Author Topic: Needed a new battery for my MC clock  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Needed a new battery for my MC clock
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:51:16 PM »
A few weeks ago here I asked others here how to take the back plate off my X MC handlebar clock, but gave up trying to find those former responses here before posting this way.   So now I'm going to tell y'all the rest of the story.  I ordered  from Amazon a tool ($5) like Walmart watch employees use to open up a customers watch to get to their battery when they need a new battery like me.  Looking at the back plate of my small clock I thought it had a screw on base  because it had places on it that I thought were for attaching a tool to attach to.  So I went to my local WM store and saw the tool they use for that and it arrived today via mail.  :smiley:  I went to use it and found I couldn't attach it to my clock back as I assumed and figured I was screwed.  So then I took Harper's small pocket knife set I won from a Guzzi rally a few years ago and tried prying off the back plate.  BINGO, it came right off!  :huh:  I didn't expect this at all but I was desperate.  So now I'm going to take the old battery to my $ stores and see if I can find the same new small battery to get my watch to work again.  If I strike out there I'll go to my WM store and get 2 as I have a 2nd clock just llke this 1 for another bike.   Hey, I ride Guzzis, therefore I'm thrifty.  :laugh:   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:50:00 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Needed a new battery for my MC clock
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:54:21 PM »
Does the battery have a number on it?
1990 MilleGT

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:25:17 PM »
Does the battery have a number on it?

The battery is so small I can't read any.

Moto

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 06:20:30 AM »
Wayne, thanks for posting.
I used a cheap watch opening knife from American Science & Surplus. I rapped it with a hammer and the back popped off. The little quarter inch diameter battery is marked BAMIN CELL 377. It's under the little white plastic tab in the photo. That plastic cage pulls out in one piece.

We're talking about that small motorcycle clock that I posted about a couple of years ago.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 06:20:30 AM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »
Hey Wayne, if the appropriate battery doesn't work try cleaning the board with some contact cleaner like Deoxit. It worked great on an old keyless entry fob for my 2000 Suburban...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Jurgen

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »
Wayne,
If you can't see the numbers on the battery, measure the battery diameter and thickness (in millimeters) then go to google and look under watch battery sizes and match the numbers to the battery number.  Walmart will probably have the proper battery.

All these small watch batteries are 1.5V.  I've even measured the holder in the watch (or calculator) and found a battery to match.  Works all the time.  Jurgen
Jurgen

Moto

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »
Wayne,
If you can't see the numbers on the battery, measure the battery diameter and thickness (in millimeters) then go to google and look under watch battery sizes and match the numbers to the battery number.  Walmart will probably have the proper battery.

All these small watch batteries are 1.5V.  I've even measured the holder in the watch (or calculator) and found a battery to match.  Works all the time.  Jurgen

It's a type 377 (see above).

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 04:51:20 PM »
It's a type 377 (see above).

I took another look at it w/o my glasses(nearsighted) and yes, it's a 377 battery.  My meter says it's only putting out 1 volt right now instead of at least 1.5 v. when new.

I went to my local Dollar Tree store and bought a package of 4- 377 alkaline batteries for 99 cents.  :bow:   The same 1 battery costs $5.98 @ Walmart.  :boxing:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:04:46 PM by Arizona Wayne »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here