Author Topic: touring with leather "race" pants anyone?  (Read 12140 times)

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
touring with leather "race" pants anyone?
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »
Being old, of Scottish heritage and tired of working so dam hard I'm considering using a pair of highly discounted leather race pants in the largest size of course as my touring leathers.  I'd take the knee pucks off so that I don't look to much like a Squid.

I like the idea of better armor because at least once a week I deal with really stupid car drivers here in California.

I'd save about $200 by doing so and have CE 2 rated hip, knee, shin armor along with good sliding leather.  Also they would zip to my old man's jacket.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

dilligaf

Re: touring with leather "race" pants anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »
I ride/tour with leathers pants and jack frequently.  I find them very comfortable.  Mine were never intended for racing.  :BEER:
Matt 

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
Interesting - I've been craving below the waist insulation / armor. In my dream it is warm, white, comes on and off with the ease of chaps, and looks like it belongs on an Imperial storm trooper.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:24:27 AM »
I used to ride in my HG racing leather pants, especially in summer, as -- seemingly counter-intuitively -- they seemed to fend off engine heat from my legs better than any textile counterparts and I also thought them more protective.

Advances in textile technology and way better armor has had me thinking -- including some empirical data directly gathered by myself at impact point and road level!  :o --  that those are better than my leathers.

I need to revisit that as I am sure that leathers, too, have better armor these days.

OTOH, maybe I should just stick to textiles, as leathers tend to make me look like a bloated manatee that's been decomposing in the Florida sun for a couple of days.   ;D

Bill

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:24:27 AM »

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:26:55 AM »
I don't race, but I use regularly Joe Rocket leather racing pants while riding. Comfortable and they provide great protection. Wind proof too.
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
I use armored leather top and bottom until it's too hot then switch to armored mesh up and down.

Hit a deer 2 years ago and armored leather minimized injury.

p.s. Don't forget quality boots and gloves. After all, the pavement is jut a stone grinder when you're sliding/bouncing, well,…. you get the idea. :(

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

makarushka

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 11:47:30 AM »
A few years back I had Johnson's leathers in SF make me a pair of their race leather pants with one modification: straight leg to go over a boot, and longer. Very high quality, protective with Forcefield knees and hips, very comfortable, look good. Not too bad to walk in even, although decidedly not a hiking attire.

Depending on how much these Dainese would cost you, Johnson's might be an option to consider, being that you live not too far. At the time they ran me just over $400, which for a true custom fit high-grade leather with a lifetime guarantee I think is not bad.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »
Sounds like a good idea if you ride in a place that never gets hot or rains...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
Love mine. If its really cold, by az standards,  say 35f plus /minus, I run a pair of sweatpants under the leather pants, and a fleece hoody under the jacket. Mild rain no problem,  a drencher I pop my rainsuit on over the whole shebang and I'm good to go all day. I like layer systems.
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

makarushka

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »
Love mine. If its really cold, by az standards,  say 35f plus /minus, I run a pair of sweatpants under the leather pants, and a fleece hoody under the jacket. Mild rain no problem,  a drencher I pop my rainsuit on over the whole shebang and I'm good to go all day. I like layer systems.

:+1 Same here. Leather pants all year round, with overpants in heavy rain and a layer under in the cold. As far as heat in the summer, I again strongly prefer perforated/vented leather to any synthetics, even mesh, especially when off the bike.

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 04:20:47 PM »
I can run the leathers up to about a 95 day, although memories of crossing death valley or the mohave back in the only confirm how oblivious I was to the future mesh/textile
 technology revolution.  Now that I have a choice, I run mesh outfit for our balmy tepid 110 plus summer days, a chilly vest with a spare or two in a cooler full of icewater on the back, and periodic pouring of wawa down the crotch, down the neck, and down the throat. Summer rides are much better now. Plus, no stained body parts fron sweating the holy  bejesus out of the dyes.
If I remember right, we stank to hi heaven on a summer day back in the leathers only era.
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »
I like my leather jacket for everyday wear, but, not on trips or when it gets warm.  To me once I start sweating in them it stinks and can't get it out without a good airing for several days.

On trips I wear textile, mainly mesh with solid over layer when needed.  It doesn't stink when I sweat in it and if needed I can rinse it out and it will dry overnight.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 10:32:22 PM »
I never have the opportunity to travel where it is consistently too warm for leathers... mountain passes I understand.
Held jacket, Held pants, Held gloves and Gaerne boots. Buy once: buy good.
Armour from Held or most other suppliers will fit in the built-in sleeves.

Layers and rainproof overwear pretty well keep me comfortable.

Thought really long about buying a goretex jumpsuit from the Aero..... people but every time I looked at it I kept imagining a Woody Allen character hiding out as a robot.

One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

RogerGuzzi

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
I wear my Frank Thomas two piece most of the year round. I keep the knee pads based on the premise that it is more protection, even though they look a bit goofy IMO. In summer I eschew the leather pants for jeans - it just gets too hot here in NC.

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 02:10:07 AM »
My standard outfit is Dainese leathers (no pucks, but look alot like your pic) and a textile jacket.

In addition to the protection, the amount of support that good leather gives your backside and lower thighs can easily make up for any mediocre seat. They make the Sport 1100 down right comfy even on long jaunts on the highway.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 06:31:07 AM »
I think we've all toured in leather. toured in other things too. So at the end of the season, we can ask you how youlike it!

