Author Topic: NEWB 1st Guzzi purchase  (Read 1185 times)

Offline FL1

• New Egg
NEWB 1st Guzzi purchase
« on: April 08, 2021, 04:11:56 PM »
Hey all, I have been looking for a bike for a minute, I was primarily looking for an FJR or Concours14 but after riding a late model FJR this morning, its old, or feels old.

I saw an 07 Griso and even made an offer on it, but we are still aways apart, so I am wanting to refine what I would actually consider buying. The 1100 does not have the tappet issue, but I like the esthetic appeal of the 1200 or generally a newer Model, maybe 12'-13' or newer to avoid tappet issue and a bit more appealing to look at than an 07 2v.

Is there much difference in how the bike rides from the older 2V to a newer 4v. Worth it to pay a little more? Or, should I just buy a good cheap one and see if it grows on me?

I think the Griso is the most appealing config. I mostly ride 3-5 hr stints, up and down the coast here in Florida. I have had an FJR in the past and thought I might do an over the road ride maybe 1-2x a year, but not convinced I would even do that, so likely that 90% of my riding would be the 100-150 mile lunch outings. Any feedback is appreciated!!

oldbike54

Re: NEWB 1st Guzzi purchase
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 04:29:28 PM »
 Others who are more familiar with Grisos will be along soon .

Welcome to our little turnip patch .

Dusty

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »
I had a 1100 Griso and I love the 1100 motor. Hated the range (150/170 miles you better start looking at 180/190 you need fuel NOW or soon you'll be walking) . Loved the suspension hated how long the bike was. I also hated the factory fueling. The bike surged, pinged and ran like shit. The fix at the time would have cost about $1200 for maps, controllers to make it a closed loop system. I sold the bike and have not looked back.

The only way I'd another is if I got it cheap. I wouldn;t pay more than $2500 for an 1100 and would not take a 4 valver on a bet.

They are lookers though!

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 04:58:24 PM »
Any Griso is good, and the 4 valve bikes are excellent!   At this point as you mentioned it is best to steer clear of an early 8v with flat tappets.

I only have experience with the 8V and I love it.   As far as fueling, a $100 map to Beetle for his highly refined map transformed the engine from a bit grumblely to a turbine smooth tower of power.  Amazing, really!

For your type of riding it would work very well.  Welcome to the forum!!

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 04:58:24 PM »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 05:04:39 PM »
Hey all, I have been looking for a bike for a minute, I was primarily looking for an FJR or Concours14 but after riding a late model FJR this morning, its old, or feels old.

I saw an 07 Griso and even made an offer on it, but we are still aways apart, so I am wanting to refine what I would actually consider buying. The 1100 does not have the tappet issue, but I like the esthetic appeal of the 1200 or generally a newer Model, maybe 12'-13' or newer to avoid tappet issue and a bit more appealing to look at than an 07 2v.

Is there much difference in how the bike rides from the older 2V to a newer 4v. Worth it to pay a little more? Or, should I just buy a good cheap one and see if it grows on me?

I think the Griso is the most appealing config. I mostly ride 3-5 hr stints, up and down the coast here in Florida. I have had an FJR in the past and thought I might do an over the road ride maybe 1-2x a year, but not convinced I would even do that, so likely that 90% of my riding would be the 100-150 mile lunch outings. Any feedback is appreciated!!

I have a 4V 1100 Griso and a 4V 1200 Sport, and had an 8V Norge.  I much prefer the 4V motors over the 8V, even though the 8V motor has more power at the top of the rev band. In my valuation, the 4V motor has more character, Guzzi charm and less 'bucket of bolts' sound as compared to the 8V. Besides, the 4V motors have that glorious dual clutch sound.....  :evil:

I actually came from 8 years on an 05 FJR when I bought my Norge. Until you adjust to the different way the motors make power, any Guzzi will feel gutless by comparison. It took me a while, and after 30 years on Japanese IL4 motors, I occasionally miss that sound and feel, but enjoy my Guzzi's far more than I did the FJR, FZ1 and Concours that preceded them.

