Author Topic: Help! How to get at top timing cover screw, 2015 V7 II  (Read 1392 times)

Offline StillOnTheRoad

• ForeverBeginning
  • New Egg
    • Yankee Come Home: On The Road from San Juan Hill to Guantanamo
Help! How to get at top timing cover screw, 2015 V7 II
« on: May 09, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »
I must be doing SOMETHING wrong.  :huh:
Got a slow oil leak from timing cover on 2015 V7 II. Folks at two Guzzi shops told me all I had to do to get cover off for gasket removal is
1) move voltage regulator out of the way
2) remove timing cover screws.
Problem: Behind the timing cover there is the brake module
Parts Fiche 33.36
2D000102 ABS Control Unit
held in place by
2B001016 ABS Control Unit Support
It's really the Support that blocks access to the topmost screw of the timing cover.
I've disconnected the Support from the frame, but it can't move out of the way far enough, burdened as it is with the Control Unit.
I've loosened the Control Unit in the Support's cradle by removing the upper AP8152279 screw, but I cannot with any tool I own get at the two bottom AP8152279 screws to separate the Control Unit entirely from the Support.
And even if I could, I can't see where/how the Control unit or the Support is going to get far enough out of the way. MAYBE if I could get those two bottom screws out, the Support would sideslip out to the right...

What am I doing wrong?
Should I really have to unfasten the Control Unit Support from the frame just to get at the timing cover?
Should I really have to unfasten the ABS Control Unit from its support?
If I have to do that, how do I get at those two bottom screws on the Support? Is there a tool I should own that makes this easy?
If I can remove those screws and disconnect Control Unit from Support, but the Support can't move far enough out, am I really supposed to take off the gas tank and disconnect the ABS Control Unit from all its inputs and outputs? That seems CRAZY.

Please, anyone who has removed a V7 II (in this case, Stone) timing cover and remembers how it's done, tell me how and with what tools.
THANK YOU!
Riding = Doing the Next Right Thing

2012 V-Strom DL-1000 ADV
'96 R1100RT
'08 KLR650
1983 K100RS
1981 CB900C
1975 CB250
1977 CB750A
1978 Peugeot 103SP

pete roper

Re: Help! How to get at top timing cover screw, 2015 V7 II
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »
Sorry, I've not had to do this yet so I don't know. It does sound like a typically poorly thought out Noale clusterduck though. Like changing the oil filter on a Crapponord that requires you to remove the ABS pump :rolleyes:.

Pete

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 10:24:29 PM »
I removed mine last summer.  You are on the right track - I ended up removing the ABS control module from the support bracket, then was able to get the bracket out of there.  It went out the right side of the bike.  I think I removed the horn also.  The brake lines connected to the control unit will give a little to help, but still a challenge.  I seem to remember using a small ratchet with a universal swivel to get in there.  Still it took a while and a few curse words...I also remember that there might be some easy to lose inserts between the module and the bracket so watch out for that. 

Mine was leaking at the grommet holding the alternator wires - sealed it properly and now it's ok. 

Good luck. 

Offline StillOnTheRoad

• ForeverBeginning
  • New Egg
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »
Thanks, jpv7. Tremendously helpful. I'm heading down to the largest hardware store I can find to see if I can get a tool that has a chance of getting those two little buggers out of there.
Yours leaked at the grommet for the alternator wire? Unclear to this utter newbie, as nothing in the parts fiche answers to "alternator." Is this a grommet INSIDE the timing cover? The only wire I see coming out of the cover is the one for the sensor up top.
Anyway, thanks tremendously for the info and encouragement.
Bill

2012 V-Strom DL-1000 ADV
'96 R1100RT
'08 KLR650
1983 K100RS
1981 CB900C
1975 CB250
1977 CB750A
1978 Peugeot 103SP

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
Getting those buggers back in is even more fun...

Have a look on right side of cover, lower down.  The cover has a cut-out, with the grommet pressed in.  When you pull the cover, the alternator stator will come with it.  Without damaging the wires, pull the grommet out slightly, and remove the old silicone.

There is also a rubberized metal gasket between cover and engine - be careful with it and you can re-use it.

The weakness in the cover design is that they used a cut-out.  When the cover is installed and torqued, the grommet is used to press against the gasket to seal.  I bought some suitably spec'd Permatex (black) sealant, and applied it all the way around the grommet.  I also put a very small amount behind the gasket (between gasket and engine) where the grommet lines up ONLY.

Seems to be holding up well now.

Offline StillOnTheRoad

• ForeverBeginning
  • New Egg
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »
Thanks again!  That's great detail. I'll be on the lookout...  Got some Permatex high temperature gasket silicone stuff, sounds like it might fit the bill.

Bill

2012 V-Strom DL-1000 ADV
'96 R1100RT
'08 KLR650
1983 K100RS
1981 CB900C
1975 CB250
1977 CB750A
1978 Peugeot 103SP

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here