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »
  The primal factor;  wearing animal hides while riding a machine propelled by fire.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 07:03:56 AM »
  The primal factor;  wearing animal hides while riding a machine propelled by fire.

I quite like that turn of words. Well Done.

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 10:04:40 AM »
What he said!
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 11:31:04 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks makarushka;  I checked out Johnsons but they wanted closer to $500 for a pair of pants so that was getting out of my league.

I hit Motowheels and picked up a set of Dianese SF @ $300 that will fit with my Dianese jacket.  Those pucks were a bear to take off. 

Now I just have to get a rainsuit even though I don't ride in the rain for commutes.

Durn oldmxdog61u for suggesting a pair of summer textile air flow pants to go with my summer textile jacket.  I see the value.  At least those pants are cheaper.

I already had two good pair of armored gloves (summer - winter) and two pair of motorcycle boots (also summer - winter).

Having been a Boy Scout Assistant Scoutmaster and generally the third little pig I take comfort in being prepared.     ;D
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »
I have two pairs of leather paints from Joe Rocket.  One perforated and one solid.

They're great, and I prefer to wear leather pants instead of textile, but will switch to textile in the summer when the heat and humidity become too much for the leather.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 12:05:33 PM »
I have a set of Joe Rocket leathers from about 15 years ago, I love wearing them....in the right conditions. Not good in heat, and not all that good in the cold, and not in the rain. So spring and fall for me.

I wore them while riding in Italy a few years back. You definitely want to look good while riding there, and they passed the test. But carrying them around on the train was backbreaking, they are quite heavy compared to fabric.

2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »
Here's a site in Vancouver that, if ever I get to that city, will take precident over visiting Stanley Park:
http://rerides.ca/  I've seen some seriously great leathers pass through at dirt cheap price.
Its' a 'theme' business so many very top end riding clothes sell for great deals.
Bristol, Frank Thomas, DnR Calgary, ... a host of former top end tailors....

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 10:13:48 AM »

OH yeah, folks'll see THAT one again, somewhere on the Internet.   I'll make sure of it!   (And give credit, IF anyone asks ....  :D )

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 10:55:01 AM »
Thanks, for the Vancouver site, Yukonica.

I was hoping to make a trip to Vancouver this summer.  Also one of the reasons for leather.

The last time I was in Vancouver was when the World's Fair was there.  it wasn't that long ago ... was it
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 11:08:17 AM »
I tour using Vanson leathers, pants and jacket. In cooler weather I use the jacket with the drop down curtains behind perf leather and in warmer temps I use a full perf jacket and if it gets cool I slip on a warm n safe liner underneath the jacket.  The pants are Vansons perf leather. I just don't think there is a substitute for leather for abrasion protection.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »
I tour using Vanson leathers, pants and jacket. In cooler weather I use the jacket with the drop down curtains behind perf leather and in warmer temps I use a full perf jacket and if it gets cool I slip on a warm n safe liner underneath the jacket.  The pants are Vansons perf leather. I just don't think there is a substitute for leather for abrasion protection.

So if you're taking off on a week-long trip (for example), do you actually take two sets of leathers (one perforated and one not), or do you use just the perforated leathers with a liner if it gets cold?

On our trip to Nova Scotia, we took our non-mesh textile outfits.   It got into the 50s up on Cape Breton Island so we were glad for the insulation, but coming home down through Virginia it was 95 degrees and we like to have melted, we were pouring water all down in our clothes every stop ..... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »
Most of the time I ride to track days rather than trailer. My "race" leathers are pretty comfortable even into the '80s on an unfared bike. If didn't have riding pants though I would opt for textile. Much easier to get on and off with the full length leg zippers and way more versatile being waterproof and good for a wide range of temps.

Pete

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »
So if you're taking off on a week-long trip (for example), do you actually take two sets of leathers (one perforated and one not), or do you use just the perforated leathers with a liner if it gets cold?

On our trip to Nova Scotia, we took our non-mesh textile outfits.   It got into the 50s up on Cape Breton Island so we were glad for the insulation, but coming home down through Virginia it was 95 degrees and we like to have melted, we were pouring water all down in our clothes every stop ..... ?

Lannis

Preparing for all the possible temperature/weather changes is a tough one.  I have mesh textile, perf leather, solid leather and none are perfect.  On our rides west to The Rockies, it can be in the 90s in Oklahoma, and 50 degrees cooler once in the mountains of Northern New Mexico.  There will always be a lack of comfort at one extreme or the other.  I usually pick a median for gear and expect some discomfort at both ends of the temperature range.

As I age, humidity along with higher temperatures has really come to bother me.  I haven't found anything that works for temps in the 90s.  My mesh textile gear is uncomfortable in June/July when riding in the east and southeast. 

As for riding west, I usually start early in the day in order to knock out most of Oklahoma or Kansas by noontime.  I generally use my full leather and will have layers underneath.  As it warms, I may remove layers at fuel stops as it warms, then add them back throughout the day at fuel stops as it cools.  If it's really cool, I'll put my rain gear on over my leather, which really helps block out the cold air.

I've been thinking of trying an Olympia Odyssey one-piece textile suit this year in order to cut down on bulk and layers when riding in big temperature changes.  We'll see.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
I have two pairs of leather paints from Joe Rocket.  One perforated and one solid.

They're great, and I prefer to wear leather pants instead of textile, but will switch to textile in the summer when the heat and humidity become too much for the leather.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here