Author Topic: Who owns a Stornello? How do you like it?  (Read 8919 times)

Offline NextGriso

• Hatchling
Who owns a Stornello? How do you like it?
« on: October 02, 2017, 07:04:55 AM »
Title says it all.  I ride a fair bit of gravel and really like the looks of the Stornello.  I'm curious about living with the high pipe and the fit and finish in general. 

Thanks,
B

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Who owns a Stornello? How do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 08:31:55 AM »
There are a couple of guys here that have one and love it. Haven't seen a post from either for a while, but I think you'd be fine with it.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
There are a couple of guys here that have one and love it. Haven't seen a post from either for a while, but I think you'd be fine with it.

People not posting about their Guzzi *could* mean they have just been busy riding them!  :grin:

They look like fantastic bikes, and a better value then most with the quality of finish.

My only gripe would be the limitations the exhaust places on luggage, but that exhaust looks great so...

Offline ARGuz

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »
I'm one of the guys that owns a Stornello.  I love it.  Love the way it rides, handles, and the ergo's.  It truly is a blast to ride.  Demo'd some Suzuki's last week at the Bikes, Blues, and Barbecue rally in Fayetteville AR and couldn't wait to get back on the Guzzi.  Also, had numerous people talk to me about it and just loved it.  Guys would spend 5 minutes just going around it looking at the detail.  Is the most fun bike I have had since my Honda CL100 Scrambler when I was a kid. 
Arkansas
2016 Stornello
1966 Stornello
1971 Honda CL100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »

Offline BoatDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
I have one that I've put about 5K on. Love it! It is my 6th bike and the best of the bunch. Sure footed, spirited considering the hp, has worked as a weekend tourer and I have no plans to replace it.
OK, having said that, here are the changes and gripes.
I burned my riding gear on the exhaust and had to add a heat shield on the riding pants. I burned another hole and put pipe wrap up to the cat. Solved the problem but now the muffler is hotter!
Added the MG windshield. Quite good.
Added the MG large luggage rack. Excellent.
Added the HB centerstand and replaced the US sidestand with the Euro model. Both work great but the centerstand foot lever sticks out quite far as it was designed to go under an exhaust pipe. I plan to shorten the foot lever about three inches.
Added the MG side racks. Had to make a standoff for the right side from some McMaster-Carr parts. Works fine with throw over Wolfman saddlebags.
Added 2 inch Rox Risers to make standing more comfortable off pavement. Works fine for me but another found he did not have enough brake cable slack.
Added Bark Buster Storm handquards. Works fine using longer bolts and some washers as spacers.
Added PivotPegz. They custom made them for me at the normal price.
I use an Airhawk for rides over two hours.
I replaced the OEM rear shocks with Race Tech and added the hybrid fork kit from GuzziTech. Both dramatically improved comfort. After setting the preload I ended up dialing the damping all the way off. No wallowing in turns, even when pushing it. Not like the comfort of my old 12GS with Ohlins, but very good for half the price (both the bike and the aftermarket shocks).
One journalist commented that the tires were awful but I've ridden them hard on both street and dirt and they are fine and I think have at least another couple thousand on them. Given their cost however I probably will either get the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 or Shinko 705 for the next set.
It is lean when cold starting and stumbles until fully warm but then seems quite smooth.
It is a distinctive bike that gets a lot of favorable comments!

Offline bmp72

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 07:22:02 AM »
This weekend at the local dealers while drooling over a V9 I had a good look at the Stornello. It was parked next to a Stone and I didn't really see any difference except for the exhaust. It does not seem to have different suspension, it sits at the same height. I have a WR250X and thought the Stornello would be much more like that bike, but I did not see any differences with the other v7's...

Offline BoatDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »
I think I read a MG marketing blurb that said the Stornello had something like 40 parts different from the Stone/Special, but you are correct that of the key things that govern how the bike handles, all three are similar (the Racer has a different suspension). Some of the Stone/Special parts were reshaped and made of aluminum rather than painted steel. Additional guards were added. The pegs are different. The most obvious differences in styling are the replacement of the rear fender with a tubular structure and the polished aluminum front fender. Compared to the Stone the Stornello has spoked wheels.

When ordering the Race Tech shocks Todd suggested I add 20 mm throw, which I did. I would like more, plus additional front suspension throw when I'm off pavement, but that would require major rework of both the forks and the centerstand.

The bottom line however is that the bike is a restyled street bike and can be tweaked to be better off pavement. It is not an enduro bike and is at the street end of the original "scrambler" definition (which were modified street bikes). Is it an "Adventure Bike"? Sure! Is it as capable as a 12GS off pavement? Nope, except for the lighter weight to pick up! But, it is not required to have an "Adventure Bike" to have an adventure or to even ride off pavement. I believe the current record holders of the most countries visited by a single motorcycle, which means lots of poor roads, is a Harley Road King!

I did take the Stornello on a single track that I used to ride the 12GS on a lot. The Stornello was easier to place, but not as comfortable. Compared to a KTM450 I rode, both were terrible off pavement and far superior on it. YMMV!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »
Depending on who you read, the Stornello, Triumph Scrambler, Ducati Scrambler are street bikes with the look of off-road styling.  Any bike can be ridden on dirt roads with the right rider.  How fast you want to ride dirt roads is another matter. 