Griso

1200 Sport

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:08:16 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline FL1

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 05:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. @bulldog (Gonzaga? or Georgia?) I do love the light speed portion of the FJR show, but the reality is I should probably not have something quite so lethal. I have been through a couple of metric vtwins last year and want something off the beaten path. I am attracted to the MG because of the character of the bike, sound and mechanical clatterings of an OG vtwin. I have had ducs and an RC51, they are tough to beat for sound and the soulful experience they offer. The Guzzi is one of a few marques that I have yet to own and I would like to add it to my list of conquests.

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 06:30:24 PM »
FL1 you have the right mindset to delve into a Guzzi as you have had a lot of other bikes. I had an FZ1 and was the greatest bike I ever owned. But is it Guzzi? Absolutely not. The great thing about bikes is that are all different; maybe some quite a bit, and maybe some not. The Guzzi as many of the persons on this website will attest too, is that Guzzi's are an acquired taste. But the history and successes in racing plus the hang over a cliff bankruptcy episodes and the incredible designers that had many firsts in the industry and the sheer monumental location of the factory and the generations of workers that were/are involved makes it second to Harley or maybe eclipses Milwaukee. One thing that everybody knows here, is that you have to have some mechanical knowledge and do the services within spec whether you do it yourself (recommended) or have someone else do it.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 06:56:49 PM »
Hey all, I have been looking for a bike for a minute
...!!! A minute ?
Anyway, welcome to here.
V85 Lover has just tied up a deal on his first Guzzi. I was asked my opinion and it was that as an entry bike it is the way to go.
You will notice that the old 2VPC ones are colloquially referred to as “2 valvers” and the later ones “8 valvers..”
My input was, that the newer jigger is only better when you play at licence loss/impound speed and it comes at a higher initial purchase price and perceived potential complications.
Also after riding an 8 valver last week, I can most definitely assure you that they do not have the liquid pulse feeling that a 2 valver has..
PLEASE RIDE THEM BOTH...
The older ones have no inherent issues that are peculiar to them and after doing grease, startus, and making sure the locking nut on the pinion shaft in the bevelbox is secure, you’re right to roll.
Make no mistake though, the performance difference above 4,000 is indisputable but that really is all you get for your money.
Have a look back over the pages here and compare the tales of woe regarding ill mannered big blocks and see how many are 8V versus 2V horror stories there are.
Here’s the good bit...
It seems that the success rate of re mapping an 8V with a Beetle map is not covered in the same degree of glory as his 2V offering.
My bike is an old 2V and was Beetle mapped, Roper tuned early in it’s life and has been exemplary. Obviously up to you, but you simply MUST ride both extensively before purchase..
If I’m wrong I’ll admit it....(but I’m not..).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 06:58:33 PM by Huzo »

Offline FL1

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 07:56:35 PM »
I would love to put some miles on both, but the reality is that MG's arent laying around like most other brands. I am mechanically adept but I also have ready access to professional help so not concerned with shop costs, and to be fair, correct me if I am wrong, the Guzzi is easy to care for..... and as I understand so far, is quite reliable. One of the draws is the long history of the marque. No way they got that far turning out hard to maintain junk. I feel like an older 2V with lower miles, assuming price is right, is a good long term hold. I really dont spend a lot  of time at XXX mph's but it has to be comfy at 70 mph. It wont be my last bike, but the reason I have had so many bikes is that I have bought them well, used and cared for them with love and affection and resold for my cost or small profit as I am sure at least a few of you can relate to. Its the only way I will buy one, but so far I am confident that part of the process will work out.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 08:00:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies. @bulldog (Gonzaga? or Georgia?) I do love the light speed portion of the FJR show, but the reality is I should probably not have something quite so lethal. I have been through a couple of metric vtwins last year and want something off the beaten path. I am attracted to the MG because of the character of the bike, sound and mechanical clatterings of an OG vtwin. I have had ducs and an RC51, they are tough to beat for sound and the soulful experience they offer. The Guzzi is one of a few marques that I have yet to own and I would like to add it to my list of conquests.

