Author Topic: V 85 Cruise Control fail  (Read 1671 times)

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
V 85 Cruise Control fail
« on: April 09, 2021, 08:29:49 PM »
Uh Oh.  CC not working properly.  Will click on but will shut off after 5-10 seconds.  About every 5th time it will stay on for 15 seconds before defaulting off.
Also seems to want to shut off if I adjust speed up or down.  Happened first two days ago on a very windy day.  At first I thought maybe it was "thinking" I was braking due to pretty severe wind buffeting and just clicked off.  Nope.  Calm today and same thing.  Bike has 7600 miles.  Looks like my first warranty issue and a call to Cadre coming up.  Anybody else have any issues with CC on the V 85?

Offline GonzoB

• Hatchling
    • Gonzo Projects
Re: V 85 Cruise Control fail
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 03:41:30 AM »
I don't know about the V85 CC, but I have been running electronic cruise controls for many years, so here's some thoughts...

It could be a problem with the electronics, but it's worth while checking the exterior stuff first. The main things that turn CCs off are:
  • Brake light
  • Clutch switch
  • Losing speed signal
  • Sudden change in revs
  • Sudden change in throttle
In this case, it's unlikely to be the rev counter, as that would cause all manner of issues with the ECU. You can check the brake light and make sure it's not flashing on intermittently. You can check the clutch switch by trying to start the bike in gear with the clutch out (it shouldn't start). It could be the speed sensor, but I think that also feeds into the ABS, and that system would probably complain as well. It could be the TPS, but again, that would probably cause other errors.

Have you checked GuzziDiag for errors?

Out of ideas.

Gonzo
My '07 Breva 750 Projects: MCC cruise - Luggage - Shorter Shocks -

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 05:47:09 AM »
Thanks guys for the input.  My friend out in Colorado who also has a V 85  asked if this is the first time I have used cc since Cadre installed OEM heated grips back in December.  In fact it is.  The heated grips work fine.  Could there be any significance/or relevance to the heated grips install?

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 07:22:08 AM »
Thanks ZZ.  Good suggestion to check out.  Makes sense to start with the easy stuff first.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 07:22:08 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 10:00:20 AM »
GonzoB probably hit the nail on the head.
Not CC related but I was worried I was resting my foot on the pedal of my V7III so I wired an LED to the front brake switch and ground.
Just a bare LED and 1K resistor in series sitting right on the switch and shows red between the lever and throttle if either front or rear brake is applied.
I did have to ground the bars as they are rubber mounted but there's a convenient bolt beside the LH bar clamp.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 10:04:25 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 12:36:49 PM »
I use a throttle rocker on mine because the return spring is so stiff. With cruise on and resting my hand on the throttle it will sometimes kick off on a bigger bump because my hand inadvertently twists the throttle clockwise a bit.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 01:02:20 PM »
I use a throttle rocker on mine because the return spring is so stiff. With cruise on and resting my hand on the throttle it will sometimes kick off on a bigger bump because my hand inadvertently twists the throttle clockwise a bit.
I have explained how to fix this on another thread.
Briefly it involves separating the halves and reducing the preload on the clock type spring from 2.5 turns to 1.5.
Dramatically reduces effort required I’ll try to find it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:09:52 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 01:18:42 PM »
Look on “V85 facelift” thread..

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 04:54:04 PM »
Thanks guys for the input.  My friend out in Colorado who also has a V 85  asked if this is the first time I have used cc since Cadre installed OEM heated grips back in December.  In fact it is.  The heated grips work fine.  Could there be any significance/or relevance to the heated grips install?

I know that if you twist the throttle closed hard, that also turns off the cruise. Plus all of the usual, brakes and such. I would start by checking the brake light switches, and throttle interference.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 03:32:54 PM »
Look on “V85 facelift” thread..

On the list!
I was in Az for the winter when you posted it with basically no tools, vise etc. so I waited until I got home. It seems there are always surprises.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 06:15:11 PM »
Update on the cruise control fail/repair.  It was indeed related to the installation of OEM heated grips.  This somehow caused a default code in the throttle by wire.  A couple default codes actually.  So, a reprogram and all is good.  Apparently there is now a directive from Piaggio/MG that this upgrade/reprogram (whatever you call it) is now required whenever the OEM heated grips are installed.  If you have more questions than what I have written, don't ask me cause I haven't got a clue.  I know other people who got their grips installed or did the Oxford's and no one else has seemed to have the issue.  Again, this is what Joe the Mechanic at Cadre and Enzo explained to me. There was no hardware issue involved with faulty switches or relays.  I am just happy that the bike is functioning properly.  Just thought I would pass this along.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here