Author Topic: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles  (Read 236222 times)

oldbike54

Re: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles
« Reply #360 on: July 18, 2014, 07:28:45 AM »
Or they can't remember  ;D
   Dusty

Nettshubby

« Reply #361 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
Many years ago out on my Royal (indian made) Enfield, outside an opera house, when couple came out, best bib and tucker, evening dress. He looked at the bike and said "nice bike, they don't make them like that any more" I replied "they do, it's a new one, made in India".

Another time an old guy was looking at my Enfield and said "I used to have a Norton Black Shadow".

oldbike54

« Reply #362 on: July 18, 2014, 08:05:31 AM »
" A Norton black shadow" :D , at least he didn't say a "BMW white widow" , heard that once  ???
   Dusty

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #363 on: July 18, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
My first wife used to call herself a BMW white widow in the making. That was over 40 years ago. I continue to prove her theory incorrect, but she still won't ride with me. Go figger.

Dyslexics untie!
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Wildguzzi.com

Re:
« Reply #363 on: July 18, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »

Offline GUZZI SVT

• New Egg
« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2014, 11:06:49 AM »
My wife and I were stopped at a scenic overlook with some Harley riders. One lady say to my wife "why do you wear all that leather, you look hot, I would never wear that". They soon left. We came around the curve leaving the stop to find them rolling their bare skin around in the gravel as they had dumped the Harley. We just stopped and helped them to their feet and upped the 800 pound HD. We rode off laughing in our helmets.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:07:50 AM by GUZZI SVT »
1953 Astore 500
1967 Bridgestone 90 Sport
1970 Ambassador 100,000miles
1976 850-T3 Cafe Green/White/Red  137,00mi.
1978 850-T3 in pieces
1997 1100 Sporti 115,000 Miles
2003 K1200RS 100,000Miles
2003 K1200RS 32,000Miles
1967 Suzuki B105P Bearcat 120
1997 Suzuki DR650

Bill Doll

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #365 on: July 18, 2014, 11:59:04 AM »
Can't argue with stupid.

No, but, you can laugh at it.   ;D
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

oldbike54

« Reply #366 on: July 18, 2014, 12:14:40 PM »
No, but, you can laugh at it.   ;D

:D :D :D :D :D Some clown on an unmufffled , (demuffled , demufflerized , dunno) orangutan handlebar equipped 50 mile showing on the odo HD came roaring by my house yesterday eve , full throttle in a 25 MPH zone , hat on backwards , mean mugging expression , oakley shades . My sister never looked up , she simply flipped him the bird . He did NOT come back by after his epic ride to the diner 2 blocks away  :D

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #367 on: September 08, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
'Does that say jackass ?" You guys can figure out what the guy was looking at  :D

Dusty

GOatsy

« Reply #368 on: September 08, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »
Did you ask him if he was a Sonny Bono fan?

Interesting story. Years ago we would go to Lake Tahoe a couple of times a year. Well one year I sat next to Sonny on a plane from Orange county (May have been LAX, its been awhile) to Reno. I talked to him for some time and found out we were going to the same resort, Heavenly Valley in South Lake. Pretty nice guy.
Two days later he was dead. I couldn't believe it...........

Chris

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »
Never say to a do-raged Harley rider, "Nice scooter you got there". I almost got my ass kicked for saying that, out side of a bar in Phoenix, by the fellow while he explained to me in very graphic terms that it was a motorcycle not a scooter! Even though I was standing next to my R90s, so he could see I was a rider not a wannabe. Gee those fellows just don't know how to take a compliment.
Welp, harley club members call them scooters.....I'm guessing he was a lonely desperado  'cheezy rider'

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »
Many years ago out on my Royal (indian made) Enfield, outside an opera house, when couple came out, best bib and tucker, evening dress. He looked at the bike and said "nice bike, they don't make them like that any more" I replied "they do, it's a new one, made in India".

Another time an old guy was looking at my Enfield and said "I used to have a Norton Black Shadow".

If I had a nickel for every time some old guy walked up while I was fueling my '98 Triumph Sprint and said, "I used to have a '68 Bonneville"....

Funny stuff.  I think I have met more people who used to ride a '68 Bonneville than there were '68 Bonnevilles !!!

