Author Topic: Preferred tire vendors?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Preferred tire vendors?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2021, 07:43:37 PM »
That's a shop I'd patronize.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2021, 08:36:16 PM »
 Two new Shinkos ordered today from Cycle Gear over the phone , I have a long history of getting the wrong thing ordering on the internet .

Now if someone could tell me who has some fork seals and bushes for 45 MM forks ...

Dusty

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2021, 08:38:24 AM »
American Moto Tire

Just  an order  arrived in 3 days.

Third order placed with them same results.

Good prices and good dates 6 months or less.

TOMB
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2021, 01:06:29 PM »
Two new Shinkos ordered today from Cycle Gear over the phone , I have a long history of getting the wrong thing ordering on the internet .

Now if someone could tell me who has some fork seals and bushes for 45 MM forks ...

Dusty

For the haters out there.  Shinko is Japanese Corp.  with manufacturing plants in South Korea.  Their USA HQ is Boise, ID.  The basis of the designs & start of the company is from Yokohama Tires that they bought. 

Excellent tires and best bank for the buck.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2021, 01:06:29 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2021, 01:10:34 PM »
For the haters out there.  Shinko is Japanese Corp.  with manufacturing plants in South Korea.  Their USA HQ is Boise, ID.  The basis of the designs & start of the company is from Yokohama Tires that they bought. 

Excellent tires and best bank for the buck.

No bigger a supporter of the brand than some of us here , a set costs less than many brands charge for a single tyre , and they just work .

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb:

Maxxis is a good brand too.  They don't make the kevlar belted rear tires anymore.   :undecided:

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2021, 01:56:44 PM »
:thumb: :thumb:

Maxxis is a good brand too.  They don't make the kevlar belted rear tires anymore.   :undecided:

The old Cheng Shin brand I think .

Dusty

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2021, 02:29:53 PM »
My 2¢...

I've been getting my tires from Revzilla, Cyclegear, Dennis Kirk, Motosport, Bike Bandit, etc. over the years.  The last pair I bought in January was from Western Powersports, they were shipped to the house.  What I thought was unusual about this purchase was that one of the tires was from WPS and the other was from JP Cycle.  And, they arrived separately, on different days.  So, I wonder if several of these retailers work with each other as far as selling tires.  Something else I noticed with this particular pair of tires I bought was that the internet pricing was exactly the same from retailer to retailer.

Also, it seemed to me that years ago I could buy a new mc tire that had a production date indicating it was 3-6 months old.  In the last few years it seems normal to get one that is 8-15 months old.

These internet retailers are all drop shippers. There are several warehouses staged around the country and no matter what internet retailer you order from they ship out of these warehouses. Ever wonder why everyone seems to get tires in 2 or 3 days? Its not because a California based company has super fast shippers and can get tires to the east coast in two days. Its because the your order to the California based company gets directed to the warehouse in Kentucky.

On several occasions I've ordered tires and one came the hub in Kentucky and the other form Nevada days apart. I can only assume the the Kentucky warehouse was out out of the one tire and the order got kicked to the next closest stocking warehouse. 
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2021, 02:45:59 PM »
The old Cheng Shin brand I think .

Dusty

It's their hi-tech subsidiary brand to compete on another level vs the normal Cheng Shin brand.  Those are made in China, Taiwan & Thailand but still owned by Chinese in Taiwan.   :tongue:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2021, 03:18:25 PM »
That's a shop I'd patronize.   :thumb:

Just ask around.  I have two go-to shops.  I consider both the owners friends.  I get mad at them sometimes but they generally try.  One guy was a tendency to scratch and ding my stuff, so I don't let him have a bike overnight.  Most of them will look up the tire in the book, give you a price that you can live with and get the tire the next day or the day after. 

They'll install it in 20 minutes and you're gone.   :laugh:

If I lose or gain $10 or $15 on the deal, it's worth it all the way around. 

Now I'm sure those Cycle Gear deals where they have a full set for 60% off is a better deal.  No question.  But I seldom need a set, usually just the front or the rear.  And that assumes I have stands to take both wheels off (I don't).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:20:31 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2021, 03:19:41 PM »
Totally different out here in the middle of the Pacific.  Was easier when I lived in Mesa.  The shops out here won't work on your bike if you didn't buy from them.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:06:25 PM by Tom »

Offline et18

• Hatchling
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2021, 08:32:14 PM »
Rocky Mountain ATV always has the best price on 200 / 60 R16 for the 1400.  I can usually get a Bridgestone for $150 or under.  Just got an Excedra Max this week for $165, tax included w/ free shipping.  Same tire at the next cheapest place (AMT) is $171 before tax.  Other places like Dennis Kirk and JP Cycle are very competitive on tires for the oilheads, but for some reason Rocky Mountain always has the best price on 1400 rear tire.
2014 California Touring
1994 BMW R1100RS
2001 BMW R1200C

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2021, 08:38:44 PM »
These internet retailers are all drop shippers. There are several warehouses staged around the country and no matter what internet retailer you order from they ship out of these warehouses. Ever wonder why everyone seems to get tires in 2 or 3 days? Its not because a California based company has super fast shippers and can get tires to the east coast in two days. Its because the your order to the California based company gets directed to the warehouse in Kentucky.

On several occasions I've ordered tires and one came the hub in Kentucky and the other form Nevada days apart. I can only assume the the Kentucky warehouse was out out of the one tire and the order got kicked to the next closest stocking warehouse.

https://www.wps-inc.com/
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here