Author Topic: Why I wear a full face helmet.  (Read 1786 times)

Offline paul in rochester

• Gaggle Mentor
Why I wear a full face helmet.
« on: August 02, 2021, 08:54:42 PM »

Out on a stunningly gorgeous day today, and got caught with a rock or bolt or somesuch off a farm truck alongside Lake Ontario. Kinda beat up the chin air inlet and made a helluva noise, but better than my chin. Years ago, a buddy smacked a bat (!) with his nose while in a 3/4 helmet at speed; I decided then and there that my helmet choice was decided.

Others will think otherwise, that's cool.

Paul
who needs therapy? i have a motorcycle!!
'00 jackal; '83 GL650
babysitting two CX650T

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
Re: Why I wear a full face helmet.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 08:57:11 PM »
I've had similar experiences and came away with the same thoughts.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 09:25:09 PM »
These kind of collisions with foreign objects is the reason our motor cop bikes were always equipped with windshields we looked through and not over, which protected the riders full head and body from debris kicked up off the road or unsecured stuff from another vehicle.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 09:32:34 PM »
These kind of collisions with foreign objects is the reason our motor cop bikes were always equipped with windshields we looked through and not over, which protected the riders full head and body from debris kicked up off the road or unsecured stuff from another vehicle.

I never thought of that.  Makes sense.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 09:32:34 PM »

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 10:03:37 PM »
To me it would be insane to be without one.I’ve been hit with bugs that felt like someone threw a rock at me.Eyes are too valuable.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 10:15:30 PM »

Out on a stunningly gorgeous day today, and got caught with a rock or bolt or somesuch off a farm truck alongside Lake Ontario. Kinda beat up the chin air inlet and made a helluva noise, but better than my chin. Years ago, a buddy smacked a bat (!) with his nose while in a 3/4 helmet at speed; I decided then and there that my helmet choice was decided.

Others will think otherwise, that's cool.

Paul

Glad you had the right helmet on for the ride.  Now, I also hope you wear knee, shin, and foot armor, as well as thickly padded or armored gloves.  A buddy of mine got a fractured leg from a rock kicked up by a truck. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 10:22:36 PM »
  Maybe not the first thought , but a few weeks ago I rode into the area of Lytton B.C to see what
all the news about the insane heat was  ( it burnt to the ground 2 days later ) , let me say that
without the face shield down I'd of had to turn around . It was literally starting to blister my face .
47 degrees celcius , who knows how hot in the sun and on the highway !  Peter

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 06:21:18 AM »
I recently took a cross country trip on my '08 Wing, which I haven't really used for several years.  I always wore a half helmet when riding that bike probably because of the Wing's superior wind protection, ease of listening to radio/music and other Wing riders wear half helmets.  I wear a full face helmet when riding my other bikes because of a lack of wind protection to the face & for wind noise reduction.  Anyway, shortly after departing on my trip I quickly realized that I no longer enjoyed wearing the half helmet because of wind noise and realization of the lack overall facial protection.  I'm glad I took my custom molded ear plugs but I think I'm done with half helmets.  Another reason for me going to 100% full face was the torrential down pour with hail I got caught in on the trip, I would have really appreciated the benefits of my full face helmet that day.  And, then there are the accident protection bennies of a FF.  So, that's why I wear a FF.

'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 07:13:33 AM »
I used to ride with a 3/4 helmet and sun glasses figuring the windshield would block the nasty bugs and such. Despite the windshield, something hard and heavy hit me in the face and broke my cheekbone. Been using a full-face helmet ever since.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 08:38:36 AM »
Hi All,                                                                                    8-3-21
Modular is a great choice...full face protection, flip up convenience.

Be well, stay well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »
I never thought of that.  Makes sense.
If I may add, the new Technology in materials in windshields today make them non distorted just like looking through a car windshield and are no longer Plexiglas but a poly carbon composite which is almost indestructible.
Also I can’t tolerate being confined in a full face covering.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 09:38:57 AM by Ncdan »

F-Fred

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 09:25:33 AM »
Never had a modular or 3/4 helmet that fit me, but full-face is the way to go unless you're really hungry on the go:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 09:26:02 AM by F-Fred »

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 09:51:45 AM »
Just the opposite for me. I had to get a full face helmet just to breath on my Norge. I finally put a lip or extended screen on the bike and am back to my open face helmet. 10 days out west and no bug or debris issues. No claustrophobic sensation and it is good to feel and smell the world as I ride again. 

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
Rode for years with a "shorty" While leaving a parking lot one day I was approached by another rider who simply said "What part of your face don't you like?."  Full face modular ever since!