The FJR is a beast, but to enjoy, you need to be cranking hard and pushing it to unsafe/wise speeds. Otherwise, after 8 years and 60-70K miles it became a borefest. I only rode 500 miles the last year. I was beginning to think that I had at age 50 gotten over my lifelong addiction. I didn't want to be motorcycle less and was cross country from my old Yamahas, so I decided to go with a simple naked standard. Discovered the Griso, and put 2K miles on in the first month.... It wasn't really great for LD rides, so I added a Norge a month later, keeping the Griso, and the addiction has grown.....

On a Big Block Guzzi, especially a CARC, you can put around, take it slow, backroads, take it all in and have a fantastic time, or push it, canyon carve and also have a blast..... Many guys set up the Griso for Touring with bags and a mid sized screen, but I love the naked pure look of it. I use my 1200 Sport for the LD high speed touring, and have a modified Stornello for more (light) ADV style riding.

Lots of guys love the EV bikes, but I can't connect with them. Take your time, find a few to ride, if you 'get' a Guzzi you won't regret whatever you decide on.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 08:08:11 PM »
...!!! A minute ?
Anyway, welcome to here.
V85 Lover has just tied up a deal on his first Guzzi. I was asked my opinion and it was that as an entry bike it is the way to go.
You will notice that the old 2VPC ones are colloquially referred to as “2 valvers” and the later ones “8 valvers..”
My input was, that the newer jigger is only better when you play at licence loss/impound speed and it comes at a higher initial purchase price and perceived potential complications.
Also after riding an 8 valver last week, I can most definitely assure you that they do not have the liquid pulse feeling that a 2 valver has..
PLEASE RIDE THEM BOTH...
The older ones have no inherent issues that are peculiar to them and after doing grease, startus, and making sure the locking nut on the pinion shaft in the bevelbox is secure, you’re right to roll.
Make no mistake though, the performance difference above 4,000 is indisputable but that really is all you get for your money.
Have a look back over the pages here and compare the tales of woe regarding ill mannered big blocks and see how many are 8V versus 2V horror stories there are.
Here’s the good bit...
It seems that the success rate of re mapping an 8V with a Beetle map is not covered in the same degree of glory as his 2V offering.
My bike is an old 2V and was Beetle mapped, Roper tuned early in it’s life and has been exemplary. Obviously up to you, but you simply MUST ride both extensively before purchase..
If I’m wrong I’ll admit it....(but I’m not..).

Mostly spot on Huzo, but having spent many hours bouncing between the 4V Griso and 8V Norge motors, the real 8V push is above 6K. 4-6K feels about the same, with the 4V 'feeling' better to my butt dyno....  :angel: Found the same when riding with a buddy last year swapping between his 8V Griso and my 4V Griso. Both are "Beetleized"  The top end of the 8V has it all over the 4V motor, but like you, I prefer the overall feel and response of the 4V motor. I also loath the can of rocks sound the 8V's make. I found the same on the 1400 8V motor. Still preferred the Griso, and why I was thrilled to inherit Bobs (Ohiorider) 1200 Sport.....
MGNOC#23231

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 09:00:16 PM »
Go for the Griso!!
I rode a Concours 1400 for a week when they first came out, wicked fast, 250km/hr and still had more to go. Rode the FJ in 2017, brilliant bike, but both the Kawasaki and Yamaha felt bland, too smooth. The GUZZI has a soul.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline v85lover

