Author Topic: Tonti Triple Trees  (Read 977 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Tonti Triple Trees
« on: August 05, 2021, 08:57:56 PM »
Any tips for getting fork tubes to slide up into the triple trees?  New upper tubes on G5 lowers and FAC innards. The triple trees are 850 T3, repainted with the inner surfaces taped off and paint free. The tubes just don’t want to fit. I’ve tried gently prying the lower trees open with a large screwdriver in the slot from the bottom. I’ve also tried screwing the clamp bolt in from the front against a metal plate in the slot. I didn’t want to do this too hard as I was worried about stripping the clamp  The tubes fit almost all the way through the bottom and then get hung up.  Heat on the trees?  Some detergent on the tubes?

Thanks.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
Re: Tonti Triple Trees
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 10:41:15 PM »
Heat - that alloy will expand a reasonable amount

Offline Bazil

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 11:05:56 PM »
I've used timber wedges in the triples with success in the past, but try to wedge both top and bottom edges of the clamp; if you only wedge from the bottom the top will not have opened up much. Fiddly but do-able.

good luck !
1986 Lario ( long gone, still missed)
1985 Mark IV Lemans ( Gina)
1991 V40 Targa ( L'il Jeannie)
1962 Royal Enfield Crusader Sports

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 03:55:27 AM »
Are these all known parts you've used before or a new combination of parts? 

It's sounds like the new part of the equation are the new fork tubes.  Have you measured them to compare dimensions against old tubes that fit?  Where did they come from?  The deal-breaking interference may be the thickness of the chrome plating on the new tubes.  What's the ID of the clamps when not tightened?  If the clamps are clean and not damaged, you shouldn't need to abuse them to assemble these parts.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 03:55:27 AM »

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 07:25:56 PM »
Are these all known parts you've used before or a new combination of parts? 

It's sounds like the new part of the equation are the new fork tubes.  Have you measured them to compare dimensions against old tubes that fit?  Where did they come from?  The deal-breaking interference may be the thickness of the chrome plating on the new tubes.  What's the ID of the clamps when not tightened?  If the clamps are clean and not damaged, you shouldn't need to abuse them to assemble these parts.

I’ll mic the tubes and trees.  It is a new combination as the trees are new/ used.  The fork tubes came new from MG Cycle and fit in my G5 trees.  They don’t fit the T3 trees. They make it partway. I’ll try heat. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 08:45:06 PM »
I made an adaptor to fit screw the fork, and then screwed a sliding hammer to this.  Worked great!

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 08:49:32 PM »
I agree with Clint, the tubes should slide into and through the triple clamps withiout much effort.

I have had a tiny bit of powder coat residue stop a fork tube from sliding through the clamp, a drum sander in a drill or die grinder tool will clean out the bore of the clamp in seconds.

48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 09:38:57 PM »
I've run a long bolt backwards through the triple clamp that pushed against a plate on...the inside of the outside.  Sorry- poor description.  Basically instead of tighten up the clamp, run the bolt backwards and have it push against something instead of going through the hole.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 05:07:22 AM »
I've run a long bolt backwards through the triple clamp that pushed against a plate on...the inside of the outside.  Sorry- poor description.  Basically instead of tighten up the clamp, run the bolt backwards and have it push against something instead of going through the hole.

Tried that. Terrifying. I was worried about either snapping the tree or stripping the hole.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 09:19:58 AM »
Are you certain both clamps are straight? A used clamp might have been twisted in a collision. Even a quarter degree out of alignment would hang up the tube.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »
Are you certain both clamps are straight? A used clamp might have been twisted in a collision. Even a quarter degree out of alignment would hang up the tube.

This is the most common problem, the trees can be tweaked and not visually apparent that they are. Sometimes in several different planes. They can be straightened if you can tell where they are off. If you stick the old tube in the lower tree it can be used as a lever to move it . A tedious process
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »
Did you try getting really mad at them, shed a few tears of frustration, then hitting them really hard with a big hammer, going for the either they'll fit or they'll be trashed afterwards approach? That method "sometimes" works for me, I don't encourage it, so I'd take others advice on this  :azn:  Good luck!
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2021, 03:14:58 PM »
I agree with Clint, the tubes should slide into and through the triple clamps withiout much effort.

I have had a tiny bit of powder coat residue stop a fork tube from sliding through the clamp, a drum sander in a drill or die grinder tool will clean out the bore of the clamp in seconds.

:thumb: I reassembled my forks recently. The fork tubes would NOT go in. I tried wedging the triple hole wider by hammering a punch through the slot, which helps a little. But a huge difference was made by simply sanding off the paint on the inside of the bore of the lower clamp. A drum sander is  ideal, but I used some #100 sandpaper with my fingers, moving the paper around and testing with the fork tube often.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2021, 04:57:00 PM »
Did you try getting really mad at them, shed a few tears of frustration, then hitting them really hard with a big hammer, going for the either they'll fit or they'll be trashed afterwards approach? That method "sometimes" works for me, I don't encourage it, so I'd take others advice on this  :azn:  Good luck!

Hi Groover.  I counted to ten, walked away and posted the question.  I reserve blind anger for the golf course. When I have a spare hour I’ll go put the heat gun on it and see what happens. This my replacement $95 set of eBay trees, which were in surprisingly good shape and came with all of the bottom and top hardware (after I bought hardware from Charlie as well.) if I have to buy a third tree I’ll probably cry.

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2021, 06:22:25 PM »
The only time I had  a similar situation on a 850T the triples were simply  misaligned  from a previous ( unknown to me ) impact.
After a similar struggle I took the set over to my local machine shop who  quickly informed me after a few measurements on the bench.
Ended up replacing the lower triple ( new from dealer ) and everything lined up perfectly afterwards.
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2021, 01:52:35 PM »
Sorted it. The bottom trees were a hair tight.  I removed the upper tubes from the forks and used a soft mallet to tap them in from the top. It made lining up the headlight ears and rubbers much easier. Then I installed the lowers from the bottom, tightened the top nut and tapped everything down flush. Thanks everyone for the help.

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2021, 02:59:18 PM »
 :thumb:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here