Author Topic: Why do competitive chili pepper eaters subject themselves to such torture?  (Read 848 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
I like hot food.  Spicy too but this is a whole other thing.  😳  Hottest I've used/eaten are habanero chilis.   :shocked: :shocked: 

https://thetakeout.com/why-people-compete-in-chili-eating-competitions-1846606299?utm_source=GetTheElevatordotcom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qEEpVCUTw
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline RHAT

• Hatchling
I dunno,  but eating ice cream afterwards doesn't produce the desired results either.   

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
Because it feels so good when you stop??
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

GeorgiaGuzzi

I kinda understand. But I put it down to that’s what they enjoy. Maybe they’re all masochists. I try not to shake my head too much because I enjoy riding around on two wheels with 5 gallons of combustible liquid between my legs. More if I have to pee!

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Milosh

• Hatchling
To them, it's not torture.
___________________ ___________________ __
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Because it feels so good when you stop??

Besides bragging rights, I think it falls into this area.  "Does it hurt when you do this?  Well stopping doing that!"  🤪🤪🤪
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
Because stupid has no limits?
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
😳

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
As a kid ketchup  was a hot as it got. Years ago for fun my daughter and I grew jalapeño peppers and started putting the sparingly in dishes. Then I guess we got used to it and wanted more. Then jalapeño was not enough and moved to habanero then built a tolerance to it. The last few years been foolin with Carolina Reapers and contrary to popular belief not only are super hot. Peppers hot they also have great complex flavor.

I don’t eat hot stuff to impress people I eat it because I like it. I make cured meats and cheeses with hot and super hots and they are amazing one of a kind products tailor made to me and my families liking.

Why do some people subject themselves to  eat potted meat, Spam, Mayo or scrapple. I guess because they want too?

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
I think the top folks can actually make money doing so.

But even if that’s not so,  it gives them something to look forward to, if you catch my drift.   Ohuuuch!!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
The key word in what you are talking about is "competitive".  Hot stuff has goodness, to a point, and some people enjoy foods that are quite spicy.

But *any* time something becomes a competition, it no longer matters if it is enjoyable, or smart, or rational, or anything else but beating the other competitors.  SO the answer is that they do it to "win".

PhilB

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
I have always eaten hot peppers but in my older age they just don't agree with me. I used to eat Habaneros on a regular basis but, not anymore! But I raised quite a few hot peppers this last year and I had some of these "Ghost peppers". Needless to say, I dried them out and tested a half of one. About 1/2" x 3/8" and I thought I was going to die! 1.5million on the Scoville scale I later found out, as that is 3X's the heat of an orange Habanero. Rubber gloves is a must with this stuff and one pepper will do a 1/2 qt of salsa or more. A friend of mine of Hispanic descent said the if you are out in the desert and must cross a lot of land (think sneaking across the border) all you need is some hot peppers and some water to make it through.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Is there more vitamin C with more capsaicin?  More burn with vitamin C?

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
I've heard a lot of bs in my day, but the very best is a bubba said that after eating too many hot peppers he had to wipe his as$ with a snow cone. BTDT, but didn't have the snow cone.

Tex

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
I just had a 1/2 dozen mango habanero chicken wings, They were delicious and pretty hot. Some have a higher tolerance than others and enjoy the feeling. To say something is stupid you don't understand is just ignorant. I prefer wasabi heat myself.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
I just had a 1/2 dozen mango habanero chicken wings, They were delicious and pretty hot. Some have a higher tolerance than others and enjoy the feeling.

Salivating...
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
I like the snow cone one, never thought of that...
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
No matter how tough these human competitors are at eating super hot peppers, none could outperform a random parrot.   :shocked:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 11:22:50 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here