Author Topic: Deer Strike Probability by state  (Read 2561 times)

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
Deer Strike Probability by state
« on: September 20, 2019, 08:37:19 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Deer Strike Probability by state
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
We need more people to start adding venison to their diets. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 09:41:51 AM »
Unfortunately, it's one of those things that you can do only so much to mitigate.   Slowing down at night, or staying off the back roads at night, and scanning the roadsides helps, but they will flank you and come at you from the side and get you.   

All three of the bad deer hits on my wife's car were from the side; two of them in my DRIVEWAY.    Several close calls on the bike as the deer cannonballed in from the brush, crossed my bow,  and gone before I could even hit the brakes ...

I get about two of them into the freezer each year during the season, but that's all that will fit in the freezer ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
Unfortunately, it's one of those things that you can do only so much to mitigate.   Slowing down at night, or staying off the back roads at night, and scanning the roadsides helps, but they will flank you and come at you from the side and get you.   

All three of the bad deer hits on my wife's car were from the side; two of them in my DRIVEWAY.    Several close calls on the bike as the deer cannonballed in from the brush, crossed my bow,  and gone before I could even hit the brakes ...

I get about two of them into the freezer each year during the season, but that's all that will fit in the freezer ...

Lannis

Just the other day I had one enter my periphery at 3:30 in the afternoon that my brain first thought was a large dog.  When I realized it was a deer and where it was I couldn't calculate quick enough whether I could pass in front of it or not.  Since reduced speed reduces impact damage I decided to slam on the brakes and it made a last second veer itself so we both got out unscathed but with adrenaline pumping. 

It would be nice if food banks woud take and distribute venison. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 10:42:28 AM »
I was about a quarter mile behind a pickup on Wednesday when he took out a doe just north of Huntsville, TX.  Quite the mess.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »
 Want less deer? Just removing hunting restrictions...By 1920 there were literally no deer in this area, hunted to near extinction.... so hunting was restricted..
  I let a few guys hunt on our land if they give us a few pounds of any kills...Some we eat but it's our old male mostly outside cat that just loves raw vension..He will not eat store bought meat, cooked or raw...

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 11:02:59 AM »
Harumpf? I've not hit a deer - - yet. But I can vouch for a bigger surprise?
Full grown bull moose. Pre seat-belts. Barely slowed him. Mid July. LaGrange, Maine. 3am. Swamp landing was almost delicate. 4 guys with hand lights, boots and shot guns could not find him over an hours search.
I thought they were being merciful. They 'needed' the meat.  R3~   

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »
In NY, the DEC says you can not bait for deer, you can not use salt blocks, but you can place "natural mineral blocks." However, those have to be removed no less than 30 days before the start of hunting season lest they be used to attract deer to your hunting spot. 

However, as soon as the snow flies, the NYDOT starts flinging salt all over the roads....
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 12:01:53 PM »

It would be nice if food banks would take and distribute venison.

WAY ahead of you there ...

https://www.feedingtexas.org/solutions/hunters-for-the-hungry/

There are chapters everywhere ...

Lannis

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 12:09:23 PM »
WAY ahead of you there ...

https://www.feedingtexas.org/solutions/hunters-for-the-hungry/

There are chapters everywhere ...

Lannis

Awesome!  If you donate it should not count against your limit. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 12:24:13 PM »
Counted 18 deer from Willard, mo to my house Monday evening. Maybe 6 miles?? One herd with 9 deer that had 3 bucks with pretty good racks. Had a dude hit a doe in front of my house last fall, she dropped dead in my driveway. And Missouri didn’t make the cut?  Hard to believe
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
Awesome!  If you donate it should not count against your limit.

I haven't checked this year (I hunt on family land and so don't need a license in Virginia) but if you take out tags for archery, muzzle-loading, gun season, and does, each hunter can take 16 deer on his license.

And some do.   I've seen pickup trucks loaded to the top of the body with field-dressed carcasses on the way to being cut up.

And the deer just keep on coming.

Lannis

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »
In CT if you get and use all of the deer permits available, you can harvest 22 deer a year. A crop damage permit, for folks who get permission to hunt apple orchard properties, is 6 deer a year any time of the year. I used to take a couple a year from the forest behind the house, nowadays no one but me wants to eat it. It is possible to donate your venison to the local soup kitchen, lots o' work just to give the meat away. Shootin' 'em is the easy part...
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 02:20:18 PM »
I shoot them with my trail cam

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 02:40:34 PM »
This validates what I thought:  The deer count in Pennsylvania is #3 nationwide, after WV and Montana. They are everywhere, even readily visible many places during the day, prolific at dusk, night and early morning.

Out of simple self-preservation, therefore, for me riding dusk to mid morning is out of the question.  On back roads during the daylight hours, alertness and caution is required.  The bucks are especially crazy and unpredictable during rutting season.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 04:09:20 PM »
Out in my neck of the woods you get to choose white tail or mule deer, pronghorn antelope or moose, and that is just the deer family, add in all the other critters that crawl walk or fly, I do not ride early in the morning or near night fall or at night anymore, prefer to wreck something with four wheels......   DonG

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »
I've seen deer out in the open at dawn, dusk, noon, afternoon, and way after midnight.

