Author Topic: Drifting off…  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Drifting off…
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2023, 08:18:43 PM »
So the new V100 should be in Australia soon. :thumb:
If I come across and shout you a dim sim and a stubby….
Can I have a little ride ? :kiss:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 09:00:58 PM by Huzo »

Online Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2023, 08:51:10 PM »
I don't know of any good tire for wet leaves. Shinko make trials tires where the softness is an advantage, they're a common pick over the Dunlop and Michelin tires for use on slick rocky terrain by riders who don't have an affiliation with or sponsorship from Dunlop or Michelin. Not very relevant to Guzzi riding though.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2023, 09:03:49 PM »
I don't know of any good tire for wet leaves. Shinko make trials tires where the softness is an advantage, they're a common pick over the Dunlop and Michelin tires for use on slick rocky terrain by riders who don't have an affiliation with or sponsorship from Dunlop or Michelin. Not very relevant to Guzzi riding though.
Yes.
All I want to convey is, Michelin make me feel safe, that doesn’t make them a better tyre.
But I’m just too old and set in my ways to entertain a replacement.

Offline Bull Tahr

• New Egg
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2023, 09:33:16 PM »
20 years ago when I first found a Guzzi in boxes, I started the search for resources.  Finding that there was a MGNOC, a blog called WildGuzzi and Guzziology. 

I start reading post and find that these Guzzi Owners like eating, drinking, smoking, riding, fixing, arguing, camping and prefer corn oil in their rear end.  I was kinda reluctant to tag along with such a strange group of motorcycle enthusiast. The topic of camping and corn oil kept coming to the top on WildGuzzi.  I was invited to the Kentucky Rally camp out.  Showing up on the bike in the box, I did not know what to expect.  Setting my tent up far from the other campers in hopes that some cigar smoking Guzzista did not stumble to my tent with a bottle of corn oil. 

It was a slow progression into the Guzzi addiction.  Reaching the point that I decide to build my own Guzzi based on what I felt like is the best fit and style for me and the best of Guzzi parts.  I filtered 5 Guzzi's through the Man Cave since the first. 

In the end, it turned out to be a great week end and opportunity to meet many very good people. 

The first rule of WG is not to mention the "corn oil"................... :whip2:                                      :cool:
Utrinque Paratus

On the Face: Dusty Visor Motorcycles

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2023, 09:33:16 PM »

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2023, 05:38:41 AM »
Yes.
All I want to convey is, Michelin make me feel safe, that doesn’t make them a better tyre.
But I’m just too old and set in my ways to entertain a replacement.

I think those are the most honest types of answers.  Especially with many of the forbidden topics.

"This is how I think, cause that's how I choose to see it, and that's how I choose to think about it!"
Nothing more needs to be said.
Once you give an honest reply, what is left to say?

"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2023, 08:08:29 AM »
Did somebody mention corn oil?

Make sure you lubed up, fil your rear end with corn oil and get down to it!

Remember, the ride is the best part!

Before today, I never thought about why this website is called Wild Goose Chase.

Suddenly, it's all very clear...........   :kiss:

IMO, the conversation around the campfire, isn't the activity that is concerning....
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2023, 09:36:22 AM »
Gentlemen:
We all realize these opened ended threads can go in many directions.
I realize it’s been a long boring winter and threads like this can pass time as well and offer some boredom relieving entertainment.
This beings acknowledged, let’s try to keep the subject matter constructive and related to conversations that can enhance our great hobby of motorcycling.
Carry on👍

Dan
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 11:15:43 AM by Ncdan »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2023, 09:00:02 PM »
Touche’ good Sir….. :bow: :thumb:
Just on the topic of enjoyment, rumour has it that your lovely wife Lisa is celebrating her birthday.
I could pass on my congratulations, but I think that great philosopher Michael Jackson could do it better. https://youtu.be/RLuyHWP_wnM
He has (almost) perfectly exemplified what we would all like to say….. :kiss: :thumb:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2023, 02:50:30 PM »
While we’re not on the topic.
Do you know what I hate ? My top ten…
I hate it when someone wants to acknowledge another persons efforts and in heaping praise on them says something like..
“Our new moderator’s level of success in cleaning up the board, cannot be underestimated…” !  :whip2:
(Should be overestimated)

“Black wheels or polished make no difference to me…
I could care less…”  :angry:
(Should be I couldn’t care less)

I prefer the Kawi to my last bike….
(The name is Kawa…saki, not Kawi…saki)

People who cannot complete ONE sentence without including the word “like”.
“He’s like come flying ‘round the corner and like gone over like the grass and I’m like he’s gunna’ crash…!”

