Author Topic: Merged topics: 2007 Norge First ride review  (Read 3821 times)

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
Re: Merged topics: 2007 Norge First ride review
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2022, 04:13:13 PM »
After 5 years I finally installed the Beatle map on my Norge last fall. Dumbest thing I ever did was to wait 5 years to do it. 100% the absolute best money I ever spent on a motorcycle. Starts better, runs as smooth as “fill in the blank” and a noticeable power increase. Tidy up everything else first. Don’t give up on her. Once you have all the little things working, install the map and you will not stop smiling. Also, for me, the pilot road 4’s and up seam to work just right for me. Longish life and great performance.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2022, 04:14:44 PM »
I’ve owned an 08 1200 Sport since 2013 and it too only starts in neutral (The same problem) I’d like to fix it also so it starts in any gear with the clutch pulled in. Could you tell me where the ECU is located on my bike so I could look into fixing that? Should be the same as a Norge. Or can you show a picture of the ECU with its location? Thanks

I like this feature, is extra insurance and protection from being dumb...... (not that any of you guys have to worry about that) :evil:
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2022, 04:22:38 PM »
I’ve owned an 08 1200 Sport since 2013 and it too only starts in neutral (The same problem) I’d like to fix it also so it starts in any gear with the clutch pulled in. Could you tell me where the ECU is located on my bike so I could look into fixing that? Should be the same as a Norge. Or can you show a picture of the ECU with its location? Thanks
There is a plastic cover over it or in front of it, under it between front frame down tubes under steering stem, both harness plugs are a pain to get off. Best to undo tiewraps holding harness on both sides.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2022, 04:44:39 PM »
There is a plastic cover over it or in front of it, under it between front frame down tubes under steering stem, both harness plugs are a pain to get off. Best to undo tiewraps holding harness on both sides.

Do I have to remove the gas tank to get to the ECU?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2022, 04:44:39 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2022, 05:29:50 PM »
In answer to Blackcat’s post back a bit..
Yes I do love my Norge, but possibly not significantly more than most others. I will admit that having owned it for 17 years and 200,000 k, I have learned about most of the things that are likely to crop up.
It is true that they get looser and creamier in the power delivery and gearbox as they age.
The heads have never been off mine, original front rotors, seals, clutch, etc…
It will be getting a new oil pump after Mandello and also timing gears from Joe Caruso.
I was going to take my V85 for the 101st, but just could not conceive of the Norge not being there.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2022, 05:34:38 PM »
Do I have to remove the gas tank to get to the ECU?
Yes, it's easier to deal w/it. It is behind the wings on tank,

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: First ride review question 1 tappets
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2022, 07:10:20 AM »
Not yet  :laugh:
I should mention that since I am 250 miles from the closest dealer I intend to do all the maintenance  myself.  The R1150GS has never seen the inside of a BMW service bay.
Here you go…
Remove the seat.
Remove the side covers…(these ones.

Remove the tank…
Remove the small 30 mm diameter round inspection bung in the alternator belt cover on the front of the engine.
Remove the black plastic plug lead covers that fit over the tappet cover (left side).
Remove left plug cap and outer plug.
Remove left side tappet cover.
Obtain the suitable socket and rotate the crank by the front nut clockwise when viewed from the front and have a plastic straw handy to insert in the plug hole…(a glamorous assistant is invaluable here…)
Continue rotating the crank until the straw tells you the piston is descending with the rear (inlet) rocker depressing the valve…(this is the intake stroke).
The piston will reach BDC and the inlet valve will close.
Keep winding…
As the piston reaches TDC, you will detect the point where the crank can rotate a few degrees fore and aft with no discernible piston movement..(this is TDC on compression stroke and the point at which to check your clearances).
The front (Exhaust) should be 0.006” and the rear (Inlet) 0.004”
The nut on the rocker is 11mm I think.
If you have any leakage from the rocker gaskets, replace them with the green Valpolini ones, you can use them over and over.
No need to butcher up the bolts on the cover, just a nice even nip all ‘round.
Replace all the dross that you took off.

