Author Topic: Who's attending Mandello 100th?  (Read 2045 times)

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Who's attending Mandello 100th?
« on: July 22, 2021, 02:22:18 PM »
Just more than a month away now.  100th celebration at Mandello del Lario.  I've had my lodging reserved for two years.

Who else is going?  Ideas for a meet-up?

The travel rules were recently relaxed, but now the Delta variant is on a surge.  Entirely possible that travel restrictions get imposed again.  Who knows if we can actually pull this off.  Be good to have a head count in advance if it does actually happen.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Who's attending Mandello 100th?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 02:56:08 PM »
What day will it be exactly, I won't be travelling but we could organize some sort of local Guzzi celebration
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 03:45:14 PM »
I have everything set, (flight, car, room, etc) I  leave JFK from Clt September 8th.
As long as it is not canceled, I WILL be there.
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

We struggle our whole lives so that we don’t have to struggle.  Huzo

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 04:37:43 PM »
What day will it be exactly, I won't be travelling but we could organize some sort of local Guzzi celebration

It will be the weekend of Fri-Sun, September 10-12.  No specific agenda or activities list has yet been published.  Events will mostly be hosted and run by local clubs, not so much by the factory.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 04:37:43 PM »

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 04:54:13 PM »
I have accommodation in Lecco - "non refundable" 😁

Hard to say if travel will be feasible - I fear restrictions by then.

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 06:14:51 PM »
My advice bikeridertim you might want to cancel that rental car. Take the train from Lecco to Mandello, the station platform in Mandello is visible from the factory. Having a car will not be necessary and will probably become a PIA to park and drive on the congested streets. 
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 07:50:31 PM »
My advice bikeridertim you might want to cancel that rental car. Take the train from Lecco to Mandello, the station platform in Mandello is visible from the factory. Having a car will not be necessary and will probably become a PIA to park and drive on the congested streets.
+1 on trains. €13 from Milano.
I just completed all my bookings. Traveling by train everywhere, from Roma.
I'm staying in Varenna to avoid the mess at Mandello.
I got the same advice from the hotel.
You can still enjoy the surroundings, just not in Mandello.
My lady wants to explore the hills, so I might be forced to rent a car.... or a scooter?

Patrick, it would be fun to meet up somewhere. I'll be there 5-8.

Pescatore

2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 08:31:02 PM »
Good luck on the trip.   :thumb:  Definitely train vs car.  Motorcycle for sure.  Lecco has more hotel/rooms than Mandello.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 05:33:15 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 07:25:11 AM »
I got the car to explore and get from Milan to my hotel.  Will be on the train otherwise...... maybe
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 02:10:44 PM »
Just more than a month away now.  100th celebration at Mandello del Lario. ...
Who else is going? ...
The travel rules were recently relaxed, but now the Delta variant is on a surge.  Entirely possible that travel restrictions get imposed again.  Who knows if we can actually pull this off.
Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

i was tempted but - really shot any plans to s#!t. the latest surge appears to be quite dramatic.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/22/us---cases-rise-delta-variant

add to this the fact that it appears that at lest 20% of the people who are currently vaxxed are now getting - and it looks less and less likely that something like this mandello fete will be viable. compounding this further is italy's sad track record with global death storm management and i am losing faith that this will happen. i hope it does and i hope everyone in attendance is all vaxxed to the max. tokyo is certainly showing us what happens when a gubmint is ill prepared or unwilling to take control of plague management.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 02:31:53 PM »
I will be there 9-12.  Looking forward to it! 

We are staying in Varenna.  This is a 2 week trip so we are renting a car.  Hoped to rent a motorbike, but Agostini is not renting due to - and I was unable to find other Guzzi dealers with a rental program.

I definitely would like to meet up.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 02:43:32 PM »
just one more thing. the lamda variant is on the rise around the world but currently mostly in so. america. the rise of lamda there is stark. the research community does not yet know whether lamda will jump the - or not but one thing is clear - one month and a half is a very long time in this game and it gives the virus plenty of room to mutate. who knows what september will look like? currently the eu countries are instituting some travel mandates. by way of example the uk is doing a crap job of gaining control over - and as a consequence some countries are outright restricting travel into their domains for those coming from the uk. there is an increasing likelihood that if you are trying to go to italy from the uk that you will be denied entry. that's just one domino. its not impossible that as the tourism season winds down in europe that various eu governments will further restrict travel from the u.s.. if the u.s continues to have dramatically escalating cases of the delta variant it is not unforeseeable that countries will lock out travel by us. originating folk to their countries. it might be worth buying travel insurance for this trip so that if it all goes to crap you can get all or part of your air and hotel fare paid for.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/09/--heres-what-you-need-to-know-the-lambda-variant.html
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 10:05:26 AM »
I am planning on it.  Borrowing a motorcycle in Germany, though it is a HD. Staying in Varenna. Should arrive 9/5 and depart 9/17.
Yes, let's get together!
Not sure if I will activate my phone there but as long as I can get wifi I get text and email.  Only thing I won't get is voice-mail.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 10:39:26 AM »
Moto Guzzi World Club just posted on FB that it is postponed until 2022. Guess I'm not going after all.

2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 11:18:10 AM »
That's unfortunate.
However, no update yet at this site:
https://motoradunomandello.com/en/
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 02:18:51 PM »
2022 it is then...and on top of this misery, looks like a lot of flooding and mudslides near Cernobbio and areas of Lake Como...awfully sad to see that also.  Just hoping that such a calamity wouldn't happen while 1000's of Guzzisti would be there as well.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline vintage53

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 02:26:35 PM »
Too much going on!  Uncertainty in Europe. 

