Author Topic: I HAVE COMPLAINTS!  (Read 21711 times)

stomatomoto

I HAVE COMPLAINTS!
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
 :thewife: First of all, let's kick this off with the following: why didn't THIS HAPPEN?! Granted, that thing is a bit rough around the edges, but it's a concept so it gets that pass. However, it is basically an awesome-r version of an Aprilia Dorsoduro--what the hell Guzzi?! I'd buy that in a heartbeat, especially if the look got cleaned up somewhat!

Nextly, I want a new bike. I'm actually selling the V7. Not that I don't like it, it's just there's....problems, with this brand and with owning one of these specific types of Italians. The V7 is lovely and always turns heads, but also, as I've evolved as a rider, I've quickly realized this thing does not do it all for me. Looks aren't everything! Anyway, the point of that is, I'm looking at an adventure touring type bike, and the one at the top of the list is the BMW F 800GS. Why? Because it's not so damn esoteric that I can't get parts or aftermarket items for it in a reasonable amount of time, for a reasonable cost, and with a reasonable variety of options. AF1 Racing has a monopoly on my accessory purchases basically, so far! I've been waiting over 1.5 weeks for a luggage rack to even be ready to ship to me! It's just welded tubular steel and some hardware, for $280 and a fortnight to ship, for f*$%s sake!

Now, some of you will be all "well no shit junior, can ya count the number of Guzzi's you seen on the road with one hand or two? heh heh heh" and then spit a hearty wad into an old-timey spittoon with a cartoonish *p-too*, and let's just skip to the part where I acknowledge that this is a rare bird that most people expect to DIY a majority of stuff. Even accounting for that, I feel like it just doesn't have to be this way. I feel like this marque lacks direction and a sense of ambition in design that I'm seeing in other manufacturers. It's frustrating, because the uniqueness and overall design essence and history of this brand is so substantial, it seems like wasted capital to keep producing the same tired old things over and over ad nauseam for the handful of people that like that. I'm not going to ask if I'm wrong, because I ain't! There is both piss and vinegar in this tank, and I want to see more from Guzzi, for real. Dollar vote, out. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:35:06 PM by stomatomoto »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I HAVE COMPLAINTS!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »
I am tired of buying jeans, $40 Levis, $20 Sams/Walmart, that pull the belt loops out after a couple of washes and wears.

WTF?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

stomatomoto

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 07:43:08 PM »
I am tired of buying jeans, $40 Levis, $20 Sams/Walmart, that pull the belt loops out after a couple of washes and wears.

WTF?

I'm no engineer, but there might be too much strain on those belt loops...  :gotpics:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 07:44:45 PM »
OK .....  you have a point but still...........
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 07:44:45 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
OOOO!  I got one!

Camera filters are measured in "stops" of light where one stop = .5 light transmission.  You can't get to zero, although you can find a point of a curve that approaches zero.
Window tint -- also essentially an optical filter -- is measured as a percent of transparent.  It's a straight line, not a curve.  So zero (complete opacity) is possible.

I want a sheet of window tint the same a a 3-stop filter.  I don't know what to spec.

stomatomoto

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 07:54:37 PM »
OOOO!  I got one!

Camera filters are measured in "stops" of light where one stop = .5 light transmission.  You can't get to zero, although you can find a point of a curve that approaches zero.
Window tint -- also essentially an optical filter -- is measured as a percent of transparent.  It's a straight line, not a curve.  So zero (complete opacity) is possible.

I want a sheet of window tint the same a a 3-stop filter.  I don't know what to spec.

Isn't there an engineering joke about how everyone wants to come up with a new standardization to simplify and consolidate all the disparate standards, and all we end up with is more standards? I don't know how to Google for that with only that description. :/

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
My 13th motorcycle and my 7th Guzzi is the 2014 V7 Special that I bought in August. It's my second V7. Two spines and two small blocks. I find that interesting.

The V7 appeals to me on the same level as a vintage Triumph Bonneville. I get my vintage elemental fix with a modern reliable machine.

:bike-037:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

stomatomoto

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:06:15 PM »
My 13th motorcycle and my 7th Guzzi is the 2014 V7 Special that I bought in August. It's my second V7. Two spines and two small blocks. I find that interesting.