Now go ahead and repeat the procedure on the Right side.
Done…!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 07:12:51 AM by Huzo »

Offline nsmith

• Gosling
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2022, 09:54:51 AM »
I have the 2007 Breva. Number one thing about the heat that I have noticed is once I get above 5,000 rpm the heat goes way up, and as soon as I drop back below that point the heat goes away as fast as it came on. The Breva has been an awesome machine.
Neil formally from South Dakota now living it up in Arkansas

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2022, 12:28:22 PM »
By the way, that puff of air I experienced when filling the tank the first time could have been because I bought the bike at low altitudes and filled it at a high altitude.  Potato chip bags up here look like Mylar balloons for the same reason.
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2022, 02:17:36 PM »
Here you go…
Remove the seat.

Thanks, with your encouragement I will try it tomorrow.  Any idea about the torque settings for the nuts?
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2022, 02:48:46 PM »
Thanks, with your encouragement I will try it tomorrow.  Any idea about the torque settings for the nuts?
No, but just do them up.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2022, 03:11:05 PM »
The tappet adj locknuts are 12ftlbs (my setting), I do them w/torque wrench so all are equal. I'm anal like that for tune-ups.

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2022, 03:49:34 PM »
Thanks.  You don't have to be anal to care.  You just have to have my experience causing problems over tightening and under tightening various critical bolts over the years. 
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2022, 04:43:21 PM »
If that much bothers you make it lighter but all the same. I've had good luck doing it that way for a living. No $ in it but had lots of fun.

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2022, 04:45:52 PM »
Sorry if I came across wrong.  I am very grateful for your suggestion and will tighten according to your recommendations.  I have had troubles in the past and now always look for torque specs.
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2022, 05:03:55 PM »
After 5 years I finally installed the Beatle map on my Norge last fall. Dumbest thing I ever did was to wait 5 years to do it. 1

I have taken the advice of the forum and purchased the map, the cables, and downloaded all the software.  Tomorrow I intend to do the tappets and replace the spark plugs ($20 for a spark plug?).   Then when the cables come in I'll remap.
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2022, 10:43:34 PM »
I have taken the advice of the forum and purchased the map, the cables, and downloaded all the software.  Tomorrow I intend to do the tappets and replace the spark plugs ($20 for a spark plug?).   Then when the cables come in I'll remap.
That is admirable..
If you decide to learn how to balance your throttle bodies, make sure you are aware of which screw to turn and the correct procedure.
For your own sake, let us know before you commence the process.
Suffice to say..
The left TB is set at the factory to flow a certain amount of air.
The balance process involves closing BOTH air screws and setting the right butterfly to the left one @ 3,000 rpm and then, opening ONE of the air bleeds to get the idle right @ 1,200 rpm.
A home made manometer will suffice.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 10:45:03 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2022, 07:57:44 AM »
I hope it’s not too late to tell you, but before you remove the inner plug/s, blow around the area with compressed air.
More than once there have been little stones in the vicinity of the plug base..
You don’t want any toppling into the cylinder with the plug out…! :sad:

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2022, 10:39:10 AM »
That is admirable..
If you decide to learn how to balance your throttle bodies, make sure you are aware of which screw to turn and the correct procedure.
For your own sake, let us know before you commence the process.
Suffice to say..
The left TB is set at the factory to flow a certain amount of air.
The balance process involves closing BOTH air screws and setting the right butterfly to the left one @ 3,000 rpm and then, opening ONE of the air bleeds to get the idle right @ 1,200 rpm.
A home made manometer will suffice.
Thanks, I have 4-way manometer, I just have to find it.  Hopefully by next Saturday. 
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2022, 10:40:22 AM »
I hope it’s not too late to tell you, but before you remove the inner plug/s, blow around the area with compressed air.
More than once there have been little stones in the vicinity of the plug base..
You don’t want any toppling into the cylinder with the plug out…! :sad:
Good advice, I'm on my way to pick up the spark plugs at O'Rileys.
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2022, 12:36:03 PM »
Good advice, I'm on my way to pick up the spark plugs at O'Rileys.
The tube spanner required to get the inner plugs out is a thin walled item. Quite specific.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2022, 12:44:23 PM »
The tube spanner required to get the inner plugs out is a thin walled item. Quite specific.

