Author Topic: Guzzi 1100 custom build  (Read 14379 times)

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
Re: Guzzi 1100 custom build
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2023, 04:07:16 AM »
THAT is spectacular work Buzz, you are “lightyears” ahead of me in your approach to detail… :bow: :thumb:
If I may suggest, the intake tracts seem to adopt a different approach to your usual theme, do you concur ?
But irregardless (sic), I reiterate that there should be…
Kiwi Roy for electrical.
Canuck 750 and Charlie for restorations.
Roper for mechanical instruction.
Beard, Meinolf and Beetle for maps and tuning.
Daniel Kalal for touring advice and example.
Yourself for “ground up” builds…. :bow: :thumb:

Thanks  :grin:

yes, on those manifolds I decided to leave the welds rather than sand them off, there are other features I have left to keep that "home made look" like the exhaust.

I do like to build custom, as its the fabrication I like, but I have done many restorations in the past but not documented them...  We never used to have a camera in our pockets!  its actually one of my big regrets that I didnt take more film pictures over the years...

I did restore a Monster recently, here is a video of its story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH-Qm5iLBho

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2023, 11:24:44 AM »
You sure don’t sit still! Again I am just amazed with your fabrication skills, second to none. I really enjoy studying your posts, there is so much I can learn from your work.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2023, 08:24:52 AM »
You sure don’t sit still! Again I am just amazed with your fabrication skills, second to none. I really enjoy studying your posts, there is so much I can learn from your work.

Thanks!  I do like to share what I do...  Although we have three kids and two granddaughters they are not interested in what I do, so I don't have anyone to pass my skills onto, hence I blog about it :grin:

I like to fabricate things...  not just bikes!  a couple of years ago my wife asked for a BBQ...  and fire pit...  OK I thought, and then she complicated it by saying she wanted her own grill as she is veggie   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I wanted to make something that would last, so I had a one meter disk spun into a dish out of 6mm thick 316 stainless steel, and then made some grills.  here is the result!

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2023, 08:26:37 AM »
A nice part of the build is when you start to pull it all together. All that preparation of parts for months before all comes together quite quickly.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2023, 08:26:37 AM »

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2023, 10:54:43 AM »
One of the things that was missing on the bike when I bought it was a gear lever. No problem I though… until I saw the price! so I decided to make one, and while I was on, make it slightly longer to suit my big feet. I took the one off my other bike as a pattern. I milled it out of a solid piece of alloy plate, and then hand filed it all to shape, and gave it a polish, I was quite pleased with the result!

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2023, 12:49:47 PM »
out in the daylight for the first time in a while  ;D

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2023, 05:10:06 AM »
One of the things I wanted on this build was a clean looking rear end.  I struggled to find a rear light that was suitable, so in the end I have fitted three 10mm superbrite LED’s as a rear light, and used a resister and diode so its bright and then brighter to act as a stop light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Mc2fn0_Kc

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2023, 08:34:09 AM »
I have made a few similar Hall Effect ignition pickups in the past and they have worked brilliantly. This is a refinement on those.  This time I have used an alloy cam wheel and put the magnets directly into that, rather than use a separate wheel.  the magnets are 3mm as opposed to the 4mm ones I have used in the past, lets hope they are OK!  I also swapped out the allen bolts for some none magnetic A4 ones just in case it picked those up.

Previously I have had a small discrepancy in the timing cylinder to cylinder, which is OK as I can compensate for that in the Ignitech software...  But it irritated me that I had to do that!  I put it down to my rotary table that is not the best and only measures degrees and its difficult to get the holes for the sensors precisely 135 degrees apart.  This this time I borrowed a mates table that is very accurate and can measure to minutes. It was a pleasure to use such a wonderful piece of quality kit!  Making the pickup plate took some time, probably the most accurate work I have done in a while!

I am not sure i needed the heat sink, but it looked aesthetically pleasing so I used it.

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2023, 10:01:29 AM »
I have made a few similar Hall Effect ignition pickups in the past and they have worked brilliantly...

Wow, even the electrics are custom. Are the pickups also from Ignitech, which you installed into the hub you fabricated?
I like the heat sink fins.