The V7 appeals to me on the same level as a vintage Triumph Bonneville. I get my vintage elemental fix with a modern reliable machine.

:bike-037:

Both are great bikes for sure, but as a daily rider/commuter and long-distance ride, it's been falling a bit short for me. If I could have two bikes, I'd keep it and get something else as a daily rider. On group rides as well, the performance in several dimensions just isn't there, most importantly in stopping power and cornering/handling. Test riding an Aprilia Shiver really underscored this for me. I would totally be in the market for a Griso that puts out 80+ horses from a small block-sized engine and with modern features like ABS and electronics, basically.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 08:28:33 PM »
Stom, couple of random thoughts.

1. - most important thought. Follow your bliss. Bikes are about passion, NOT LOGIC. Pursue em with logic and either you'll always find you were wrong, or you'll find you're really boring. But it's a journey we each have to take for ourselves.

2. I took the journey over the past few decades and I've been lucky to dabble in a ton of bikes (press, demo, loaners) that I didn't have to buy. You see, after riding the top dogs, and owning better performers, I still turn to the most simple and slowest bike in my fleet (and in the last year sold the fastest).  Your journey just might lead you back here, but it may not.

3. Don't use Aprilia as an example if you're going to complain about lack of variety/support/quickness of parts and accessories.

4. BMW is often the exact opposite of Guzzi, design and complexity for the sake of itself as opposed to the beauty of simplicity in design.

Don't get me wrong, I CAN enjoy both. I'm equally attracted to say the WRX STI and the Jeep Wrangler... Guess which one I just ordered from the factory?

Anyway, best of luck with your journey, have fun and most of all RIDE SAFE!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:28:41 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
What the hell is with the cashew ration in mixed nuts!?!

Filberts? I get yer filberts right here!

Todd.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:48:54 PM by cruzziguzzi »
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 08:50:58 PM »
What the hell is with the cashew ration in mixed nuts!?!

Filberts? I get yer filberts right here!

Todd.

Or worst of all - the PEANUT ration in modern "Cracker Jacks"!   PaTHETic .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 08:52:15 PM »

Thats when I woke up and had the hand in the toilet bowl...
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 08:57:10 PM »
Or worst of all - the PEANUT ration in modern "Cracker Jacks"!   PaTHETic .....

Lannis

Don't EVEN get me started on those "prizes" these days!

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 08:59:26 PM »
everything you said is RIGHT ON! thanks for organizing and publishing everything I've been thinking the last couple years.

:thewife: First of all, let's kick this off with the following: why didn't THIS HAPPEN?! Granted, that thing is a bit rough around the edges, but it's a concept so it gets that pass. However, it is basically an awesome-r version of an Aprilia Dorsoduro--what the hell Guzzi?! I'd buy that in a heartbeat, especially if the look got cleaned up somewhat!

Nextly, I want a new bike. I'm actually selling the V7. Not that I don't like it, it's just there's....problems, with this brand and with owning one of these specific types of Italians. The V7 is lovely and always turns heads, but also, as I've evolved as a rider, I've quickly realized this thing does not do it all for me. Looks aren't everything! Anyway, the point of that is, I'm looking at an adventure touring type bike, and the one at the top of the list is the BMW F 800GS. Why? Because it's not so damn esoteric that I can't get parts or aftermarket items for it in a reasonable amount of time, for a reasonable cost, and with a reasonable variety of options. AF1 Racing has a monopoly on my accessory purchases basically, so far! I've been waiting over 1.5 weeks for a luggage rack to even be ready to ship to me! It's just welded tubular steel and some hardware, for $280 and a fortnight to ship, for f*$%s sake!

Now, some of you will be all "well no shit junior, can ya count the number of Guzzi's you seen on the road with one hand or two? heh heh heh" and then spit a hearty wad into an old-timey spittoon with a cartoonish *p-too*, and let's just skip to the part where I acknowledge that this is a rare bird that most people expect to DIY a majority of stuff. Even accounting for that, I feel like it just doesn't have to be this way. I feel like this marque lacks direction and a sense of ambition in design that I'm seeing in other manufacturers. It's frustrating, because the uniqueness and overall design essence and history of this brand is so substantial, it seems like wasted capital to keep producing the same tired old things over and over ad nauseam for the handful of people that like that. I'm not going to ask if I'm wrong, because I ain't! There is both piss and vinegar in this tank, and I want to see more from Guzzi, for real. Dollar vote, out. 

some days I wish I had my Bassa back in the garage, somedays..
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:01:14 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 09:26:48 PM »
Good points. Sissy.

