Author Topic: Say something about yourself that is not complimentary  (Read 4241 times)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Say something about yourself that is not complimentary
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 04:08:31 PM »
I talk too much
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline mhershon

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 04:20:06 PM »
I often find myself thinking about myself when I should be thinking about others. But not always. I can't help wondering what happened to our recently replaced moderator and if he's doing okay. It's been five weeks since the WG National Rally in Cedar Vale so it feels like I was just shaking his hand 'n' saying so-long. What's going on? Where's our friend? Aren't we owed an explanation?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 05:04:24 PM »
I often find myself thinking about myself when I should be thinking about others. But not always. I can't help wondering what happened to our recently replaced moderator and if he's doing okay. It's been five weeks since the WG National Rally in Cedar Vale so it feels like I was just shaking his hand 'n' saying so-long. What's going on? Where's our friend? Aren't we owed an explanation?
He has asked not to be discussed and after everything he’s done for us, we are owed nothing.
However he is owed the respect of having his request honoured.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »
I find myself purposely starting, or fostering conversation/s regarding topics on which I am unusually well versed.
(I do have a particular standout favourite...)
I then have been guilty of drawing someone in that I don’t like if they offer comment on that topic and pretend to agree with them to bolster their confidence, just for the satisfaction of shooting them down in front of their supporters when they put their foot in their mouth.
It’s my way of dealing with bullies...(but not a nice trait..).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:24:41 PM by Huzo »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2021, 05:22:34 PM »
kev m says I'm arrogant, but he's mistaken. I have a tendency to not express myself clearly.

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2021, 05:28:09 PM »
He has asked not to be discussed and after everything he’s done for us, we are owed nothing.
However he is owed the respect of having his request honoured.

This ^^^ will prove to be the most honorable post of the entire thread.  Thanks, man.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2021, 07:04:42 PM »
I can be arrogant as all hell.  I don't even find it endearing in myself, sometimes.  But, especially as I get older, I find I have less and less patience with idiots.  Children, all day long.  Cranky unpleasant people, sure, for a long long time, if they aren't idiots.  Some of my best friends are cranky unpleasant people.  But idiots, reality-deniers, those with no regard for others -- no thank you.  And this past year has not helped me in this aspect of my character one tiny little bit, but rather amplified and sharpened it.

PhilB
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:06:33 PM by PhilB »

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2021, 07:35:12 PM »
Someone once told me, I make a very good friend, and a terrible enemy. Not sure if I believe it.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2021, 08:08:51 PM »
I find this thread to be completely self serving.

I find the notion that Dusty can not be spoken of, apparently because he asked, to be strange.

My opinion is just that, nothing more, but that is how I feel about it.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2021, 08:31:58 PM »
Gentlemen, read what Huzo’s thread is related to.
Thanks and carry on.

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2021, 03:21:27 AM »
I can be arrogant as all hell.  I don't even find it endearing in myself, sometimes.  But, especially as I get older, I find I have less and less patience with idiots.  Children, all day long.  Cranky unpleasant people, sure, for a long long time, if they aren't idiots.  Some of my best friends are cranky unpleasant people.  But idiots, reality-deniers, those with no regard for others -- no thank you.  And this past year has not helped me in this aspect of my character one tiny little bit, but rather amplified and sharpened it.

PhilB

I found that hanging with idiots(stupid) makes me look smarter.

I have been put in f.b. jail 3 times this year for calling people "stupid".  Maybe I should us "idiot" instead?

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2021, 05:32:28 PM »
Endearing to me..........I'm a smartass.  Not so endearing to others although I do enjoy that quality in others.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2021, 06:40:16 PM »
I found that hanging with idiots(stupid) makes me look smarter.

I have been put in f.b. jail 3 times this year for calling people "stupid".  Maybe I should us "idiot" instead?
Sure, that can be an effect.  But hanging with idiots is far too annoying to make it worthwhile.  And (here's the arrogance again) I'm smart enough, and confident enough in that, that I do not feel any need to arrange a contrast.

I got FB jailed a few times for using the word "f&$%wit" on some deserving individuals.  "Lackwit" so far has apparently been deemed acceptable.  ;)

PhilB
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 07:21:34 PM by PhilB »

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2021, 09:10:19 PM »
1. Instead of really listening to someone I find myself just thinking of what I’m going to say.

2. I’m so much less nice than I used to be, usually when I’m hungry.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2021, 05:54:01 AM »
I'm generally patient and kind untill I'm not, and am often ashamed of myself when I'm not.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2021, 07:15:39 AM »
I probably should be more social (sociable?) but find solitude, or the companionship of a few, and the company of animals to be very enjoyable and satisfying.  My wife is similar and we often note that we need to force ourselves to socialize otherwise we would become hermits.  Then after a social outing we often say "OK!  I've had enough of people for a few days."

I often wish I could spend money more freely and become more of a collector (like lots of WGers, I really admire your bikes and garages).  But being raised poor, the phrase "Better yet, learn to do without!" became part of my being.  Also if an object is not being used frequently, I think it should be in the hands of those who will use it more often.  The plus side is I get to experiment more and recycle more.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2021, 07:18:04 AM »
I'm generally patient and kind untill I'm not, and am often ashamed of myself when I'm not.
BD9, the last part of your statement is a good indication that you are a good person with integrity👍

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2021, 08:38:09 AM »
I got FB jailed a few times for using the word "fuckwit" on some deserving individuals.
It’s taken about a week before someone would test Dan out to see if he would kick their butt.
Just like an anti masking Karen, or a sovereign citizen.
Don’t tempt the guy then cry if he kicks your ass.
You wouldn’t have done it with his predecessor...(more than once..).

