Author Topic: In praise of ultrasonic cleaners  (Read 743 times)

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
In praise of ultrasonic cleaners
« on: May 06, 2021, 04:43:33 PM »
I shoulda bought one a long time ago...Before is on the left, after on the right.

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: In praise of ultrasonic cleaners
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 06:01:56 PM »
What did you use as a detergent/solvent?
1990 MilleGT

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 06:52:36 PM »
Indeed, they are great tools to have.

I used to buy ultrasonic carb cleaner, damn expensive, about $80.00 a gallon!

I just use simple green in my 30 litre tank, about 25:1 ratio.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 08:00:29 PM »
What did you use as a detergent/solvent?
Like Canuck750, I used Simple Green.  Roughly a 1:10 S.G./water ratio, heated to 50C. But I'll try a less concentrated formula to see how that works. Mines a 6L, plenty of room for a single carb plus the detached float bowl, a small container of brass carb bits and the accelerator pump housing.

BTW, by applying for an Amazon card while purchasing the U.C., I got an instant $35 off the price.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 08:00:29 PM »

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 08:07:38 PM »
I bought a SS tea infuser to hold small parts in my ultrasonic.
1990 MilleGT

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 09:44:40 PM »
I’ve got several carbs to clean but no ultrasonic.   What models do you guys recommend?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 10:49:08 PM »
I’ve got several carbs to clean but no ultrasonic.   What models do you guys recommend?

I found mine on Ebay, shipped from Canada but most are shipped from the USA, look for one with a heater / timer.
I had a 15 litre unit but the controls burnt out after 8 years, I bought a 30 litre for around $400 USD, you can find a 10 ~ 15 litre unit for around $200. The 30 litre tank takes a rack of four carbs easily.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 04:45:38 AM »

Try PineSol and a plastic container before you spend the money on a US. You might be pleasantly surprised at how well a 24 hour soak in PineSol does.

I have a HF US jewelry cleaner its works great at cleaning my glasses. A few drops of Dawn dish detergent you up wit water and a 30 to 40 bath...clean as new. When you see the schmeg clouding off from the nooks and crannies you'll be surprised.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 06:37:03 AM »
I have been using Pinesol diluted 50/50 or more with water, or a couple of drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid in water, or Zep orange decreaser diluted 50/50 with water,  in my heated ultra sonic. Best results for most things so far, the Pinesol. But Pinesol doesn't like cadmium plating and dulls it so I have learned to keep it out of the Pinesol, it also dulls the finish on some aluminum parts. The dulling of aluminum may be connected with the cad plating as some of the parts were mixed in the cleaning, I try not to mix dissimilar metals anymore. I use small zip lock bags with the solution and parts in the bag and then just rest the bag in the basket of my cleaner, less water changing that way. I keep a bucket near the unit to dispose of used/ dirty solutions and a one gallon bottle of water to make up the solutions. I am impressed by the cleaning that happens.

Brian

1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 07:31:36 AM »
Gunk hydro-seal bucket around $25 . Been using them since the 60’s

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 07:33:21 AM »

I've got a Branson 3510 with 1.5 gallon capacity, timer, degas cycle (good option to have) and heater with lid & basket.  Works great.  My big one is an EZE with 18 gallon capacity.  It's a large industrial unit with manual controlled heat and two independent US generators.  Works great.  There's been all kinds of stuff cleaned in the big one, using just about every kind of solution except gasoline and kerosene....

One of the basic rules is to suspend parts above the bottom of the basin, whether in a basket or by wire from above.  Laying pieces on the bottom of the basin can damage the generator(s).  If you're buying a quality used US cleaner and there's no basket, ask about it or use the missing gear to pay accordingly (Guzzi content)

As posted before, water cleans fine.  So do most cleaning solutions that are more aggressive than plain water.  Parts should be fully decreased before going into the basin & solution.  Cavitation of microscopic bubbles does the actual mechanical scrubbing & cleaning in an US unit, not the solvent used.  Anything that will keep removed debris and oil/grease suspended in emulsion better than plain water helps speed cleaning.  Otherwise, it may stick back upon the parts to be removed again (and again and again.....).  The downside of anything that isn't the $$"real" ultrasonic solutions is they typically lack corrosion inhibitors, so flash rust can be an issue if part is not properly serviced upon removal from US.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here