….. We will be deferring to September of 2022.   Hope to do a self directed MC tour of the country.   
1977 Lemans 1.2 "Project"
2004 V11 Coppa Italia
2010 California Vintage
2021 Vespa 75th Anniversary Primavera 150

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 02:44:19 PM »
Moto Guzzi World Club just posted on FB that it is postponed until 2022. Guess I'm not going after all.

Lots of rumours and false 'reports' floating around recently, I'll wait until it's confirmed in at least two more places . . .
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 03:04:12 PM »
I don't suppose you have a link to that FB Group Tim?
Can't find it on FB.

That's an ImgBB entry as well, not FB . . . ?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 03:05:58 PM by John Warner »
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 03:07:53 PM »
Not sure if I will activate my phone there but as long as I can get wifi I get text and email.  Only thing I won't get is voice-mail.
Face time works on Wi Fi.
I use it all the time when there.

Offline bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 05:18:15 PM »
I don't suppose you have a link to that FB Group Tim?
Can't find it on FB.

That's an ImgBB entry as well, not FB . . . ?

That's a screen shot from my phone,
this is the site

https://www.facebook.com/groups/37763870794

It is down a few posts and the comments have been turned of......
Guess it not "Offical" but it's not looking good
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 06:57:26 PM »
2022 it is then...and on top of this misery, looks like a lot of flooding and mudslides near Cernobbio and areas of Lake Como...awfully sad to see that also.  Just hoping that such a calamity wouldn't happen while 1000's of Guzzisti would be there as well.
Part of me hopes 2021 goes completely arse up.
Then the appetite will be whetted even more and the budget will not have been blown by having failed plans. Can the whole shooting match now, before serious money is squandered.
I would love to do a Nathan Millward and ride there from Creswick on the CT...(he did...).
But the desire to have that Norge parked here

at Lake Como in ‘22 is just too compelling.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 06:58:48 PM by Huzo »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2021, 07:19:29 PM »
add to this the fact that it appears that at lest 20% of the people who are currently vaxxed are now getting -

Vaccines generally do not stop an individual getting a disease or carrying it, what they do is stop it spreading throughout the host and killing it. Something about dam lies and statistics.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 01:21:37 AM »
If it's really been cancelled, you'd think they would want as many people to know as possible. But I can't find anything on the net that confirms that FB post. I guess we'll find out sooner or later.
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline 12SCraig

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 07:01:01 AM »
Your making me sad by bringing up this topic. :cry:
18 months ago i was part of a group of Australians who had booked a container in which 24 guzzis were intended to be landing in venice,.... about now...
Teo lamers had enough bookings for 3 containers, (additional to the other).
throw in Huzo and it was going to be a serious piss-up !!!
2 years ago I was busting my ring trying to arrange individual and group accommodation, all for nought ??!!!
I (and plenty of others from australia) were not just going to be there, but, intended to be there on our GUZZIS 

- has sucked all the goodness out of that idea.

I am no expert on these matters, but did attend in 2016 (1200sport) + 2018 (plane, train + automobile)

For me the best approach is: have a week or so either side of the Party weekend in\around Mandello, and for the w/e itself stay out of town near a railway station, Lecco or Lierna both beautiful and lakeside, the "regionalie" trains stop at Mandello.
I am told that in 2016 a group of friends helped me to the station (BTW its directly opposite the Guzzi factory, so not out of the way) and "tipped me into the 11:20" on the Saturday night, I got back to the digs at Lierna on the shores of Lake Como and tucked in safely. There was plenty of time in the weeks before and after to soak up the delights of the town without the mayhem of the party weekend. This approach avoids all the issues of drink driving/riding, traffic jams and parking issues.
If your lucky enough to be going, have a great time, i'm thinking of you all, and have 10 Vinos for me.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 09:56:03 AM »
Purely by coincidence I’m planning on crossing the Brenner from Austria to Italy on September 7th, and have a week open after that.  I could attend.  If the event is held I think I’ll head west and spend a day in Mandello, if not I’ll head east to the Dolomites, Slovenia and back to Austria.

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 01:31:33 PM »
I can't find anything on the net that confirms that FB post.
Confusione abounds.
From Lecco News 28 July
https://lecconotizie.com/societa/mandello-societa/riunione-in-prefettura-centenario-moto-guzzi-in-bilico/
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2021, 08:45:15 PM »
Vaccines generally do not stop an individual getting a disease or carrying it, what they do is stop it spreading throughout the host and killing it. Something about dam lies and statistics.

murray makes a point here - somewhat at my expense but no matter. the point i meant to make (likely poorly expressed) was that people who are vaccinated are coming up with an increased percentage of infections beyond what was previously expected. it is essential to point out that the - is keeping people out of the hospital and that even those 20% are, for the most part, being hospitalized with conditions that are not necessarily life threatening. in order to avoid layering disinformation upon misinformation i recommend that everyone who is interested take a look today's superb democracy now interview with dr. lena wen. this interview will do an excellent job of helping to clarify the state of the state of the global death storm. please watch it.

https://www.democracynow.org/2021/7/29/covid_19_delta_variant_leana_wen

thanks
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 06:22:51 AM »
Hate to break it to you guys but word came in (via comitato motoraduno internazionale face book page) that its been pushed back to next year. 

As much as I want to cancel my plans it just might be the best bet for this year.  Who knows what could happen in the coming months. 

I planned my trip in such a way that I could easily recoup any money I've already spent. 

Sorry
1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here