Author Topic: Side Stand solution for V50 III  (Read 3038 times)

Offline gallazblue

• New Egg
Side Stand solution for V50 III
« on: March 24, 2021, 11:12:21 AM »
Hey everyone,

I just bought my first motorcycle a few weeks ago and I'm super excited.

I'm facing a problem with the side stand, I'd like to mid mount it, MGCycle is selling one for Tonti frames but I don't know if it would fit the V50.

Otherwise what would you recommend? Any other compatible stands ?

Thanks !

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Side Stand solution for V50 III
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 01:43:34 PM »
Don't know where you're at but if by Athens, GA ride over to Boxerworks and have Nathan make one custom. You'll have to modify anything going mid point.

https://boxerworks.org/collections/bmw-parts/products/custom-brown-side-stand-for-tonti-frame-moto-guzzi-custom-moto-guzzi-kickstand
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 02:34:53 PM »
Your bike is light enough to use the center stand.  Guzzi content.  Cheaper solution.   :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 02:37:02 PM »
Hey everyone,

I just bought my first motorcycle a few weeks ago and I'm super excited.

I'm facing a problem with the side stand, I'd like to mid mount it, MGCycle is selling one for Tonti frames but I don't know if it would fit the V50.

Otherwise what would you recommend? Any other compatible stands ?

Thanks !

First, welcome to WildGuzzi! It's always great to have another European member! (I'm not one.)

The V50 frame is different from the early Tonti frame, but at least it's also composed of welded tubes. MG Cycle's kit is made from several parts that are also sold separately. You might be able to buy some or all of them and fabricate/modify what you need for your frame, or just buy the whole kit.

The kit's mounting plate to the frame is this piece (also available separately as part number 28434162):

It is made of 8mm thick steel, and is bent to mount the stand at an appropriate angle when fitted on a Lemans 1000. As I measure mine, mounted on my T3, using calipers, the two holes attaching to the frame are about 86mm apart, on-center. (Those are the two holes at the top and the right, as pictured.) You could check to see if you happen to find two suitable bolts the same distance apart on your V50. This seems unlikely.

It's conceivable you could modify the plate, or make a similar plate, but it probably wouldn't be easy.

That being done, you would still need to consider whether the angle and length of the side stand in the kit would work on your V50. Laid flat on a table, and viewed from above, the side stand itself is about 26cm long. The distance from the mounting hole to the ground, however, is only about 21cm, due to the various angles involved.

Nothing is impossible, they say. Good luck!

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 02:37:02 PM »

Offline TobyJug

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 08:55:40 PM »
Don't bother with the standard if it's the same as the V50II.  I never used mine unless I was stood next to it - way too small/close.
2014 Norge GT 8V

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 09:00:50 PM »
Try leg stretches. :thumb: Welcome to the club.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 05:19:29 AM »
after 8 years with a v65, I will say.. just use the center stand. the sidestand is worse than worthless.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 08:15:49 AM »
I modified the sidestand on Mrs. larrys' V50II. I think its the same one as the V50III. I moved the spring attachment pin on the frame so the stand wouldn't spring back on its own, and welded an extension to the pin on the stand so my missus could reach it with her foot while sitting on the bike. It worked pretty good. YMMV.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 09:28:34 AM »
Another solution would be to put on L/H frame rail from a V7C . The newer rails have side stand back by pegs. I believe rails interchange like Tonti frames. Stuff don't change much.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 11:07:50 AM »
Another solution would be to put on L/H frame rail from a V7C . The newer rails have side stand back by pegs. I believe rails interchange like Tonti frames. Stuff don't change much.

If those fit and fix your sidestand issue, now you need exhaust hangers! LOL the small block sidestand is a tough nut to crack.

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 05:28:57 PM »

The BBQ mayor has a good point (in the next post after the quoted one), but it looks to me like one could cut off the exhaust pipe hanger extension from the original frame rail and have it welded on to the V7 Classic replacement, judging from the spare parts manuals at https://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/. But the passenger peg may also be carried by that spar, so care would be needed. Getting both frame rails in hand would be necessary to decide whether this is possible, I expect. With a current price of the new rail at $272.06 (USD) from af1racing.com, this would not be a cheap proposition.

I think the OP has left the building, so this is only a speculative entertainment until someone really takes on such a project.

Moto

850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 07:18:37 PM »
All the tech talk on how to do it scared him away.   :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 06:02:03 AM »
The BBQ mayor has a good point (in the next post after the quoted one), but it looks to me like one could cut off the exhaust pipe hanger extension from the original frame rail and have it welded on to the V7 Classic replacement, judging from the spare parts manuals at https://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/. But the passenger peg may also be carried by that spar, so care would be needed. Getting both frame rails in hand would be necessary to decide whether this is possible, I expect. With a current price of the new rail at $272.06 (USD) from af1racing.com, this would not be a cheap proposition.

I think the OP has left the building, so this is only a speculative entertainment until someone really takes on such a project.

Moto

If you are going to cut and weld, seems like cutting the head off a brown side stand and welding the head from your stock stand onto the Brown might be the way to go? I think I'll look into this

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 10:03:04 AM »
Gallazblue,

As you see, the answer is that it isn't easy to move the V50 sidestand.

Most riders find they can use the side stand well enough with practice. (It is thought that an ape was involved in the design.)

If you have trouble with the centerstand, you should ask for advice here.

I doubt that fear is responsible for your silence. More frustration at all the bother, I expect.

Again, welcome to the site! Many or even most participants here are eager to help. The V50 is widely regarded as an especially sweet-handling machine.

Moto

850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »
The V50 is widely regarded as an especially sweet-handling machine.

