Author Topic: NGC-Opinions on this scooter travel story  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
NGC-Opinions on this scooter travel story
« on: March 02, 2019, 12:13:18 PM »
A little different from many travelogues I've seen.

http://magazine.americanmotorcyclist.com/6937/scootering-through-indonesia/

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC-Opinions on this scooter travel story
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »
A little different from many travelogues I've seen.

http://magazine.americanmotorcyclist.com/6937/scootering-through-indonesia/

Good on 'em for trying it.   I note that although the descriptions tell about absolutely constant, maniacal, wall-to-wall traffic, their opening picture shows a completely deserted modern road?

And if there are no accidents to be seen, how is the traffic as "bad" as they say?

You can tell that a little attitude adjustment is needed when they started out in full gear and helmets.   Me, I'd look to see what the locals are wearing to ride, and wear that (although no one will ever mistake me for an Indonesian).   Probably a white singlet or shirt, loose pants, and sandals, or whatever they're wearing.

Amenities?   My expectations would be so low starting out that anything would be an improvement!

I'd do it, but it would have to be without Fay; she's already said "NO!" to riding in Asia ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 06:01:11 PM »
I was surprised at the attitude a bit-after all the effort of getting there. Also surprised that they were eager to pull the plug so quickly being experienced at travel-though Indonesia would be a big ask for any Westerner. Especially if you want to get out of the bubble that is too easy to fall into.

I'm curious about Laos (I know a lot of folks from there) but I don't know if I will ever get there. Might be a safer "exotic" trip.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:40:03 PM »
First time I went to England to ride on the wrong side of the road, I did it with a local friend ... got in a lot of good practice following his taillight for a while before going solo.   I'd do the same riding in Asia for the first time before I leaped out on my own ...

It wouldn't be the riding that would worry me, though; I'm sure I could "do as the Romans do" when it came to every-rider-for-himself traffic.   It's the local food and water - the local intestinal flora and my insides would take a week or so to get acquainted, and in the meantime it would be horrible.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:40:03 PM »

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 02:11:14 AM »
I've read more than a couple of ride reports from folks touring those areas on small bikes, large bikes, scooters, etc., and the ones who seem to have the best experiences are those who do it on the cheap and stay away from the tourist areas.  It seems to me that these folks are more adapted to riding Rout 66 than really getting to know the people, cultures and wonders of places off the beaten track.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline param2000

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »
I am from India now living in US, the contrast of traffic is very different but expectation should be adjusted depending on the place.
I can tell you one thing riding a motorcycle in north Indian mountains in full traffic cars trucks people animals on the road & no guard rails and you in your teen years with Royal Enfield 500, is not safe and stupid but its the best ride i ever did and will do it again given a chance.
I understand safety is important but the world is not same everywhere and some places are just unsafe but they are fun and ride of a life time

twowings

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 02:55:40 PM »
You mean like this?  :laugh:

Offline param2000

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 03:41:22 PM »
Wow reminds me of my trips, thank you for sharing

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here