I like the look of the Stornello and Moto Guzzi had a $2000 rebate last month on them which tempted me, but I was offered squat on my trade in.  I just checked and they are still offering $2000 so I guess the Stornellos aren't selling.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline bmp72

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 01:31:40 AM »
Same here, many discounts to be had. Dealers seem to be cleaning house (3k discount on v9's here). I wonder what is going on... I mean if you look at the Italian Guzzi line up (motoguzzi.it) it is V7, V9 and 'V14'... there seems to be a big hole around the 1100cc / 70hp mark, who knows maybe it'll get filled at the EICMA.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:33:44 AM by bmp72 »

Offline adventurelounger

• New Egg
  • Two Wheels Good
    • Longitude & Gratitude (my personal motoblog)
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »

Another Storny owner here. 2600 miles and loving every bit of it. Here she is with my stable of 3, along with my long-distance Super Tenere and a vintage '74 BMW R75/6.

The Stornello is by far my favorite everyday bike of the 3. Just an incredibly fun knock-around bike or commuter. But I've also done some 50-100 mile day trips on her, and a longer on/off-road weekend in Vermont. On dirt and gravel roads, she kept up with the Tenere just fine.

Fit, finish and performance has been impeccable.

Only niggle, noted by others, is that she runs lean until warmed up...so you really need 2 minutes for her to warm up.

Not much in the way of mods, but I put on an OEM side luggage rack and carry a single MoskoMoto 25L soft pannier, here:

I'd like to add a rear luggage rack but still can't figure out if one will fit with the OEM pannier rack already mounted.

Other than that, a joy machine.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:29:48 PM by adventurelounger »
2023 Moto Guzzi V85 Guardia d’Onore
2022 Triumph T120 Gold Line
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stornello

Offline BoatDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »
I've got both the large OEM rack and the OEM side racks and they work fine together.

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »
You all with the cold blooded Stornellos probably have the "V95' Map installed, insist on your dealer installing the V96 map and problem solved

Offline helipic

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 01:37:21 AM »
Just got mine from Eurocycle Las Vegas for $6500 brand new, with docs and fees $8000 out the door.  They still have two available according to Todd at their sales department.

Offline OlofE

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 11:33:40 AM »

A gem! I've had many bikes but the Stornello (#700/1000) feels special. No rational reason, it's all emotion. A bit unpexected, I'm normally on sportsbikes and café racers. But this one I had to have. Relaxed and soulful, with Italian flair and a gentle nod to Guzzi history. Makes me forgive all shortcomings. Having said that It's been flawless. This summer I've had lots of fun on forest roads too, new experience to me. Best mods: Beetle map (brilliant, transforms the bike), Bitubo rear shocks and a rack.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:44:14 AM by OlofE »

Offline BalancePoint

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 06:57:08 AM »

Another Storny owner here. 2600 miles and loving every bit of it. Here she is with my stable of 3, along with my long-distance Super Tenere and a vintage '74 BMW R75/6.

The Stornello is by far my favorite everyday bike of the 3. Just an incredibly fun knock-around bike or commuter. But I've also done some 50-100 mile day trips on her, and a longer on/off-road weekend in Vermont. On dirt and gravel roads, she kept up with the Tenere just fine.

Fit, finish and performance has been impeccable.

Only niggle, noted by others, is that she runs lean until warmed up...so you really need 2 minutes for her to warm up.

Not much in the way of mods, but I put on an OEM side luggage rack and carry a single MoskoMoto 25L soft pannier, here:

I'd like to add a rear luggage rack but still can't figure out if one will fit with the OEM pannier rack already mounted.

Other than that, a joy machine.

The photo of the three bikes together made me smile. I need to get a pic my 73 R75/5, my Stornello, and my Super Tenere together as well!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 07:15:51 AM »
Reminds me of a setup I saw on a Stelvio recently...(for a short while)

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »
YES YES YES!!!

Now if I could only get my son to share it with me more..... :~)
Seriously, a great bike except for noted about cold start, gonna check out the 96 map and exhaust likes to roast cuff of riding pants! But the exhaust looks and sounds great so......

Train up the next gen on MG!

RideOn!
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »
Reminds me of a setup I saw on a Stelvio recently...(for a short while)

Naughty Huzo, naughty[emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 04:09:52 PM »
I have one...

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:11:44 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 08:19:37 PM »
Hi-pipe is fine, adds character to a pretty bike :grin:
It does limit what you can carry, but a 25lt Mosko Moto Scout Bag fits fine on one side. You however have to buy TWO bags from Mosko... If anyone needs, I have extra bag for sale, PM me.
I topped it off with Wolfman bags, which were strapped on top of the seat.

Me and my brother just finished a 4500 mile (Los Angeles to East coast) road trip in 15 days, not a single issue with my 600 mile Stornello. Well.... I guess its over 5K mile Stornello now.
Hundreds of miles of gravel in California and Utah. Fully loaded with camping gear, it looooooves to hum at 75MPH on highway and is home on gravel roads. Suspension sucks, but thats another story....

