Author Topic: Interesting Bike Hauling Product  (Read 1876 times)

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
Interesting Bike Hauling Product
« on: September 22, 2021, 01:22:16 PM »
In the interest of full disclosure, I work for this company (B&W Trailer Hitches.) I don't get any benefits for plugging their products, however.

Anyways, since I started out here, I kept hearing mention of one of our products called the Biker Bar. I finally asked my trainer about it, today, and he pulled up this demo video. Pretty interesting and innovative system. Just thought some of you guys might like it.

https://youtu.be/AfBnoxNZt34
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:27:50 PM by JC85 »
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Interesting Bike Hauling Product
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 01:33:48 PM »
very clever! I like it!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 01:42:19 PM »
I'd be worried that the force of attaching the bar to the MC frame could bend the frame.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »
That looks pretty smart! If I had a dedicated trailer....

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 03:10:02 PM »
     Talk about stress riser creation.. May as well make some saw cuts in your frame so it can break off quicker yet. I will have to pass on purchasing that product. Maybe for someone who trades bikes every couple of years,     -Buyer beware.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 03:15:00 PM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 03:18:18 PM »

-AJ

.....or a bike with a frame.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 03:18:34 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Amstaff

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 04:01:15 PM »
Slick presentation, but issues:

1) what constrains fore/aft movement of the bar clamping surfaces on the frame other than friction?
2) Seems not easily adaptable to other than downtube type frames and not easily adaptable for height differences of downtubes.
3) Latch pedal seems precarious. How easy to unlock and not notice while walking around later, say loading additional cargo?

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 04:18:20 PM »
JC, :grin: HOW DARE YOU!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 04:26:23 PM »

1) what constrains fore/aft movement of the bar clamping surfaces on the frame other than friction?
2) Seems not easily adaptable to other than downtube type frames and not easily adaptable for height differences of downtubes.
3) Latch pedal seems precarious. How easy to unlock and not notice while walking around later, say loading additional cargo?

1. Friction is it. That being said, the product has been in use for 5 years, now, with no reports of a bike coming loose on the road.
2. Yes, it's specifically designed for downtube frames. To adjust for different frame heights, one only needs to shim the base.
3. I got to see one in demo, today. The latch is high enough off the ground and requires enough pressure to release that you would notice, if you stepped on it by accident.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 04:28:32 PM »
     Talk about stress riser creation.. May as well make some saw cuts in your frame so it can break off quicker yet. I will have to pass on purchasing that product. Maybe for someone who trades bikes every couple of years,     -Buyer beware.

I think you're overestimating the amount of torque that gets put on the frame tubes, here...
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 04:34:34 PM »

Pretty slick idea. Looks like 4 models available now, all for Harleys.  $380.00

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 04:51:37 PM »
      Pretty slick idea. Looks like 4 models available now, all for Harleys.  $380.00

Paul B :boozing:

Yea, but the impression I got was that they can be adapted to other bikes by shimming/blocking up the base. I'll double check, though.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 04:55:44 PM »
In the interest of full disclosure, I work for this company (B&W Trailer Hitches.) I don't get any benefits for plugging their products, however.

Anyways, since I started out here, I kept hearing mention of one of our products called the Biker Bar. I finally asked my trainer about it, today, and he pulled up this demo video. Pretty interesting and innovative system. Just thought some of you guys might like it.

https://youtu.be/AfBnoxNZt34

I have had one for 3 years.  The only hassle is mounting the bar on the frame of the bike, but it is nice not to have to put any straps on the bike and risk scratching, as well as being about to walk around the bike.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 04:58:17 PM »
Thanks for the link & info.  Personal preference, I'd put the money in the trailer and other accessories like this into another bike instead.   :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 04:58:45 PM »

You could leave the bike in gear, but if that concerns you you could velcro tie the front brake, but I have never had movement, but also have not been in a wreck where I rear ended someone. 

Latch pedal easy to use. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 04:59:39 PM »
I'd be worried that the force of attaching the bar to the MC frame could bend the frame.