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 09:08:58 PM »
I went on the hunt for a 1200 sport this week and for about a year now i've loved the 8v model with the red and white paint, it was love at first sight BUT being a older bloke now i was smart enough to speak to other owners about the 2v vs 8v motors as you have also (smart move by the way), over time i heard about the 8v roller job that MUST be done if you want any longevity out of the motors $2,000+ job and even then you are not really in the clear from other 8v problems. 

owning a 2v is almost like having a insurance policy because if you look back at all these very useful threads you will find a lot of heartache and sad love stories about 8v motor worries
as everyone has also said you need to ride both if you like the pull over 8v get the 8v ONLY IF ITS BEEN HAD THE ROLLERS DONE THOUGH! at lower kms or got for the 2v because its perfect as is ( id be chucking a bettle map on it though they ride like butter ;-)

if could get the beautiful  red and white one in a 2v id be all over it!

stay safe buy a guzzi ;)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 08:40:03 AM »
I went on the hunt for a 1200 sport this week and for about a year now i've loved the 8v model with the red and white paint, it was love at first sight BUT being a older bloke now i was smart enough to speak to other owners about the 2v vs 8v motors as you have also (smart move by the way), over time i heard about the 8v roller job that MUST be done if you want any longevity out of the motors $2,000+ job and even then you are not really in the clear from other 8v problems. 

owning a 2v is almost like having a insurance policy because if you look back at all these very useful threads you will find a lot of heartache and sad love stories about 8v motor worries
as everyone has also said you need to ride both if you like the pull over 8v get the 8v ONLY IF ITS BEEN HAD THE ROLLERS DONE THOUGH! at lower kms or got for the 2v because its perfect as is ( id be chucking a bettle map on it though they ride like butter ;-)

if could get the beautiful  red and white one in a 2v id be all over it!

stay safe buy a guzzi ;)

Not to pick a nit but..... It is best to refer to the motors as 4Valve or 8 Valve, not 2V and 8V, meaning the 4V motor has 2V per head, and the 8V motor has 4V per head. The only 2V Guzzi would be a single cyl ;-)   

It took me 13 years to get my hands on a 1200 Sport, and mine was the first I'd seen in the flesh.  I remember back in 2007-2008 seeing the reviews and immediately wanted one, but had no access to a Guzzi dealership. It is a fantastic bike. I consider it a Griso with a silk glove. Just a bit smoother, refined and softer. Everything on my Griso is sharp edged and 'tight' the 1200 Sport is softer edged and smoother, less NVH, and much better for Long Distance/All Day riding.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:46:02 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

Online Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 08:55:03 AM »
Not to pick a nit but..... It is best to refer to the motors as 4Valve or 8 Valve, not 2V and 8V, meaning the 4V motor has 2V per head, and the 8V motor has 4V per head. The only 2V Guzzi would be a single cyl ;-)   

It took me 13 years to get my hands on a 1200 Sport, and mine was the first I'd seen in the flesh.  I remember back in 2007-2008 seeing the reviews and immediately wanted one, but had no access to a Guzzi dealership. It is a fantastic bike. I consider it a Griso with a silk glove. Just a bit smoother, refined and softer. Everything on my Griso is sharp edged and 'tight' the 1200 Sport is softer edged and smoother, less NVH, and much better for Long Distance/All Day riding.

Except that the 1200 Sport 4V is 4 valves per cylinder as advertised by Moto Guzzi. If the company would have been consistent then it would be easier.

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 09:15:27 AM »
 My 2015 8v GRiSO goes like stink and has been bulletproof these past 35k miles.. NEVER underestimate an 8v Guzzi motor!

Complementary pic for you from somewhere in Florida  :boozing:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 10:21:21 AM »
Except that the 1200 Sport 4V is 4 valves per cylinder as advertised by Moto Guzzi. If the company would have been consistent then it would be easier.

LOL, So Same Motor is an 8V 1200 GT Norge, but 4V 1200 Sport......... oh Mario.............. .......
MGNOC#23231

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here