...  Although we have three kids and two granddaughters they are not interested in what I do, so I don't have anyone to pass my skills onto, hence I blog about it :grin:

I like to fabricate things...  not just bikes!  a couple of years ago my wife asked for a BBQ...  and fire pit... 

You can teach me!  I will relocate to England for a few years.  I could sleep in your shop, keep the bikes shiny...
Seriously, blogging and video tutorials are a great way to spread the wealth. Thank you.
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2023, 12:22:39 PM »
Wow, even the electrics are custom. Are the pickups also from Ignitech, which you installed into the hub you fabricated?
I like the heat sink fins.

You can teach me!  I will relocate to England for a few years.  I could sleep in your shop, keep the bikes shiny...
Seriously, blogging and video tutorials are a great way to spread the wealth. Thank you.

The pickups are just some latching Hall sensors and a bit of circuitry to make them work with an induction type TCIP4 ignitech They do actually sell one specifically for Hall, but I think it just incorporates what I have replicated.

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2023, 11:03:47 AM »
I finished the throttle off...  I had to make the adjusters as they needed to be a custom size.  I also used cycle gear cable as the nice thing about it is the outer wire is longitudinal, which has several advantages, the one being that you can cut it so the inner liner can extend into the adjusters and into the throttle which makes the entire run of the inner cable within the liner.  I was very pleased with the light action, and only a 1/4 of a turn closed to open.  We all know a fast action throttle adds 20 BHP ;D

I know that I should use suppressed leads, but I prefer to use copper cored ones. they are easy to make up and you can make them to the spot on length. I have had that crimp tool 50 years!

one of the things I wanted to do was get rid of the rubber frame bungs… so I turned up some alloy ones. I needed some alloy bar, so I popped into my local metal recyclers… he had several skips of alloy round bar and machined square and oblong billets, all different sizes… many marked on the end with the material specification! They were just about to be taken away so I had to be quick, I really had to restrain myself though, it was like Christmas had come early!

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2023, 01:31:22 PM »
Things don't always go to plan... I tried to starts it... I had a spark, and lots of backfires, but it would not run. I checked a few things and came to the conclusion it was the pickups... I wasn't sure if it was the actual hall sensors, or the magnets and spacing. I decided to try the magnets and spacing first, and it turned out to be that. not sure if it was the strength of the magnets, or the spacing (I suspect it was the spacing) but either way I had to re design the rotor. soon as I did this, it fired up and settled to a nice tickover. I also breathed a sigh of relief as I had put a lot of effort into the exhaust and didn't know what it would sound like! To me it sounded awesome! here is a short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4z1kqUoEVk

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2023, 02:41:26 PM »
I need to approach things a bit more like you do Buzz.
As Canuck said, that work is just awesome, without the Teutonic look that those Kaffeemaschine guys go for, they have all the taste of a wooden spoon.
Certainly there will always be varying approaches regarding taste, but your work is beautiful, semi understated British and just fantastic.
I could not produce your standard of finish, but it is the direction that any would be creator of motorcycle art should go.
Sort of like Bimota meets Moto GP or WSBK…. :bow: :thumb:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 02:43:57 PM by Huzo »

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2023, 04:13:52 AM »
Thanks Huzo!

the fuel tap proved to be a challenge. It couldn’t go on the tank, but I also didn’t want to on show. In the end I made a small bracket and mounted it out of sight.

I popped into the paint supplier where my mate works… he persuaded me to try some new lacquer which he said the customers were raving about… I reluctantly agreed to try it. Although I had prepped the tank, I thought I would try it on the mudguard first… I am glad I did! It was easy enough to spray, and gave a nice gloss from the gun, BUT it took almost two hours before it was dust free… That may be ok in a heated, dust free paint booth, but in my garage its a distinct disadvantage. So its back to what I know and I went back for some of the formula I always use!