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »
1. Instead of really listening to someone I find myself just thinking of what I’m going to say.
That’s a bad trait of mine too.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2021, 01:45:30 PM »
That’s a bad trait of mine too.

To some extent, I think we all do this.
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2021, 06:37:41 PM »
I have a foul mouth. I try to keep it under control, but am unsuccessful too often. It is a tell for me. As my anger increase my language becomes more gutter.

I prejudge others harshly. Something I dislike in others as well as myself. Case in point. I have an automatic dislike for Harley riders. I like individual Harley riders, just not the group. Yes I know how hypocritical that is.

I am very guilty of “doubling down” my opposition to others when I hear someone spouting off societal views I disagree with. To the point I will take an opposing view against someone I disagree with even when I may be more like them than not.

I’m very confrontational. More so in real life than online. I abhor a keyboard warrior. If I’m going to posit my views online, by George I’m shove them down someone’s throat in real life. It’s led to confrontations and fights. Again, it’s something I’m working on. Hopefully none of y’all see that side of me. I’m not proud of it. There are far more enlightened ways of making my point. I just have to keep the red mist at bay.

I sometimes worry I’m a sociopath.

Those are just a few of a long list. I just try to have a longer list of positives than the negatives.

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2021, 07:25:51 PM »
It’s taken about a week before someone would test Dan out to see if he would kick their butt.
Just like an anti masking Karen, or a sovereign citizen.
Don’t tempt the guy then cry if he kicks your ass.
You wouldn’t have done it with his predecessor...(more than once..).
I wasn't trying to test anyone.  I wasn't calling names or being insulting, or otherwise causing harm.  I knew, of course that calling someone that here was not acceptable.  I did not know that just using the word at all was forbidden.  Dan mentioned it, I apologized and have edited it, and promised not to do it again.  Assuming mal-intent is also impolite.

PhilB

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2021, 07:29:47 PM »
I was not real sure what the outcome of this thread would be. As I said I took a chance and played along early, not knowing where it would end up. For me this has been a good read.

Personally I think it shows our "human" side. For all of my working career I have worked in either the Air Force or Defence industry with mostly ex-military people. Particularly in the early days, read 1980's, you quickly learnt to not show your feelings or weaknesses and do not talk about any negative aspect of yourself. Anything you did say would be noted and used against you.       

As a side note the Australian Department of Veteran Affairs is having a Royal Commission into Defence and Veterans suicide. They have found the suicide rate is lower than the community average for serving members but higher for members that have left the Defence forces. One school of thought is that those who have left are so used to not admitting any faults that once they loose their sense of belonging they will not speak up. Asking for helps must mean that you are not capable and therefore weak.   

So what this thread has shown me and hopefully others, is even though we are a group of motorcycle riders who have a reputation of looking danger in the eye every day we ride in traffic, taking on the elements and generally a resilient bunch of Ladies and Gentlemen. We are human and humans have both positive and negative traits. The respect for the posters so far has shown it is ok to drop the guard from time to time. It is also ok to be ourselves and if we are willing to share a trait we are not happy about we are probably willing to work on changing it a bit. We also may accept that others can be a bit over the top at times, and as long as they can make amends if they overstep the mark we can move on and keep this one big happy campfire.

Steve

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2021, 11:10:53 PM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow:

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2021, 11:58:07 PM »
I wasn't trying to test anyone.  I wasn't calling names or being insulting, or otherwise causing harm.  I knew, of course that calling someone that here was not acceptable.  I did not know that just using the word at all was forbidden.  Dan mentioned it, I apologized and have edited it, and promised not to do it again.  Assuming mal-intent is also impolite.

PhilB
Phil, in my book you are a gentleman and a scholar and I’m proud to have you as a fellow member of this family, Sir.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2021, 12:02:56 AM »
I feel that Huzo’s thread has given us an opportunity to be honest about our short comings as human beings. I definitely have to face mine every day as they challenge my ability to try to always do the right thing.

Yes this is a motorcycle forum, however it’s members are human.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2021, 01:18:22 AM »
I feel that Huzo’s thread has given us an opportunity to be honest about our short comings as human beings. I definitely have to face mine every day as they challenge my ability to try to always do the right thing.

Yes this is a motorcycle forum, however it’s members are human.
That’s right..
Prior to this thread, I could have done a reasonable job of saying “what” most people here are.
I wanted to know “who” you are and to pose the question..
Do YOU know who you are..?
(Seems many do..)

omega1

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2021, 01:55:07 AM »
I am surrounded by idiots.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2021, 02:10:07 AM »
I am surrounded by idiots.
When in the middle of a circle of idiots, does one feel correspondingly superior due to the contrast, or do you become judged by the company you keep..?
Or do they naturally just flock to you like moths ‘round a flame...? :popcorn: :popcorn:
So it begs the question..
Why would a person choose the company of idiots ?

Offline bottler

• New Egg
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2021, 04:53:26 AM »
Perhaps they enjoy the company of intellectuals

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here