Author Topic: 2011 Norge - Hesitates  (Read 921 times)

Offline sgtt

• New Egg
2011 Norge - Hesitates
« on: July 31, 2021, 07:39:34 AM »
My bike hesitates around 4000-4200 rpm.  My dealer has been unable to find the solution.  Last year the throttle position sensor went out.  Took a long time for them to find the issue.  About 8 weeks ago I hit a deer.  Did not go down.  About 6 weeks ago the bike started to act up.  While accelerating, it hits a flat spot around 4000-4200. The dealer put gas additive in and told me to put some miles on before filling.  Needless to say, it didn't help.  I suspect the throttle position sensor.  ANY thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: 2011 Norge - Hesitates
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 05:28:12 PM »
Bump
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 05:33:01 PM »
I am not properly across this stuff, but is your bike a very early 8V ?
If it has the factory map, just get a Beetle one and get the best guy you can to install and tune it.

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 08:32:18 PM »
A flat spot between 40 and 4200 RPM seems strange to me. I understand you to mean that the flat feeling goes away at 4300 RPM, right?

Is the problem purely RPM-related or does it also depend on the load, that is, whether you are getting to that RPM range in a high or low gear or on the highway versus around town?

Was your bike damaged anywhere around the engine when you hit the deer? What sort of damage did it receive in general?

Edit: Looking back, I see that the flat spot developed sometime after the deer hit. Maybe the two are completely unrelated.

Moto
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 08:34:15 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 08:32:18 PM »

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 06:54:51 AM »
Bad O2 sensor? 
Tim

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 07:06:27 AM »
If your dealer isn't too good, the early Norge 8V had a bad map besides the tappet issue. If they can't figure out what is going on they can call the Regional Tech Rep from Guzzi. This is what they are for and not to use them is plain stupid.
If you hit a deer it could have damaged a wiring plug, relay or the ECU is right under steering head.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline sgtt

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 10:31:09 AM »
Have the flat tappets been replaced with rollers ?

Dusty

They have not to the best of my knowledge.  Would the flat tappets cause this issue?

Offline sgtt

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 10:32:36 AM »
If your dealer isn't too good, the early Norge 8V had a bad map besides the tappet issue. If they can't figure out what is going on they can call the Regional Tech Rep from Guzzi. This is what they are for and not to use them is plain stupid.
If you hit a deer it could have damaged a wiring plug, relay or the ECU is right under steering head.

Excellent advise.  How would one find the regional rep?

Offline sgtt

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 10:34:04 AM »
A flat spot between 40 and 4200 RPM seems strange to me. I understand you to mean that the flat feeling goes away at 4300 RPM, right?

Is the problem purely RPM-related or does it also depend on the load, that is, whether you are getting to that RPM range in a high or low gear or on the highway versus around town?

Was your bike damaged anywhere around the engine when you hit the deer? What sort of damage did it receive in general?

Edit: Looking back, I see that the flat spot developed sometime after the deer hit. Maybe the two are completely unrelated.

Moto

It seems to be in all gears.  I can power through it if I accelerate fast.  I am not prone to do so as my go fast days are long gone!

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 11:04:14 AM »
Excellent advise.  How would one find the regional rep?
Where are you at?  All tech Reps are on the inside of book you get when you go to Guzzi Tech training. If they have not sent anyone out to CostaMesa then it's inside their dealer book. OR they could call the warranty dept.
If your warranty says Flat tappets were replaced but you don't see rollers then you still need it fixed.

Offline sgtt

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »
Where are you at?  All tech Reps are on the inside of book you get when you go to Guzzi Tech training. If they have not sent anyone out to CostaMesa then it's inside their dealer book. OR they could call the warranty dept.
If your warranty says Flat tappets were replaced but you don't see rollers then you still need it fixed.

St. Paul, Minnesota

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 01:54:53 PM »
If you had it at Leo's try Caswell in Mora, long time dealer. They would have informed you of the lifters. They have the Tech info available, it's like a tool for tech's. They know more and some go teach the school in CA.
They don't use Axone anymore all the updates go to the PAD's system, software on dealers laptop.
If you've owned the bike since new, should have got a notice about roller tappets. That would be up to dealer to inform all bikes sold.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 02:05:50 PM »
From Guzzisteve:
If you've owned the bike since new, should have got a notice about roller tappets.

Bought my 2011 new and never received a notice and would not give me a kit either, had to pay full boat.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 02:40:33 PM »
"That would be up to dealer to inform all bikes sold."
Not all dealers deal the same, we sent out notices. After all it only make more service $.
I swapped out all new curved Flaties, then they spun around. Coating still came off. BAD fix kinda like the Hydro fix took 3 fixes.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 06:41:23 AM »
Here's a video from some fella called Roper  :cool: that gives a little info about rollers and why you should change out the flatties..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzAO_JV4gU4
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here