General Category > General Discussion

BMW goes all in with the R18 platform.

<< < (6/7) > >>

Tom H:
I like the overall looks. The fairing is the only issue, it may be better in person. The top half of it looks good, but the way the lower is so up swept throws me off a bit.

Tom

Moparnut72:
I stopped by a dealership a couple of months ago to look at one. I expected a huge bike after seeing pictures of it. It wasn't near as large as I expected. It is comparable to my Audace. I should have parked right next to it. I didn't ride it although they offered but I did sit on it. It felt like it might be more nimble than my bike.
kk

Dave_NWTrophy:
I test rode one back in April:

Hits: good highway aerodynamics - I didn't feel like I was having to fight the wind on the freeway, even without a windshield.  The gearbox shifted very well, it had a nice engine note, and decent basic ergonomics for me.
Misses: Massive engine vibrations above 3000 RPM (think vintage British twin), geared too tall - I felt like I was starting in 2nd.  I have no idea what 6th is for after a 70 MPH freeway run.  Buckboard ride, low cornering clearance, the electronic throttle felt like the grip was connected to the throttle by an elastic band, and the idle shake in Rock mode was really over the top.

What baffles me is there was a ton of engineering time & expense put into developing this engine for what appears to be a very niche product, especially to make such a large twin Euro 5 compliant.  I hope their marketing research was correct and they can at least break even on the R&D.  The R9T series makes a lot more sense to me.

I can't say I would never get one, but I was very happy to ride away on my Cal 1400 at the end.

Dave

JJ:

--- Quote from: Dave_NWTrophy on August 03, 2021, 02:22:38 PM ---I test rode one back in April:

Hits: good highway aerodynamics - I didn't feel like I was having to fight the wind on the freeway, even without a windshield.  The gearbox shifted very well, it had a nice engine note, and decent basic ergonomics for me.
Misses: Massive engine vibrations above 3000 RPM (think vintage British twin), geared too tall - I felt like I was starting in 2nd.  I have no idea what 6th is for after a 70 MPH freeway run.  Buckboard ride, low cornering clearance, the electronic throttle felt like the grip was connected to the throttle by an elastic band, and the idle shake in Rock mode was really over the top.

What baffles me is there was a ton of engineering time & expense put into developing this engine for what appears to be a very niche product, especially to make such a large twin Euro 5 compliant.  I hope their marketing research was correct and they can at least break even on the R&D.  The R9T series makes a lot more sense to me.

I can't say I would never get one, but I was very happy to ride away on my Cal 1400 at the end.

Dave

--- End quote ---

Well...that little TEST RIDE testimonial did not sound too good... :shocked: :shocked: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :huh: :huh:

JJ:
Want a lightweight, nimble, reliable touring bike WITHOUT spending an arm and a leg?  Something like this fits the bill, IMHO.

This one has been ridden, but it appears, it has been very well maintained... :thumb: :cool:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-bmw-r100-6/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version