:D
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
  I didn't have a 68 bonneville.  I had a 68 triumph T 120 TT that I raced on the track back in 69 and 70.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Vasco DG

« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2014, 05:08:46 PM »
Far from the stupidest thing that has been said to me but I rode the Griso in to see the bum-doctor in Canberra yesterday and finding anywhere to park is always a nightmare at the hospital but on a bike its manageable.

Anyway I found a small space quite close to Accident and Emergency and had just got off the bike and was unplugging my Gerbings gear when a slack-jawed snaggletoothio and his anorexic pinhead of a girlfriend came scuttling over, outside A&E seems to be their natural habitat for some reason and I knew that I was going to be engaged in conversation so I resigned myself to it.

"Oh mate! Is it turbocharged?"

I actually get asked this quite often and assumed it was because of the camchain whine

"No! no. Its normally aspirated, it just makes a racket."

His face screwed up and his brow furrowed and I knew that something profoundly stupid was hatching in his tiny head.

"If it isn't turbocharged why has it got an intercooler then?" He said drawing himself up to his full five foot five of simian immensity!

This floored me and I suspect I looked pretty stupid myself certainly my bafflement was obvious. He unfolded his arms and pointed with a 'j'accuse' finger, (More like a claw really.) at the oil cooler.

"Ahh, no, that's the oil cooler my friend, its oil cooled."

"Never heard of an oil cooled motor. Why would you do that? And what are all those wires going into your jacket? Does it have a sound system?"

I could tell that if I stuck around I'd probably be stuck there until the methadone dispensary or needle exchange room re-opened after lunch so I briefly explained and then apologised citing my appointment with He of the Black Snake and wished them well. As I was shuffling off to the arse-clinic I heard him telling his companion, "See, its got an intercooler, that makes them really fast...."

Another day of dealing with happy idiots frolicking in their own chaos! Life is good!

Pete

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2014, 05:26:17 PM »
Speaking of happy idiots.. nice to see you, Pete..  ;D :BEER: Uh, btw.. if you did the drugs (highly recommended) for the black snake technique.. you're not supposed to ride home on your sickle.  ~;
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2014, 05:38:09 PM »
I stopped at the gas station with my V11S, a guy asked "who makes this bike?". After telling him, he said it looks just like a Harley.

Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
he said it looks just like a Harley

It does. Gots two wheels, gots a motor. <shrug> Every light airplane is a Piper cub..  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #376 on: September 08, 2014, 06:00:26 PM »
Quote from Chuck in Indiana:
It does. Gots two wheels, gots a motor. <shrug> Every light airplane is a Piper cub..

No, no, no they are all a Cessna. ;)
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #377 on: September 08, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »
... if you did the drugs (highly recommended) for the black snake technique.. you're not supposed to ride home on your sickle. 

I've been to the local "Black Snake" Doctor twice and both times was asked who would be driving me home.  They seem surprised when I say I'll do it myself, since I won't be getting any sedation.  It feels about as bad as what happens after eating a big bowl of beans, and it saves my wife several hours of boredom.  They also skip the I.V. in my arm.

I wonder if the non-US guys here can confirm... I've heard that it's mainly the US that pushes sedation for colonoscopies.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #378 on: September 08, 2014, 06:31:33 PM »
Speaking of happy idiots.. nice to see you, Pete..  ;D :BEER: Uh, btw.. if you did the drugs (highly recommended) for the black snake technique.. you're not supposed to ride home on your sickle.  ~;

hell, just walking and finding your way out is a trip of it's own.....  of course, I did one of those 25 years ago when the doc didn't use any drugs at all.  Man, that is an uncomfortable memory. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Vasco DG

« Reply #379 on: September 08, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
Nothing like a bit of thread drift. I'll be self funding this,it'll cost me about $2,700 but the major out of pocket component is the bed fee in the private hospital, that's about $675. I'll get about half of the rest back from Medicare, the state pre-pay system. If they thought it was *Urgent* I would be seen immediately and for 'Free', (Only of course it isn't free, we pay over our lifetimes through a levy.) but because I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it I can 'Jump the queue' by paying for immediate private care. Thing is if I was to have private insurance there would still be a large out of pocket 'Gap' between what the insurance company would cough and what the procedure would cost. I'd rather self fund rather than giving money to insurance company bastards!

And yes, I will be getting sedated! I don't give a stuff if it costs a bit extra! If someone is going to be sticking a hose pipe with a camera on the end up my date I damn well want to be happily oblivious to it!