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2023, 10:00:55 AM »
I like your choice of colour on the great bikes you build. Have you ever thought of building a Laverda special? Orange is the perfect colour for a Laverda. With your exceptional skill set the result would send the Laverda guys drooling.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2023, 10:45:17 PM »
I usually don't care for orange, but that really pops. Maybe I should go orange...
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2023, 12:17:34 AM »
It’s sort of like his signature on what he does.
You could see a custom bike in the distance and if it’s that colour, you’ll be reasonably sure it’s a “Buzz Build…”

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2023, 03:10:22 AM »
I like your choice of colour on the great bikes you build. Have you ever thought of building a Laverda special? Orange is the perfect colour for a Laverda. With your exceptional skill set the result would send the Laverda guys drooling.

One of my first ever restorations was a Jota...  that's where my love of Orange and silver came from!

Way back in 1980 I bunked a day off work and went to the Laverda importers, Slaters in Bromyard.  He tossed me some keys to a Jota and said "I am off for some dinner, don't come back for two hours” Well I was hooked, but couldn’t afford it…  So I looked around for a tatty one and found one for £300!  Those were the days.  I restored it and had 30 years of pleasure from that bike!
Soon after it was restored I popped in to see Richard Slater on the bike, and he commented on the paintwork, and said he needed a tank and body work painting urgently…  He asked if he could have the tank and bodywork off my bike!  So we took it all off, put on a brand new tank and panels and I rode off!   I did lots of paint jobs for him subsequently…
One other story is I went one day and he was moaning that the factory had no footrest plates…  he had quite a few bikes off the road and customers were complaining…  He gave me some broken plates ( they broke when the bike fell over) and I took them home…

I welded the parts together and fillered them until they were to shape… I then sprayed them with polyester spraying filler to increase the size by 1/77 which is how much cast alloy shrinks.  I then cast some up in a sand mould and machined them up!  He was over the moon!  I sold probably 100 sets over the years…
On the back of the casting I always put TL…  When I see a Laverda I always look to see if there are my plates on it!  I have found two so far!

Thats me in 1982 in Spain on the Jota!

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2023, 03:13:13 AM »

here is one that might interest you Guzzi guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk7wXn--i4Q

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2023, 07:34:44 PM »
One of my first ever restorations was a Jota...  that's where my love of Orange and silver came from!

Way back in 1980 I bunked a day off work and went to the Laverda importers, Slaters in Bromyard.  He tossed me some keys to a Jota and said "I am off for some dinner, don't come back for two hours” Well I was hooked, but couldn’t afford it…  So I looked around for a tatty one and found one for £300!  Those were the days.  I restored it and had 30 years of pleasure from that bike!
Soon after it was restored I popped in to see Richard Slater on the bike, and he commented on the paintwork, and said he needed a tank and body work painting urgently…  He asked if he could have the tank and bodywork off my bike!  So we took it all off, put on a brand new tank and panels and I rode off!   I did lots of paint jobs for him subsequently…
One other story is I went one day and he was moaning that the factory had no footrest plates…  he had quite a few bikes off the road and customers were complaining…  He gave me some broken plates ( they broke when the bike fell over) and I took them home…

I welded the parts together and fillered them until they were to shape… I then sprayed them with polyester spraying filler to increase the size by 1/77 which is how much cast alloy shrinks.  I then cast some up in a sand mould and machined them up!  He was over the moon!  I sold probably 100 sets over the years…
On the back of the casting I always put TL…  When I see a Laverda I always look to see if there are my plates on it!  I have found two so far!

Thats me in 1982 in Spain on the Jota!

Great history! Thanks for sharing it.

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2023, 03:30:46 AM »
Here it is, finished...  I am pleased with the look, even though it divides opinion!

This will be the last full bike build for a while. This is my 12th bike build, they usually take me all winter to complete, and then I ride them over the summer.

I have no doubt there will be some tinkering, and I will post the results of that,  but I wont be doing another full build until September 2024. I will be doing a video on the build soon.

The plan is to spend the summer as we always do, Holidays, days out, and going for rides... Then in the autumn its time to do some work on the house, new kitchen, bathroom, general renovations and decorating. The last house purge was the year I retired...  14 years ago!  My wife has been very tolerant over the years!

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2023, 04:12:11 AM »
I gave the garage a good clean out the other day, which meant getting all the bikes on the drive...  I thought it worthy of a picture.