Here's a picture of the Storny at 118F heat in Ballarat, Death Valley.

I modified the "Hobo" somewhat:

MG crashbars, fitted with highway pegs.
Heidenau Scout tires
Adv Moster LED lights
Harley windscreen
Acerbis Brushguards
Clear 3M protector on tank
2" handlebar raisers
Pivotpegs

All I can say..... GO GET ONE!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:27:54 PM by Green1000S »
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 09:36:40 PM »
Just got mine from Eurocycle Las Vegas for $6500 brand new, with docs and fees $8000 out the door.  They still have two available according to Todd at their sales department.

So then you paid CA tax & registration in addition to that $8000?  I spoke with them and seemed their add-on fees were crazy.  The $6500 somehow quickly went to $8495, with additional $250 shipping to get it to Sonoma, and CA tax & registration on top of all that ... so around $9600 total price.  So a $6500 moto went to $9600.  So I passed on that.
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 09:40:11 PM »
So you guys with the long warm up times ... have you tried a Beetle map? 

When I was looking at getting one, I found an after marked pipe (just a short section) that gets rid of the Cat ... figured that and an updated map would make it run better & cooler. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:41:12 PM by usedtobefast »
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Shiftonthefly

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 09:43:07 PM »
I've got one. I love it. I will say for me it's not really good off road. You can ride dirt roads all day long with most bikes. I took it over one mountain pass here doing some pretty technical riding. The suspension is not set up for that sort of thing.

I'm going the opposite way with mine. Much to the distain of the owners here. I'm taking mine more into the relm of a cafe racer. I don't think it's good enough off road to continue the farce of the off road equipment. I love the color combo and stainless trim bits. So I don't regret my choice at all. The red frame is my favorite.

Mines getting Clubman bars, a solo seat, a tail tidy  smaller signals, and I'll probably wind up lowering the bike a bit. Most here think it's blasphemy. I recommend it. Big time.

Offline Warren Rhen

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 12:52:00 AM »
I own one and love it 10k+ miles now. No issues, Pipe is also a none issue. I've owned over 100 bikes and it is one of my top three all time favorites. Of course I don't need a lot of HP anymore to impress me, just nibble handling
Cheers,
Warren
16 Piaggio BV 350
86 Citroen 2CV6 Dolly
18 Dodge Charger R/T

Offline Shiftonthefly

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 09:54:09 AM »
So then you paid CA tax & registration in addition to that $8000?  I spoke with them and seemed their add-on fees were crazy.  The $6500 somehow quickly went to $8495, with additional $250 shipping to get it to Sonoma, and CA tax & registration on top of all that ... so around $9600 total price.  So a $6500 moto went to $9600.  So I passed on that.

That's where I got mine. They tried that with me. They took the liberty of adding a warranty and gap insurance with out asking me. Nope. Just those two were like $1200. My credit union offered the exact gap insurance for a third of the price. In the end they are a dealership. Dealerships are always money hungry. Gotta watch em like hawks.

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 07:03:45 PM »
That's where I got mine. They tried that with me. They took the liberty of adding a warranty and gap insurance with out asking me. Nope. Just those two were like $1200. My credit union offered the exact gap insurance for a third of the price. In the end they are a dealership. Dealerships are always money hungry. Gotta watch em like hawks.
'

Got mine from Extrememotorsports in Accident, MD. $6995 and $100 fee for paperwork.
Tax and registration you cannot avoid.
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 09:05:10 PM »
'

Got mine from Extrememotorsports in Accident, MD. $6995 and $100 fee for paperwork.
Tax and registration you cannot avoid.

Ď was tempted by that deal, but couldn't make the drive at that time.  Congress.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Phoneyflounder

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »

I got my bike at Eurocycle as well. $4995 for a 16’ Stone. Felt like too good a deal to pass up. The slick weasels found a way to toss on $1500 in fees, of course. I made them include about $500 dollars in gear to make the deal more palatable, but it, along with their inability to professionally return a call, left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sadly, I’d probably still buy from them again, because at the end of the day the end price is the bottom line and theirs still seems more than fair... but I’d hold my nose while doing it.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
I really really really really really like the Stornello...had a test ride and felt great...granted, I mean it is basically another version of V7 from my stone...I also did thought about convert a lot of stone to stornello...just the cost wasn't making sense with all the changes lol...

Honestly I WAS going to trade my stone in for a Stornello until I heard about the V85...

I will see how that pans out...if V85 isn't what I would lead to believe, I can see a stornello in my garage...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Warren Rhen

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 05:25:10 PM »
Hi-pipe is fine, adds character to a pretty bike :grin:
It does limit what you can carry, but a 25lt Mosko Moto Scout Bag fits fine on one side. You however have to buy TWO bags from Mosko... If anyone needs, I have extra bag for sale, PM me.
I topped it off with Wolfman bags, which were strapped on top of the seat.

I've always been curious about that long bag on the one side. Doesn't it make the bike feel unbalanced?
Cheers,
Warren
16 Piaggio BV 350
86 Citroen 2CV6 Dolly
18 Dodge Charger R/T

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here