When do the damn things sleep?    :grin:

Do they have 3 shifts?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:13:01 PM by nc43bsa »
1990 MilleGT

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »
They only sleep after procreating!
Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 05:22:16 PM »
Had three does sleeping in  amongst the 3 pines in my back yard a while back: 10am to 4:30 then I guess they heard a dinner time bell. :grin:

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »
In PA you can donate your deer to the local food bank. We have plenty to go around !!!
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 07:54:04 PM »
Thanks,

I was wondering why the Deer Hunting is so bad in California.

I know the Deer strikes are low in Nevada because all the Californian's hunt there so the population is controlled.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

jwinwi

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2019, 07:55:51 PM »
'Tis the season so let's be extra careful out there! :bike-037:

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 11:49:25 PM »
I hit 2 in 8 days a few years ago. Blind sided by both, middle of the afternoon. The 2nd one was bad. Here in SE Iowa, I wouldn't care if they were damn near extinct.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Penderic

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 01:00:01 AM »
I live in a deer zone - they are every where, fairly tame and mostly used to cars. Just passed a bunch munching by the side of the road. Musta been 6 or 7 of them. All young and medium size. A few on the island get bigger but a couple of male Elk were seen and photographed next farm over from us - they are BIG! Few fences around here could stop those beasts. A day or two later they were gone ... probably looking for girl Elk and passing by ... they are excellent swimmers. During the mating season the adults get crazy, (the deer that is, not the islanders!), and forget about the cars and become hazardous. New born deer are always unpredictable - assume the worst!

Its safer driving the tractor! :grin:

Couple of years ago a deer jumped out in front of me after I turned into my driveway/ lane. Walking speed and I hit the Brakes and front wheel locked on the gravel and over she went. Deer long gone. Left me on my side with a bit of road rash on my Craven Saddlebags and the left cheek on my Guzzi's Bikini fairing.  :angry:

Almost done repainting the saddlebags. Riding season for me is about over ... time to winterize!

Horses, cows, goats! Watch out for livestock.

A few years ago: Tent caterpillars! Hundreds of thousands of them, swarming and moving together like a living river, turned the roads here on Pener Island, green and slippery in the areas where they crossed. Amazing amount of insects that couldn't be stopped- climbed over everything in their way - I think I got some pics of them climbing up a few garden statues - look like chia pets ... yuck.

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
There are a few deer around my place, but there is a large herd of elk that I fear more. They will string out 35 strong, and the stragglers will run into the road long after  the main herd is gone. If you see them cross in front of you, give a 10 count before you assume they have all crossed.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2019, 02:47:56 PM »
Are the figures supposed to represent the likely of hitting a deer e.g. 1 in 48 (WV) IN A LIFETIME, or what?
Figures are conclusions from a study over 12 months. They can't represent a driver's likelihood of hitting a deer in the course of a year, can they?
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2019, 03:05:10 PM »
Are the figures supposed to represent the likely of hitting a deer e.g. 1 in 48 (WV) IN A LIFETIME, or what?
Figures are conclusions from a study over 12 months. They can't represent a driver's likelihood of hitting a deer in the course of a year, can they?

Yes, it is.   Not hard for me to believe that one out of every 99 drivers in Virginia (my home state) will hit a deer in the year 2018.

They basically get the figures from comprehensive insurance claims in each state over the course of a year.  Virginia, for example, has 6 million drivers, and there were about 60,000 deer strikes last year in the state.

Fay, for example, has been driving for 48 years and has hit (or had them hit her) 3 deer.   That's one deer every 16 years.   I know people with a LOT more ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 03:07:30 PM by Lannis »

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2019, 03:26:41 PM »
Words fail me.
I do feel sorry for you, riding with that sort of risk!
We do have quite a few deer, and more notably moose fatalities in Scandinavia, too, but nothing like that. I think.  :huh:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
Words fail me.
I do feel sorry for you, riding with that sort of risk!
We do have quite a few deer, and more notably moose fatalities in Scandinavia, too, but nothing like that. I think.  :huh:

We feel sorry for ourselves, sometimes.   In terms of "unforced errors" that can kill you on a bike (NOT things like riding too fast for conditions, riding drunk, etc), the deer problem here is probably second to text/alcohol/drug impaired drivers as the thing that will kill a careful rider ...

The population has just exploded.  When I was a boy, it was rare to see a deer, and the hunt clubs had very strict rules about shooting does.   Now, going by the individual deer on my trail cameras, I estimate that there are 25 deer just on my farm; I see them every night .... and we shoot does whenever we can.   They're small, but the meat is pretty good.

Just doing some "Close Enough" statistics for the country of Norway, you have about 3,000,000 licensed drivers, and about 9,000 deer, moose, etc are killed on the roads each year.    So that's 9 out of every 3000 drivers, or one out of 334 .....

Lannis

Lannis
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:01:45 PM by Lannis »

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »
ummm, yes, I like some good deer meat! Reindeer in particular is very good.
Moose are the big scare around here. They're king of the forest and don't heed or fear anything, just saunter into the road and aren't bothered by approaching cars. A big one weighing up towards a ton, a collision could flatten a car.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here