Pete

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »
I've been to the local "Black Snake" Doctor twice and both times was asked who would be driving me home.  They seem surprised when I say I'll do it myself, since I won't be getting any sedation.  It feels about as bad as what happens after eating a big bowl of beans, and it saves my wife several hours of boredom.  They also skip the I.V. in my arm.

I wonder if the non-US guys here can confirm... I've heard that it's mainly the US that pushes sedation for colonoscopies.

I can't speak for the non-US guys but can definitely confirm that sedation is not the only thing that gets pushed during a colonoscopy.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »

been there, done that.  Don't recommend it.  The term "Cramps" is a complete understatement by many magnitudes.   :o
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #382 on: September 08, 2014, 11:59:24 PM »
It doesn't bother me much.  I don't know why... I have some of the most sensitive teeth of anyone.  Before I went the first time I read that if it gets uncomfortable, take a deep breath and let it out a couple times to reposition the gas bubble.  That worked great.  Also, since the doctor actually had an interested patient, he explained what we were looking at.  A blue color at the transverse colon is where my liver was against it.  That was pretty cool.  Then he showed me the opening to my appendix and I thought that was amazing.  The far end of the journey was my ileosecal valve, where the small intestine ends.  A look at my hemorrhoids wasn't so fun, but at least I got to see what causes so much mirth down there.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:03:38 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2014, 02:47:29 AM »
And yes, I will be getting sedated! I don't give a stuff if it costs a bit extra! If someone is going to be sticking a hose pipe with a camera on the end up my date I damn well want to be happily oblivious to it!

Pete

When I got my hip done last year the surgeon asked whether I wanted to have it done under epidural or knockout. Would not give his opinion at all, so I finally asked him, if it was HIS hip being done what would HE choose. No hesitation. " I would be knocked out and when I woke up it would all be over".

Guess what I chose! :D
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Kevin M

• Gosling
« Reply #384 on: September 09, 2014, 05:16:50 AM »
Here you go, this was several years ago at a dealership that is no longer in business but will remain nameless. I went there to purchase an 89' California III used in the early 90's, when I get there, I notice the windshield is not installed on the bike & I don't see it close by, so I ask where the windshield is to confirm it is part of the deal as agreed on the phone. The dealer says, "We took it off so it won't blow off on the trip home in the back of your truck" I'm not making it up at all, I couldn't believe it.

oldbike54

« Reply #385 on: September 09, 2014, 09:08:44 AM »
Kevin M , no wonder that dealer is out of business  ???

Dusty

Phil_P

« Reply #386 on: September 09, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
When I got my hip done last year the surgeon asked whether I wanted to have it done under epidural or knockout. Would not give his opinion at all, so I finally asked him, if it was HIS hip being done what would HE choose. No hesitation. " I would be knocked out and when I woke up it would all be over".

Guess what I chose! :D

<thread drift>

I had mine done with epidural. Most weird seeing your legs but not being able to do a darn thing with them ;)

They also pumped me full of sedative (medazolam I think) and the only things I remember are a bit of hammering and the sound of the staple gun.

</thread drift>

Phil

Offline motoguzzibill

• Hatchling
« Reply #387 on: September 09, 2014, 09:45:03 AM »
I wouldn't call it stupid, but it made me chuckle. Had my bike parked at work (public school) and as I was getting ready to leave one of the paraprofessionals came out to admire my Norge and talk bikes. She's a sweetie and I have no problem making small talk with her. Her compliment was " those are really nice tires"!

I haven't heard that one often and wasn't sure how to take it. I'd still give her a ride anytime she'd like one.
Bill

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #388 on: September 09, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
Her compliment was " those are really nice tires"!

I met a professional woodworker once, and one of the things he mentioned was that women like smooth surfaces and rounded corners and edges.  He said if you're making something for a woman, make sure it's sanded very smooth with nothing sharp.  Ever since then I've observed that in general he was right.  If you show something to a woman, it's very likely she'll check out how smooth and rounded it is, often running her hands over it.  Maybe the tires were the smoothest, roundest looking part.

No offense to women meant... men sometimes have their own oddities.   :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:21:01 AM by Triple Jim »

Offline DCWCALI

• Hatchling
« Reply #389 on: September 09, 2014, 02:20:18 PM »
"How do you know where the front tire is...with all that plastic up front?"
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2004 Kawa Z1000
2003 Suzuki SV1000

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here