Author Topic: V50 rebuild  (Read 210 times)

Offline jim130

• New Egg
V50 rebuild
« on: May 07, 2024, 03:31:32 AM »
I wonder if anyone can help.
Currently trying to rebuild a V50 Monza. 13 previous owners!
I have managed to get the bike back to a reasonable state cosmetically, but struggling with electrics. It has a burnt out Dynamic ignition system. It is not possible to just buy the part that has failed. So, does anyone have a spare right (from the front) signal unit. Or points setup?

Offline faffi

• Gosling
Re: V50 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 04:27:54 AM »
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline jim130

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 05:10:53 AM »
Thanks for the link. Yes price is a bit of an issue, by the time I've paid postage and import tax it's getting quite pricey.

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 11:06:22 AM »
Try Gutsibits ...they have a lot of second hand stuff. Nik's Euros spares on ebay too.
Another reasonable alternative is the Newtronic/pyranha .

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 11:06:22 AM »

Offline paulbricey

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 01:58:37 PM »
Interesting....I had same problem when one of my 'replacement' resin coils failed (sadly it took out the RHS unit same as yours & I'm pretty sure I screwed up the other side by switching the coils around to identify the problem). I bought proper lucas coils & another Dyna unit but the price had almost doubled in a year (first one was in late 2020, replaced in exactly a year later in 2021). Ultimately I just couldn't get on or go back to the points set up so paid up.

Anyway:

1. They don't sell spare bits
2. Be careful buying small block ignition plates, think you need the single plate version (they aren't all the same & the 'split plate' versions are major PITA)
3. I looked in garage & I have the proper plate V50 mk3 together with a set of points on it plus condensers (you should still have the advnace unit underneath the dynatek plate)

Let me know if you want me to post them to you ?
I'll post a pic when I get a minute
Cheers
Paul

Here's pic, I also have the original points cam if you need it (guessing you only have dynatek plastic hall effect one) ?

PS I can't vouch for points themselves so you may need to buy new ones (about 30 quid at Gutsibits)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 02:10:22 PM by paulbricey »
Riding to live

Offline paulbricey

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 02:33:49 PM »
Forgot to add Dynatek have UK shop & services, so you won't have atlantic shipping & custom hassle (think they are in preston, I contacted them when first unit went pop)...may still be more than getting somebody to but it for you in US & ship it with a 'low value' customs declaration....it's GBP 256.65 for DS 5-1 in their UK shop.

https://shop.dynatekuk.com/

Riding to live

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride, Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here