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 11:57:39 AM »
 ^  :grin: . Peter

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2021, 12:09:38 PM »
Just keep the the visor down on your full face. A friend was on a ride with a guy who had a full face helmet, visor up, when a buzzard hit him in the face. Filled the helmet with buzzard guts. Can’t imagine what that experience was like.

Pete

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2021, 12:19:42 PM »
I am using an open face helmet for my Honda ride, but simply because I deem the risk reward ratio to be acceptable on this ride only.
It’s a calculated risk I choose to take, but a risk none the less. If I pay the price for my choice, I will regret it and would not try to mount a case to justify my actions.
I’ve never put a mark on a helmet while wearing it, but I think the case for using full face ones is statistically overwhelming.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2021, 12:52:58 PM »
I discovered this past weekend that full face helmet visors don't clear of rain when you are also behind a windshield.  I had to open the visor and let the rain pelt my cheeks until I rode out of it. 

When I ride my other bikes I can just turn my head sideways for a second the the rain clears off. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2021, 01:07:54 PM »
I can't remember where I saw this (It was only a few weeks ago) but there was an analysis done of where the impacts occur on the head as a result of a motorbike accident. The highest percentage location? The lower face/jawbone area, which (if I remembered correctly) gets smacked about 25% of the time. That put an end to my shopping for an oh-so-cool open face/goggles combo.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2021, 02:10:28 PM »
I've tried to ride with a open face a few times. I don't see how anyone does it.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 04:33:11 PM »
I have been wearing a full face helmet for decades. Also I have had modular helmets for many years as well.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2021, 04:43:08 PM »
I have been wearing a full face helmet for decades. Also I have had modular helmets for many years as well.
kk

My simple rule of thumb...no full fairing?  Full-faced helmet required at all times.... :thumb: :cool:

Full-Fairing?  You can get away with an open faced helmet, but should wear a full faced helmet anyway... :wink:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 06:29:38 PM »
I can't remember where I saw this (It was only a few weeks ago) but there was an analysis done of where the impacts occur on the head as a result of a motorbike accident. The highest percentage location? The lower face/jawbone area, which (if I remembered correctly) gets smacked about 25% of the time. That put an end to my shopping for an oh-so-cool open face/goggles combo.

ICON made a helmet to help you remember.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2021, 07:24:22 AM »
I've always ridden full-face, simply because I hate the wind in my eyes, very sensitive.

Since I got the Ambo finished, I have been wearing a 3/4 quite a bit- I bought a pair of script Stoggles (fully shielded saftey glasses type for hospital work in the pandemic) and discovered that if I wear those pushed tight to my face they keep out the wind/dust/etc.  It kinda helps that top speed on the Ambo is sub 70mph and I never ride on an interstate anyway.

I'm still FF 80% of the time, but for some reason the loop life has relaxed my former ATGATT standards, can't exactly explain why-- other than most of the time I'm just chuffing around on back roads and I can leave my garage to instantly hit great rural riding without any city streets/highwats/traffic
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2021, 01:34:36 PM »
Let’s see , the reasons I wear a modular helmet . The morons throwing packs of salutes out the car window on 4th of July , or was it the motorhome with the swill tank dripping , so they don’t have to pay at dump station. Maybe it was the time junior stuck his head out the side window of the mini van to eject a happy meal ! Or perhaps when the vehicle ahead of me ha a major cooling system issue , lots of steam &hot coolant if I remember right . I stopped counting the small birds & large bugs . Lots of reasons accumulated in 300k Mi.

bobrebos

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2021, 02:18:13 PM »
Full face for me.

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2021, 03:34:54 PM »
Full face for me all the time.  There have been many times when I have been "hit" by a huge flying bug when riding out in the valley.  Not only did they leave a huge "splat" on the visor, but if it hit my face that would have really hurt!  And then there are the "splats" on the helmet itself which are sometimes huge!
I had a riding instructor say this about open face helmets: "Open face helmet, closed coffin...". 
Be safe out there no matter what you wear and ride...
Tony C

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2021, 09:31:13 PM »
It's ridiculously easy to be killed by a slight upward blow to the chin.  Ask Dale Earnhardt.  It's also very hard to kiss the bride with a reconstructed chin.  Carry on................. ......
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2021, 09:47:10 PM »
I’ve always worn a full face helmet too, but for a different reason.  I’m trying to protect other motorists. 

You see, when you are as gosh darn handsome as I am, women can get distracted and then have accidents. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2021, 10:02:21 PM »
From SmithSwede:
I’ve always worn a full face helmet too, but for a different reason.  I’m trying to protect other motorists. 

You see, when you are as gosh darn handsome as I am, women can get distracted and then have accidents.
Dang it SmithSwede I had a response to that and then lost it due to my advanced age but it had something to do with that supposed handsome face of yours, then remembered why you wear a full face helmet.   :grin:
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here