I also did 80 miles on the new build, it ran very nice from the off...  I did however stop a couple of times to tweak the air screw on the carbs.  Its such a fun bike to ride!  I also took the Guzzi out for a 20 mile ride...  here's to a warm dry summer!

Here are some of the builds I have done over the years, yes there is an orange and silver theme, its what I like, and with all my builds, I build them for me!  I have done restorations in the past rather than custom builds and have kept these in original or period colours... 

One of my big regrets is not taking photos...   I have very few film photoes from the pre digital age which is a shame.

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2023, 11:48:10 AM »
I thought I would update...  I have been putting a fair few miles on the Guzzi...  It runs really well and pulls like a train!  the ride is a little hard and I may well change the rear shocks though...

However, not everything on a build like this goes to plan… I have been doing a fair few long and fast runs and after one very spirited run I noticed oil coming out the breather… looks like the one I made didn’t work. I set about a completer re-design, and made one out of alloy sheet. Here is the result. I have given it a good thrashing and all is now well!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2023, 02:32:14 PM »
I have given it a good thrashing and all is now well!
https://youtu.be/26Bkfg3Bn84
Can never be a bad idea.. :popcorn:

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2023, 04:15:08 AM »
well this and the Guzzi build comes to an end (that's if custom builds ever do!)

Have to say I am loving both bikes, they are very different to ride!  The Duke is so light and nimble at 168kg wet, with the Guzzi at 200kg

This will be my last build for 18 months...  I normally build a bike over winter, and ride all summer, so that's the plan this year...  then in September I will start work on the house... Happy wife, happy life! 

Hopefully I can start another build September 2024, so plenty of time to look around for anything that takes my fancy

for now here is a video that covers the build...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOb8nLGY9C8

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2023, 09:07:50 AM »
Here is the finished Guzzi.

I did spend some time tweaking the ignition, but I have to say that it was pretty close with the advance curve it came with it from Ignitech.  It took a couple of days to sort the jetting out on the carbs, but what’s nice is they are easy to get at to change jets, and these carbs came with the slow air screws as opposed to slow air jets which makes life easier.  I have a quiet road where I go, rather than annoy the neighbours where I can ride up and down, do plug chops and adjustments.   

To help others if they do simmilar, The jetting I ended up with is as follows:-

#155 main jet,  #50 pilot jet,  ELS needle (4th groove from the top)  I started with an ELT needle but had a slight fluff at 1/8 throttle so changed to ELS and it cured it.

here's to a warm dry summer!

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2023, 09:53:43 AM »
I have been putting quite a few miles on it...  here is how it sounds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZkHruZz2rU

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2023, 05:58:09 PM »
I have been putting quite a few miles on it...  here is how it sounds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZkHruZz2rU

It sounds lovely mate :thumb: :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2023, 07:00:08 AM »
June, the weather has been great and I really am enjoying this bike and putting a few miles on it! however, every time I looked at the under slung exhaust I felt it didn’t suit the bike…  I know a lot of people liked it (some didnt...)  but for me it was wrong.  it was the long straight front pipe… So out came the welder and I made a new one! here it is!

this feels like a hooligan of a bike   The combination of the light weight, the torque delivery, the riding position, and the handling all bring out the hooligan

I have had the wheel come up a few times       

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 07:16:10 AM by buzzer »

Offline buzzer

• Hatchling
    • Tony and Jacks blog
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2023, 12:32:03 PM »
They say a custom build is never really finished… that’s a true statement! while the four cable throttle worked really well… it was just a little too slow for my liking, taking just more than a fist full from closed to open. Also, after buying a clutch cable from Venhill for the Guzzi and being impressed with how much lighter it made the clutch, I decided to buy some of their teflon lined conduit, and some of their flexible wire rope as opposed to cable. That has made a significant difference to the feel of the throttle, especially as I extended the liner into the adjusters and throttle housing. I also incorporated a positive stop for fully open on the throttle, save straining the cables. I always enjoy silver soldering and watching the solder flow into the gaps to make a seamless joint! I did have to buy some more sticks of solder as I was getting low… £10 a stick now! it used to be £1 last time I bought some!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here