Penderic

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »

We'll be right with you.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 09:49:04 PM »
Isn't there an engineering joke about how everyone wants to come up with a new standardization to simplify and consolidate all the disparate standards, and all we end up with is more standards? I don't know how to Google for that with only that description. :/

Well, I did author the cycles to Hertz conversion tables.  You can find it at resale shops and discount tables everywhere.

Also, a bitching Guzzi rider is a happy Guzzi rider.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:50:23 PM by cloudbase »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 09:53:05 PM »
I was playing with the radio in the twisties and high sided the kilocycle.  I can tell you it hertz!    :boozing:

canuguzzi

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 11:21:38 PM »
Stomatomoto, as you can see same ol loves the same ol. If the market is lucky, MG will actually produce a new 800 class bike and do more with it than make another also ran semi cruiser confused looking bike.

You'll probably really.like the F800.

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 11:51:51 PM »
I'm looking at an adventure touring type bike, and the one at the top of the list is the BMW F 800GS.

I had one, a yellow and black 2009, all loaded up with with all the Touratech goodies, Clearwater lights, Jesse bags, etc. At first I liked it, but it didn't hold my interest that long so I sold it.  Engine too buzzy. Not enough tourqe.  Not that much lighter than the R1200GS.  Too heavy for off road riding for me.  Chalk it up to..... So many bikes, so little time.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline JBBenson

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 05:55:58 AM »
OOOO!  I got one!

Thats easy, neutral density 0.9. Comes in gels up to 40" wide.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 07:07:48 AM »
  AF1 Racing has a monopoly on my accessory purchases basically, so far!

If I really want a MG part fast and the local sources don't have it I just email Agostini and get it from them, especially now that the Euro has come down in value. Yeah the shipping cost will be more but I'm not waiting for a bundled shipment from the American source.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 08:02:06 AM »
If I really want a MG part fast and the local sources don't have it I just email Agostini and get it from them, especially now that the Euro has come down in value. Yeah the shipping cost will be more but I'm not waiting for a bundled shipment from the American source.

:1:

Getting parts has never been a problem for me.  One of the usual suspects is always able to take care of my order.  And using Agostini's isn't too inconvenient, when USA suppliers don't have what I need.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 08:33:06 AM »
The reason this didn't happen is that it was BUT ugly and nobody would buy it.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

bpreynolds

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »

The coffee is warm and fast at Starbucks.  Aerostitch and adventure awaits you!  Good luck.   :thumb:

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
I feel your pain. Over the years I owned a number of somewhat obscure vehicles. I liked their novelty, uniqueness, character. But at some point, parts hounding and finding good support can tip the reward balance to, "It's more hassle than the benefit I'm getting."

So, then I get a mainstream replacement. That really works until the blandness starts to get to me.....and I start looking for character. My wife warned me about her before we got married, "You won't always be happy, but you'll rarely be bored."

Seems to apply to many of my choices as I swing back and forth between logical and interesting.

Whatever you decide, you can always change your mind do something else later.
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

elvisboy77

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 09:32:15 AM »
Complain if you like, but Moto Guzzi will always be a small production niche bike.  If they sh!t them out like Honda does, they would just be another Honda.  No, thank you.

You do have valid complaints, but I can envision dudes sitting around 30 years ago bitching about Guzzis in the same way.....

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »
My brother had an F800GS.  Too heavy for single track and 'not enough bike' for highway.  He now has a 1200GS.  Works well on dirt roads and really good on highway.  He also really disliked the chain on the baby beemer.

I'd look at a VStrom or Super Ten if you want a heavy dual sport.  KLR or similar if you want a lighter one.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »
Bye.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

bpreynolds

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »

You do have valid complaints

Valid how?  The dude's on the wrong bike.  Not a criticism of him - we each like what we like, eh? - but he's on the wrong bike. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here