Author Topic: EV Fuel pressure regulator substitute  (Read 7575 times)

LaMojo

EV Fuel pressure regulator substitute
« on: July 02, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
My 1998 EV left me stranded at the Arkansas rally last month.  FPR developed a leak in the diaphragm, with fuel leaking on the engine. Not good.

A little research revealed that all F.I. California and Quota models used the same regulators from 1993 to about 2003 when in-tank fuel pumps were used.
Should be plenty of new ones to be had.  Noooooo.  And reasonably priced.  Nooooo.  Found one at about $180 + shipping - if in stock.

A little more research revealed that the MG/Weber regulator was set to deliver fuel to the injectors at 2.5 bars, the fuel pump at 3.0 bars and up to the regulator. Above 5 bars, a check valve opened up in the fuel tank/pump recirculation connection.

In short, I found a regulator used in auto applications, for all purposes, identical to the Weber specs--- 2.5 bars, hose nipples are the same sizes with tank return. Mounting will be different but zip ties will do the trick.  I had planned to replace all fuel lines so location won't be a problem.

I'll report back later after installation but it'll be awhile.  The Quota runs just fine for now.

PR-159 on right.

BTW, the regulator part # PR-159 made/marketed by several manufacturers.   About $50+/-.  

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:48:33 PM by LaMojo »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: EV Fuel pressure regulator substitute
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »
There are at least two regulators that were used on external pump models.  One was remote mounted and the other was coupled directly to a spigot on the fuel tank.  There may have been more.  I assume the changeover came with the move from P8 to 15M, but that's just a guess.

I am using an adjustable regulator with a gauge.  It was available on ebay @~$25.  Here's a link to a random listing for one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Red-Adjustable-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-Gauge-JDM-FPR-1-1-0-140-PSI-/271195804616?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f248793c8&vxp=mtr

LaMojo

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
Yeah, I saw those but the one you show does not have a fuel tank return provision.  All fuel pressure regulators used by Moto Guzzi use the same one, part #29112760 since 1990 (beginning for MG F.I) for the external fuel pump F. I system. I didn't see any diagrams that showed an alternate location or a different location or any other regulator other than that one.  There certainly could be different set ups.. Which one do you know of?   

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:18:28 PM »
I just pulled one at random to show the general shape and size.  I wasn't reading the specs.

The oem unit you show is not the same as is on my Jackal tank.  Mine looks more like this one, except it uses that pipe coupler to connect directly to the fuel tank -- no flange.  I don't have it handy to look at.  My point being that there is at least one other type out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Moto-Guzzi-LeMans-Sport-V11-FUEL-PRESS-RETURN-RELIEF-VALVE-/130931711182?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7c235cce&vxp=mtr

If this variant had a coupler it would be a good match for mine.  It might be the same as the one above without the flange.  With the proper coupler, this one is a bolt-on conversion of an early tonti tank to efi service.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Moto-Guzzi-California-EV-1100-S332-fuel-pressure-regulator-assembly-/350916145772?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b43b726c&vxp=mtr

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:18:28 PM »

LaMojo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:37:55 PM »
I just pulled one at random to show the general shape and size.  I wasn't reading the specs.

The oem unit you show is not the same as is on my Jackal tank.  Mine looks more like this one, except it uses that pipe coupler to connect directly to the fuel tank -- no flange.  I don't have it handy to look at.  My point being that there is at least one other type out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Moto-Guzzi-LeMans-Sport-V11-FUEL-PRESS-RETURN-RELIEF-VALVE-/130931711182?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7c235cce&vxp=mtr

Yep, you are absolutely right.  I didn't look past the 1998 EV years. Apparently the change occurred in 1999.

If this variant had a coupler it would be a good match for mine.  It might be the same as the one above without the flange.  With the proper coupler, this one is a bolt-on conversion of an early tonti tank to efi service.

This looks like the one used on early HD F. I systems

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Moto-Guzzi-California-EV-1100-S332-fuel-pressure-regulator-assembly-/350916145772?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b43b726c&vxp=mtr

My 2000 Jackel also has a different system than my 1998 EV.  Thanks for the correction.  Hummmm, I wonder if I could use the Jackal regulator?

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »
yes you could use the Jackal reg.. I have a spare you can have if needed.. it's the one mounted under tank not directly to the tank input threads.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »
My 1998 EV left me stranded at the Arkansas rally last month.  FPR developed a leak in the diaphragm, with fuel leaking on the engine. Not good.

A little research revealed that all F.I. California and Quota models used the same regulators from 1993 to about 2003 when in-tank fuel pumps were used.
Should be plenty of new ones to be had.  Noooooo.  And reasonably priced.  Nooooo.  Found one at about $180 + shipping - if in stock.

A little more research revealed that the MG/Weber regulator was set to deliver fuel to the injectors at 2.5 bars, the fuel pump at 3.0 bars and up to the regulator. Above 5 bars, a check valve opened up in the fuel tank/pump recirculation connection.

In short, I found a regulator used in auto applications, for all purposes, identical to the Weber specs--- 2.5 bars, hose nipples are the same sizes with tank return. Mounting will be different but zip ties will do the trick.  I had planned to replace all fuel lines so location won't be a problem.

I'll report back later after installation but it'll be awhile.  The Quota runs just fine for now.

PR-159 on right.

BTW, the regulator part # PR-159 made/marketed by several manufacturers.   About $50+/-. 

Hello everyone , i just got the same FPR as above ( right side in pic ) , i too the original one off the bike already ( same as the left one in the picture )

The original one ( weber ) has a hose fitting that it's bolted in the back of the FPR  and connected on the fuel tank ( r behind the steering neck area )

Can someone explain me if i can just cut of the end of the home with bolt fitting and clamp it to the new FPR ?

bike is a cali EV 98.

thanks

LaMojo

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 04:47:29 PM »
If the hose is ok and long enough, just cut it off and use a hose clamp. There won't be any pressure in the fuel tank return line.  I needed a new line as my old one was cracked, so I ground off about a quarter of the tank threaded connector (crimp side only without damaging the inner nipple) to where I could remove the hose and the part of the clamp that was left slid off the nipple.  Used a longer fuel line with clamps at each end.  No problems since replacement with the PR-159.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:00:06 PM by LaMojo »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 07:55:35 PM »
Arevino, if that doesn't work out I still have a used spare I'll give up for the cause.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here