General Category > General Discussion

Grisos, Shorty Clutch Levers, Those Pushrod Adjuster Thingos and Micro Switch...

(1/3) > >>

Tazturtle:
Dear Wild Guzzi Doctor.

On the clutch levers fitted to Grisos, 1200 Sports etc there is the notorious (allegedly "removable") pushrod that operates the hydraulic clutch cylinder.

I have bought a new set of shorty levers for my 1200 Sport, but despite applying lots of WD40, heat and  using a brand new quality 1.5mm allen key, I'll be damned if I can get the grub screw loosened that will allow me to swap the pushrod onto my new levers. I note a lot of people have the same problem, while others breeze through it. Luigi!!!

I know that I can buy a brand new pushrod for the new lever from AF1: http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7756 but the standard one has a small tab that operates a microswitch below the lever, that the new one lacks.

What is this microswitch for? Would it matter if I installed the AF1 pushrod that effectively stops the microswitch being activated?

Yours sincerely

Confused!

guzzisteve:
The micro-switch is part of the IDIOT system, it prevents you from being embarrassingly stupid in front of others.

It is connected to the Stupid Logic Relay along w/neutral, sidestand, and other crap for your own safety.

Tazturtle:
Aah OK. Thanks Steve.

I'll happily bypass it and take my chances then!

The Sport starts without the clutch lever being pulled (unlike the V7) so I assume it's to cut the engine if it is out and in gear with the sidestand down.

hhkiwi:
I may be wrong but I think if the switch is no longer active you won't be able start the engine with a gear engaged. In other words, when you pull the clutch lever, the switch tells the bike's brain that it's OK to start the engine even with a gear engaged, i.e. not in neutral.

The set screw is usually secured with blue Loctite. I managed to get mine out by heating it up with a cigarette lighter. It does need to get really hot for the Loctite to break down.

Tazturtle:
I'll give it another try with an open flame instead of a heat gun then - thanks.

Kurt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version