The use of the phrase…”It’s GOT a lot of power”
Power is a numerical value assigned to the rate at which WORK is done, it’s a number.

“I could feel the speed..”
(You can’t “feel” speed, only acceleration)

“I was thrown forward by the acceleration”…!

“I saw a good video on countersteering, I’m gunna’ do that from now on…”   :evil:

“Yeah of course I know what shape a Parabola is…
It’s half an ellipse…” :grin:

“Yeah, that’s my bike over there, it’s the one I just got off of…”.  :thewife:

I was going to do more, but I’m running the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon…. :popcorn:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:17:43 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2023, 03:45:34 PM »
And..
I STILL CANNOT UNDERSTAND why a pilot’s head jerks forward upon release from the catapult in a carrier launch.
Sure, he’s accelerating while on the hook, but immediately upon release he is at constant velocity.
The scene in Apollo 13 during staging, is Hollywood BS…(But I LOVE the movie).
To be thrown forward in your straps, the vehicle has to be decelerating with the pilot at constant velocity.
If it’s the pilot holding forward pressure on his neck which is seen when the acceleration ceases, then I can understand that, but it’s the only mechanical explanation I can come up with… :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:58:34 PM by Huzo »

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2023, 04:19:08 PM »
I know better than to comment...

but

On a cat shot, your straps will hold the body tightly in the sear.
cause you lock the harness.

Your head is free to move forward(not locked by any restraint except to the rear...seat back ..you don't quit accelerating, but you lose the extra acceleration that the cat gives and are now accelerating at a SLOWER pace (engine power only), and inertia takes over.

:-)?
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2023, 04:36:11 PM »
I know better than to comment...

but

On a cat shot, your straps will hold the body tightly in the sear.
cause you lock the harness.

Your head is free to move forward(not locked by any restraint except to the rear...seat back ..you don't quit accelerating, but you lose the extra acceleration that the cat gives and are now accelerating at a SLOWER pace (engine power only), and inertia takes over.

:-)?
Ok I know that you know what you’re on about.
So.
If your head moves FORWARD inside the cockpit upon release from the cat, why does the mass of your head not experience the same accelerations as the craft ? Clearly you are experiencing acceleration the whole time ?
I could accept that you won’t have your head slammed as hard into the headrest after release, but surely still to some degree.
For the headrest to move rearward relative to your head, what force is at play on your head to achieve this.
Do you discount my speculation Kirby, that the pilot is holding forward pressure on his head to mitigate the degree of compression into the headrest and that muscular effort takes over momentarily upon release.
I notice that not all pilots show this effect to the same magnitude.
Certainly the jet is accelerating the body during launch, but upon release the head (temporarily) accelerates away from the headrest.
Is the jet momentarily slowing in airspeed, or the head is thrust forward by the effort of the pilot ?

Put succinctly, upon release, what is accelerating your head at a greater rate (briefly), than than the headrest ?

Either way, the Apollo footage where they are slammed forward in their straps before the next stage fires, is seemingly BS.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 04:43:15 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2023, 04:45:45 PM »
now accelerating at a SLOWER pace (engine power only)
Yes, but the jet is NEVER decelerating at any point ?

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2023, 05:05:24 PM »
Never...

Acceleration provided by the cat + engine in mil power (T/O) is X fps (or meters to you folks down under).

Acceleration decreases when you are disengaged from the cat, and on engine power alone the FPS drops off.  So unless you hold your head pushed against the seat back, the change in the rate of acceleration is  quite a bit and can cause your head (unrestrained) to move.

'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2023, 05:59:59 PM »
Never...

Acceleration provided by the cat + engine in mil power (T/O) is X fps (or meters to you folks down under).

Acceleration decreases when you are disengaged from the cat, and on engine power alone the FPS drops off.  So unless you hold your head pushed against the seat back, the change in the rate of acceleration is  quite a bit and can cause your head (unrestrained) to move.
Ok, I’ll have to leave it there unless I’m invited to go on.
I understand the Physics of what you are saying, but to be honest if I go on it will not work out.
Thanks Kirb.

