 6 degrees might be about normal upright posture.  It depends among other things on how you're holding your arms.

Lcarlson

« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »
Bolt upright would be 0 degrees, as on the Touring and Eldorado.

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »
I enjoy riding "sport" or at least sporty bikes  - for a very short while that is.  The B12 sport I demoed at the VA rally some years ago and the Griso, while not as much forward lean as a true sport bike, were great fun to ride, but I cannot see myself going the distance like I can on my old EV.

The wife and I rode a short distance, about 80 miles, the other day to a catfish place.  The roads were rural, hilly, a little curvy, and very nice overall.  Again, I thought about how the EV seating position and the bike in general is almost perfect for me, and I just don't "need" another bike right now.

I think my longest non-stop, except for gas and food, ride was about 1400 miles, and the bike was not uncomfortable; I just got dehydrated before I knew it.  I don't think I'd be able to do that or come even close on a Griso for example.
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
Very slightly leaning forward works best for me. Achieved this on my V7 by using a flat Airhawk cushion and sitting further back.

Exactly my experience.  An Airhawk on my V7 with a slight forward lean.

The Airhawk "R" cushion really helps.

But...to each his own.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2016, 06:49:53 PM »
I've nursed a bad back for a full 25 years now, starting at the age of 42. I fully understand the bolt upright seating.

And.... the only time I've ever had a "bad back" was when I was riding a cruiser. As mentioned before, everybody is different. Of course, Kev is wrong.. <running and ducking>  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2016, 08:42:35 AM »
Thought I'd chime back in... years ago, mid "kill me now" crushed disc, i asked my physio-therapist what body position would work best for my particular cervical and lower spine issues.

Her response was, essentially... forward pegs and higher bars with considerable pullback (I'm picturing a 70s chop a king/queen seat and 6-bend bars :D )  ... so I continued riding standards with sportbike bars... go figure.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »
Bolt upright would be 0 degrees, as on the Touring and Eldorado.

My Eldorado was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure I didn't sit at what I would call 0 degrees, if we're looking at such fine distinctions as 0 vs. 6 degrees.  Whatever motorcycle you ride, you have some degree of choice as to how you sit.

Take this guy -- I wouldn't care to guess exactly where he is, but several degrees forward, though for sure the motorcycle is in the upright category.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »
I'd say that rider is "Bolt upright" but slouching. His lower back is 90 degrees, he's just got piss-poor posture.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:26:28 AM by Toecutter »

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »
Yeah, could be - it's hard to say for sure from that picture, but more forward than this guy, true?

This looks like the upright/slouch that really starts at 90 degrees at the seat and bends forward -- I would say, ergonomic disaster, but everyone's different!

But a minute later these guys might have shifted to another position - I mean, if we're measuring down to a couple degrees accuracy, it's a moving target.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2016, 12:52:29 PM »
Hell, I'm correcting my slouch all the damn time... arms start to straighten out, shoulders push up, head starts to fall forward, back bows.... and I have to sit up, let my shoulders relax, and my arms hang a bit, lift my head...

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here