Author Topic: Headlight switch install...epoxy  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Bucky

• New Egg
Headlight switch install...epoxy
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:45:48 AM »
1973 Eldorado needs a new headlight switch. A CEV reproduction one is on the way....the one they warn
about melting the plastic when soldering wires.
I will expoxy the wires in but need a recommendation for electrical conductive epoxy.
I can't find Greg Bender's recommendation, and the ones I have seen are $40-50 a pop!

Comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

Todd
1973 Eldorado

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Headlight switch install...epoxy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »
I'm not up on all the latest products, but I have never seen a conductive adhesive that's suitable for carrying high currents like a headlight requires.  If the solder tabs are clean, the wires are clean, and you use decent rosin core solder, you should be able to get the solder to flow quickly and get the heat off the joint before doing excessive melting.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »
I'm not up on all the latest products, but I have never seen a conductive adhesive that's suitable for carrying high currents like a headlight requires.  If the solder tabs are clean, the wires are clean, and you use decent rosin core solder, you should be able to get the solder to flow quickly and get the heat off the joint before doing excessive melting.

The plastic of the switch is very easy to melt, that's why the recommendation of conductive epoxy. My buddy, who works for the government soldering circuitry in guidance systems, melted one I gave him to do. At $45 a pop it really sucks when the switch is then junk.  :angry: Really the switch should only be used to trigger relays, so would have a much lighter load on it.

Bucky: here's what I found on Amazon. There looks to be a few good choices there.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=conductive+epoxy&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aconductive+epoxy
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »
I have used the conductive epoxy ever since I wrecked a repro CEV switch, its expensive stuff but it works well.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 04:44:04 PM »
There used to be rear window defrost repair goop, which is conductive, to repair broken grid lines. Don't remember the price, but it worked.
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Offline Bucky

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 05:09:23 PM »
The Eldo has all new wiring (ala Greg Bender) and I added his upgraded relays also.
Can't remember if the headlight is on a relay, I don't think so.

Either way, thanks for the replies and will go with a heat treated silver epoxy.
Thanks for the link Charlie....

Bucky
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:10:44 PM by Bucky »
1973 Eldorado

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »
The Eldo has all new wiring (ala Greg Bender) and I added his upgraded relays also.
Can't remember if the headlight is on a relay, I don't think so.

Either way, thanks for the replies and will go with a heat treated silver epoxy.
Thanks for the link Charlie....

Bucky

If you didn't add Greg's "relay solution" for the headlight (mounts back under the voltage regulator), then I would recommend that you do. It has several benefits: 1) brighter headlight, 2) your new switch won't melt due to the load on it, 3) your fuse block won't melt due to the load on it.  :grin:
Charlie

Offline Bucky

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 08:43:33 AM »
My mistake....the headlight is on a relay.
Ordered some conductive epoxy. MG Chemical two part silver epoxy.
Expensive, but I only want to do this once.

Thanks all...

Bucky
1973 Eldorado

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here