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2023, 06:02:06 PM »

..... I was going to do more, but I’m running the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon…. :popcorn:

I'm not aware of any instances when Wild Guzzi posters would, like, jump to a conclusion like that!  Especially with someone like you!

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2023, 06:28:33 PM »
I'm not aware of any instances when Wild Guzzi posters would, like, jump to a conclusion like that!  Especially with someone like you!

10/4

You have to understand that the movie's standard procedure is to uh..makes things a bit more dramatic.

I have quite a few "shots" under my belt.

:-)
'81 CX100

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2023, 07:40:21 PM »
10/4

You have to understand that the movie's standard procedure is to uh..makes things a bit more dramatic.

I have quite a few "shots" under my belt.

:-)

Nothing wrong with dishing it out, as long as you realize that you will also have to take it!

It's the only fair way to be!

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2023, 11:53:02 PM »
Like thanks SRE… :kiss:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2023, 12:13:14 AM »
I just thought in my basic way, that if your head moves forward away from then headrest without any input from you, then from the INSTANT the cat releases and the pilots head is MOVING forward, then the head has more VELOCITY than the headrest (jet).
Ok, only for a moment.
But WHERE does the head get that greater VELOCITY (relative to the headrest).
Either the jet has slowed down (not likely) or the head has speeded up.
Now the jet is ALWAYS under cat + thrust, or thrust alone.
So we can deduce that a REDUCTION OF ACCELERATION has certainly occurred, but without input from the pilot, there would seem to be no force that would produce an acceleration in either direction to displace the pilot’s head forward.
Now the phrase “ inertia takes over” is where I become hazy. Because last time I spoke to Isaac Newton, he told me that in the ABSENCE of an external force, the mass will continue at the SAME VELOCITY in the same direction and the relatively meagre acc’n provided by the engines is still acting to keep the pilot’s head pinned back.
Yet.
Our hero’s head is actually moving forward, ahead of the (still accelerating) jet.
And yes Kirb, we are all aware of who you are and what you’ve done. That is why I’m glad you weighed in, even though you “knew better…” 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 06:18:58 AM by Huzo »

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2023, 03:30:39 AM »
In the spirit of this post, and glancing back over a myriad of past posts, I've observed that you eat an incredible amount of popcorn Huzo. :food: :thumb:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2023, 07:55:37 AM »

The cat can sling an aircraft off the deck at near-flying speed with the engines shut down.

I have seen 16mm film of a "cold "cat shot where an F 8 had an engine shut down about 1/3 of the way down the stroke, and it was almost at flying speed when it left the deck.

The pilot ejected and was unhurt, but the aircraft went in the drink far enough ahead that the boat was able to not run over the A/C.

Now think of the "G" forces when the shot in initiated...a bunch, and most of us liked to keep our head upright which means you resist the rearward "G" provided by the cat  thrust pushing you back (including the head).

Naturally with the sudden loss of the thrust provided by the cat w/ the pilot trying to keep his head/eyes level will sometimes cause your head to dip a bit.

Movie magic made it more dramatic.

The end...

'81 CX100

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2023, 09:35:13 AM »
Now think of the "G" forces when the shot in initiated...a bunch, and most of us liked to keep our head upright which means you resist the rearward "G" provided by the cat  thrust pushing you back (including the head).

Naturally with the sudden loss of the thrust provided by the cat w/ the pilot trying to keep his head/eyes level will sometimes cause your head to dip a bit.
Now THAT was always the only reason I could see.
Any other explanation had more holes than Swiss cheese.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2023, 09:53:27 AM »
the pilot is holding forward pressure on his head to mitigate the degree of compression into the headrest and that muscular effort takes over momentarily upon release.

Is the jet momentarily slowing in airspeed, or the head is thrust forward by the effort of the pilot ?

That’s what this bit meant.

The other end…

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2023, 09:59:17 AM »
. A famous singers mother (reportedly named Mary) gave great advice that can be easily applied to this topic........... Can you fill in the blanks?  _ _ _   _ _  _ _.
I sure as hell can’t.

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2023, 04:59:22 AM »
Never Saddle a Dead Horse...
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here