This is true, the best thing you can do to that side stand is kick it up and twist the throttle. You wont think about it while you're riding!

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 08:17:25 PM »
To confirm what's already been said...

When I got my V50, I went in search of an original Moto Guzzi factory sidestand. Some good $ later, I came up with a New-Old-Stock original. After installing it, I realized why the original was removed. It was just horrible...

Stick to the Center Stand...

Steven Rossi

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 08:28:03 PM »
Either that or learn how to deploy the oem one from the saddle.  It might be easier leaning down and deploying it using you left hand.  This work for me on my Daytona 1000.

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2021, 06:31:23 PM »
No...the bike rolls right over the OEM one and falls down. At least when it comes to the V50...

SR

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 07:00:54 PM »
I get off the bike and deploy the stand, almost always since my 850T fell off in 76. If I can not perform this feat anymore I'll ride the sidecar rig.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 11:35:56 AM »

This is how I did one on a V65C. Works well. I made my own bracket that I welded on the frame along with floorboards from a Cal2. Sorry for the lateness, I had to find the pics and the password
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline gallazblue

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 02:18:56 PM »
I modified the sidestand on Mrs. larrys' V50II. I think its the same one as the V50III. I moved the spring attachment pin on the frame so the stand wouldn't spring back on its own, and welded an extension to the pin on the stand so my missus could reach it with her foot while sitting on the bike. It worked pretty good. YMMV.
Larry

That’s ingenious, great work !
Do you have any picture to illustrate it ? Would love to try it on mine :)

Offline gallazblue

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 02:21:08 PM »
First, welcome to WildGuzzi! It's always great to have another European member! (I'm not one.)

The V50 frame is different from the early Tonti frame, but at least it's also composed of welded tubes. MG Cycle's kit is made from several parts that are also sold separately. You might be able to buy some or all of them and fabricate/modify what you need for your frame, or just buy the whole kit.

The kit's mounting plate to the frame is this piece (also available separately as part number 28434162):

It is made of 8mm thick steel, and is bent to mount the stand at an appropriate angle when fitted on a Lemans 1000. As I measure mine, mounted on my T3, using calipers, the two holes attaching to the frame are about 86mm apart, on-center. (Those are the two holes at the top and the right, as pictured.) You could check to see if you happen to find two suitable bolts the same distance apart on your V50. This seems unlikely.

It's conceivable you could modify the plate, or make a similar plate, but it probably wouldn't be easy.

That being done, you would still need to consider whether the angle and length of the side stand in the kit would work on your V50. Laid flat on a table, and viewed from above, the side stand itself is about 26cm long. The distance from the mounting hole to the ground, however, is only about 21cm, due to the various angles involved.

Nothing is impossible, they say. Good luck!

Moto

Hey! Thank you first for the warm welcome, I feel like being part of a big family.

I’ve heard about someone moving the original side stand to the central stand position and welding it there, will do some tests this weekend, thank you for your answer !

Offline gallazblue

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 02:33:06 PM »
Hey everyone,

I wanted to first thank you all for the answers, I actually didn't have notifications turned on and just thought it wouldn't be an interesting topic.
What a surprise when I logged back!

I'm reading all the answers, and the -moving back and welding- the side stand seems like a great idea, I'll be trying it this week-end!

I'm glad I've join this -family- and I'll be eager to help or at least try to give part of my experience with my V50-3 in later posts.

Thank you again,

Enzo

(PS: Here is the V50-III we're looking a solution for, more photos coming soon!)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:38:32 PM by gallazblue »

Offline gallazblue

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 02:33:58 PM »

This is how I did one on a V65C. Works well. I made my own bracket that I welded on the frame along with floorboards from a Cal2. Sorry for the lateness, I had to find the pics and the password

Love it! That might be too much work for me, but it looks amazing. Thanks for the photos, I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:38:17 PM by gallazblue »

Offline gallazblue

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 02:37:27 PM »
Gallazblue,

As you see, the answer is that it isn't easy to move the V50 sidestand.

Most riders find they can use the side stand well enough with practice. (It is thought that an ape was involved in the design.)

If you have trouble with the centerstand, you should ask for advice here.

I doubt that fear is responsible for your silence. More frustration at all the bother, I expect.

Again, welcome to the site! Many or even most participants here are eager to help. The V50 is widely regarded as an especially sweet-handling machine.

Moto

It was more about me not turning on the notification, I feel silly now haha.
Thank you, I'm glad I joined this amazing site.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:39:08 PM by gallazblue »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 02:48:57 PM »
You can also weld an extension to the nub on the kickstand.  Take that rubber cap off and save it.  You could probably use it somewhere else on the bike.

Offline gallazblue

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 11:02:52 AM »
Hey everyone,

This might help some in the future : After some research, I've found that a side stand from a 2006 Kawasaki Z750 fits perfectly the V50 III, without any modification it's practically plug and play. I'll be soldering it to keep it future-proof but its pretty stable and goes perfectly as a mid-mount.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2021, 11:10:12 AM »
Can you show a little more detail where it bolts to the frame?

Charlie

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2021, 05:19:59 PM »
Hey everyone,

This might help some in the future : After some research, I've found that a side stand from a 2006 Kawasaki Z750 fits perfectly the V50 III, without any modification it's practically plug and play. I'll be soldering it to keep it future-proof but its pretty stable and goes perfectly as a mid-mount.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  Recycling other motorcycle parts for use on a Moto Guzzi.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2021, 09:25:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum Enzo.  Sweet v50 but I liked it with the fairing more. Are you going to put it back on?

I just got used to my v50ii sidestand and only use it for short stints like when warming the bike up. I like the way it springs up out of the way when I’m ready to go.

Ben
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here