If your frame can be bent from the tiny lever arm then you have other problems to worry about. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 05:01:14 PM »

-AJ

The plates under the trailer remain and the unit can be removed from the top with two large bolts.  I only have it in the trailer when I am going to haul the Harley.  I use wheel chocks for my light bikes. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 05:03:04 PM »
Thanks for the link & info.  Personal preference, I'd put the money in the trailer and other accessories like this into another bike instead.   :grin:

Not many opportunities to haul a bike long distance in the middle of the ocean now is there.   :grin:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 05:03:53 PM »
Pitbull has trailer restrain systems that fasten to the axle for bikes with no lower frame rails as in the 1st post.

I'm still oldskool using a wheel chock and a couple of ratchet straps :thumb:
used this when trailering my ducati 916 to the track for a few years...you'll never go back to straps!  load it in literally 1 minute.  it's pricey though

Amstaff

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2021, 05:05:14 PM »
Maybe JC can track down an engineer that may work for the firm and ask him what he thinks about motorcycle carriers hanging off the back by a 2x2 tube.

Not to change the subject, but its an interesting topic how they design analyze these things and what standards and practices are used.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2021, 05:13:08 PM »
You have to watch an ad to see the video which is an ad itself. :thewife:
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 05:15:41 PM »
You have to watch an ad to see the video which is an ad itself. :thewife:

That's YouTube's fault, not the company's lol. Also, there's a difference between an ad and a demo video. :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 05:17:47 PM by JC85 »
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 05:21:59 PM »
Maybe JC can track down an engineer that may work for the firm and ask him what he thinks about motorcycle carriers hanging off the back by a 2x2 tube.

Not to change the subject, but its an interesting topic how they design analyze these things and what standards and practices are used.

All I can say about that subject is that B&W has an entire department dedicated to testing. The department is full of machines that do nothing but beat, yank on, and pound the ever loving sh*t out of our products, all day long, just to see what they will take.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 05:51:09 PM »
I met a guy at a vintage rally that had this on his HD Ultra that he hauled in an enclosed trailer, he has been using it for over three years and loves it, I have to admit it looked very easy to use and very well made. I think its a very good solution and eliminates the tie downs. I suppose one could double up and use a couple tie downs once the bike was secured in place. He demonstrated riding the bike up into the trailer and locking the clamp into position, sure made it look easy.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 06:11:29 PM »
Not many opportunities to haul a bike long distance in the middle of the ocean now is there.   :grin:

Yeah only about 150 miles one way depending on what part of the island could be 200-300 miles RT.   :boozing:  I'd rent a U-Haul trailer and use straps.

We rented a U-Haul Box truck to get back to Phx from Big Spring, TX.  Having a trailer and towing vehicle wouldn't help because we were 2 states east of Phx.   :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Amstaff

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 07:19:42 PM »
All I can say about that subject is that B&W has an entire department dedicated to testing. The department is full of machines that do nothing but beat, yank on, and pound the ever loving sh*t out of our products, all day long, just to see what they will take.
If they do that then it would make sense that they have a paper design that they're load testing. No point in load testing unless they know the loads the item should be able to withstand. Or they could be just verifying what they know empirically from what’s worked before,for a hundred years, and that keeps fear at bay of lawsuits.

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 08:30:41 PM »
If they do that then it would make sense that they have a paper design that they're load testing. No point in load testing unless they know the loads the item should be able to withstand. Or they could be just verifying what they know empirically from what’s worked before,for a hundred years, and that keeps fear at bay of lawsuits.

It's a combination of that, as well as testing to be sure that the materials are up to par. A random sampling of products being produced are selected for this testing. That way, if something fails below the expected specs due to a flaw in the materials, they can easily trace all products made with that same material, and eliminate them from the market, before it becomes a consumer problem.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 09:59:51 PM »
Pretty good idea. Especially if used in conjunction with a wheel chock. I would probably still add a safety strap to reduce any shaking or oscillations, but that's just me being redundant.
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2021, 06:44:54 AM »
Personally for me IF I have to haul a bike the distance it needs to be hauled does not dictate to what degree it is tied down. Going around the block or around the world it would get secured to the same level.

It was in reference to Tom living on a small island, and the fact that because of my physical limitations I have to haul a bike if I want to ride in a different location.

I get your point though.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here