Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: T3 Dashboard Options
« Last post by n3303j on Today at 12:29:20 PM »
The bulb will tell you if the alternator is working.
The resistor will not.
General Discussion / Re: Creamy oil in airbox
« Last post by Error on Today at 11:35:26 AM »
Wow, tons of good information here.

Once I find a good low measuring bowl I’ll be draining the oil to check for mayo and volume. But a catch can seems like a good idea as well. I’ll have to read up on it a bit more, but I like the idea of eliminating the breather all together and just have a catch can setup.

I’ll pop the covers again as well, but if there is no frothing u ver the covers, I’ll leave it until summer to see if it’s still kicking into the box.

Thanks for all the info here.
General Discussion / Re: Why multis are better - Nerd-alert!
« Last post by MerleLowe on Today at 11:28:04 AM »
Can someone define "better" as it pertains to this thread?

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth.
The named is the mother of ten thousand things.
Ever desireless, one can see the mystery.
Ever desiring, one can see the manifestations.
These two spring from the same source but differ in name;
this appears as darkness.
Darkness within darkness.
The gate to all mystery.

― Laozi, Tao Te Ching

So, the better that is defined better is not the true better but is the origin of the full garage.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last post by Perazzimx14 on Today at 10:50:55 AM »
Can someone define "better" as it pertains to this thread?
General Discussion / Re: T3 Dashboard Options
« Last post by Antietam Classic Cycle on Today at 10:29:13 AM »
Generator indicator lamp supplies current to the rotor to start the magnetic field to produce current. Burn out the bulb and the alternator won't work.

Hi Beam
Lo Beam
Alternator
Oil Pressure
Neutral

I'd dump Lo Beam to get back to 4 lamps.

Assuming the Bosch charging system is still being used. Easy enough to wire in a "bootstrap harness" then it won't matter what bulb, or even if there's no bulb.

With an EME 450 watt charging system, no bulb is necessary.
General Discussion / Re: difficult double center stand spring
« Last post by DesertPilot on Today at 09:54:23 AM »
Attach the springs on each end before putting the pivot screws in.  Makes it a lot easier.
Aaargh!  Why didn't I ever think of that?  :grin:
« Last post by MerleLowe on Today at 09:54:09 AM »
This is a gross generalization, but more cylinders of smaller capacity allow the engine designer to use a shorter stroke for the same displacement.  Power (in general again) is made by increasing the number of combustion events within a given time.  The shorter stroke allows higher RPM due to lower piston speeds and inertial forces.  The use of smaller cylinders makes for smaller valves, also lowering inertial forces permitting higher speed operation.  Now that the reciprocating assembly and valvetrain can withstand higher speed operation, you can optimize the tuning to move more air/fuel mix at those high RPMs.  More bangs = more power all else being equal.

Torque comes from cylinder pressure and displacement.  You'll notice that most modern engine designs make similar torque numbers for like CCs with very different peak HP numbers.  WHERE that torque peak occurs is a different matter.  Notice that most 1000cc engines come in a bit above 70 lb/ft but at very different engine speeds.

In practice, inline 4s for motorcycles are generally (there it is again) quite oversquare with relatively large valve area.  This makes for a relatively high flow cylinder head with lots of valve area.  In that case you can still use somewhat mild cam timing and still get good cylinder fill at high speeds without killing cylinder pressure at lower RPM.  The end result is a very wide torque curve but with a peak relatively high up the RPM scale.

Also in practice, twins end up with longer strokes, higher piston speeds and lower redlines.  The tuning is then (generally again) optimized for lower-speed operation.  This means often the rider is running the engine closer to the torque peak and gets fast strong response to throttle inputs.  This is interpreted as "torquey" since it is so immediately available. 

That's when aesthetics comes into play.  You might prefer the running characteristics of a lower-hp engine that gives the feel, sound and throttle response that you prefer.  Just know that the choice can greatly affect performance.  The extreme end of this would be the current HD and Indian air-cooled v-twins.  Peak torque is at very low speeds.
General Discussion / Re: difficult double center stand spring
« Last post by John Croucher on Today at 08:39:48 AM »
Attach the springs on each end before putting the pivot screws in.  Makes it a lot easier.
« Last post by faffi on Today at 04:34:02 AM »
General Discussion / Re: V100 Mandello Clutch feel
« Last post by gwensp on Today at 04:27:13 AM »
Ive not noticed any pulsing on the clutch on mine at 16000 miles.

Agree about service costs it is £70 over here (UK) for the air filters and the 5 litres of oil is about £60. Oh and changing the alternator belt at 15000 is a pain requiring body work off and tank off.  Checking the valves (not reshimming) is also a complete faddle, the outer exhaust valves are easy to check but the front intake is a complete nightmare to check, you need an extra wrist and eyes on stalks to see what you are doing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here