I just bought a cheap socket and ground it down with a bench grinder.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2022, 11:12:40 AM »
Saturday I was able to check the tappets, take off the tank, change the inner spark plugs and the air filter. 
The gas filter is of the old style, and the plastic is quite swollen.  I am glad for the advice to check it.

Two problems.  First, while I was trying to remove the gas line from the tank I knocked the tank off the bike, which broke the red fuel connector.  I have to find another one.

Second, the right side spark plug boot was impossible to get off.  Not much room for a lot of grip.  Finally I went down and bought a pair of boot pliers.   That pulled it off nicely.  Then discovered the real problem.  The cap was welded to the electrode, and pulling the boot off, pulled off the cap, which was stuck to the terminal nut.  It took considerable work to get the cap off the nut, and sure enough there was a spot-weld mark on the terminal.  I have never seen that before. 
I need to investigate how to fix this.
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2022, 11:21:47 AM »
Saturday I was able to check the tappets, take off the tank, change the inner spark plugs and the air filter. 
The gas filter is of the old style, and the plastic is quite swollen.  I am glad for the advice to check it.

Two problems.  First, while I was trying to remove the gas line from the tank I knocked the tank off the bike, which broke the red fuel connector.  I have to find another one.

Second, the right side spark plug boot was impossible to get off.  Not much room for a lot of grip.  Finally I went down and bought a pair of boot pliers.   That pulled it off nicely.  Then discovered the real problem.  The cap was welded to the electrode, and pulling the boot off, pulled off the cap, which was stuck to the terminal nut.  It took considerable work to get the cap off the nut, and sure enough there was a spot-weld mark on the terminal.  I have never seen that before. 

I didn't want to jinx you on the gas tank removal, however, now that you have been initiated into the broken fuel connector club, you can obtain these replacement parts from Gutsibits, or you can even buy the metal one from BMW and cut into the lines so that future removal is much easier than the existing setup (which is made easier by buying the right tool to "squeeze/press/separate").

Plastic version:  https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?f=d&q=FUA01692

Metal version: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

Might not be a bad idea to get a new set of spark plug wires...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:22:15 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2022, 11:28:28 AM »
[Might not be a bad idea to get a new set of spark plug wires...
[/quote]

Thanks.  Can I take this as hopeful news that the coil assembly is separate from the spark plug wires?  So I don't have to buy a new coil? 
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2022, 11:41:52 AM »
[Might not be a bad idea to get a new set of spark plug wires...

Thanks.  Can I take this as hopeful news that the coil assembly is separate from the spark plug wires?  So I don't have to buy a new coil?

Well, I can't guarantee that, but I'd start with the plug wires before replacing the coils, unless you have some concrete specific info that the coil is bad.
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2022, 11:44:31 AM »

Might not be a bad idea to get a new set of spark plug wires...

Maybe I missed something but why change the spark plug wires?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2022, 11:47:19 AM »
Maybe I missed something but why change the spark plug wires?

From Kaladin's description above:

Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2022, 11:51:30 AM »
From Kaladin's description above:

Thanks, missed that and that is weird, wonder what caused that to happen?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2022, 11:57:12 AM »
I have seen this many times, CARC's & newer run real hot compared to the single plug heads.

NGK caps 90*, car wires cut to fit. ALL DONE.  Theese will work------------

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_157&products_id=4691

Arcing from loose plug cap that screws on.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:59:06 AM by guzzisteve »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here