Author Topic: '98 EV sidecar rig  (Read 711 times)

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
'98 EV sidecar rig
« on: August 16, 2021, 09:40:38 PM »
I just finished up this '98 EV with a Velorex and thought I'd share a few tips for others that might want to put a Velorex on their Tonti framed Guzzis.
1. Theaded part of the arms goes DOWN, this way the rain can't work its way into the threads as easy. 2. Lower rear sidecar side clamp is on top of the frame rail and the eyeles is HORIZONTAL. This is important. If both the bike side, and the sidecar side of the arm are vertical, things can and will shift. This can turn into toe-out and is really scary. 3. I drill and tap a small bolt into the front lower clamp arm to make sure that it can't slide out. 4. the upper arms can and do use the stock 'universal' velorex mounts. Lower arms DO NOT. Scary stuff.  5. For upper rear arm, on the bike side, the sidecover and the rear chrome boomerang will need to be notched.

upload png

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
Re: '98 EV sidecar rig
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 09:41:36 PM »
three degree lean out, 11 inches of stagger and 5/8 inches of toe-in over an 8 foot run.  OH, and these stock handlebars are WAY too narrow. Krikey it needs Bassa bars.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 09:42:28 PM by Lee Bruns »

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 07:08:48 AM »
Nice!    Ive always liked the size, and looks of the basic Velorex side car. I have always been told its too small and light though. Is that true, and if so how did you work around that?
Paul B

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 07:37:51 PM »
They're fine. The new 565 also has a much beefier axle and wheel than the older models, so that helps. If you have the old, tiny diameter axle, then it might be a good idea to change to the new, big axle swingarm and wheel bearings. The ONLY time I ever saw any signs of being overstressed was an old 562 with the tiny wheel and axle. And it took a LOT of abuse to get it to that point even. (Did it myself).  Prior to me getting that sidecar, it was on an 1100 Goldwing and was trouble-free for the owner. I put it on a CB750 Honda and beat it like a rental car, till the axle bent. Then made a new swingarm with a big axle. No failures since.  As for weight, I'd really rather have 'too light' and add ballast, than a big old pig of a sidecar that is heavy before anyone or anything is put in it. I like to use water for ballast. That way if I put a person or load in, I can just dump the water rather than double up on the weight.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 07:37:51 PM »

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:19:12 PM »
I like the idea of water for ballast. Quick and easy.

My Terraplane was well matched, weight wise, to the 1100 Goldwing, at about two hundred pounds. Never really needed any ballast.

First SC was a Doug Bingham, Velorex copy. Attached to a KZ 650 Kawasaki. Way too lite, had a bag of sand handy for ballast, but the real the issue with Bingham, was the sub par mounts.Actually had one let go at the base of the Tacony Palmyra bridge.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 08:16:48 AM »
They're fine. The new 565 also has a much beefier axle and wheel than the older models, so that helps. If you have the old, tiny diameter axle, then it might be a good idea to change to the new, big axle swingarm and wheel bearings. The ONLY time I ever saw any signs of being overstressed was an old 562 with the tiny wheel and axle. And it took a LOT of abuse to get it to that point even. (Did it myself).  Prior to me getting that sidecar, it was on an 1100 Goldwing and was trouble-free for the owner. I put it on a CB750 Honda and beat it like a rental car, till the axle bent. Then made a new swingarm with a big axle. No failures since.  As for weight, I'd really rather have 'too light' and add ballast, than a big old pig of a sidecar that is heavy before anyone or anything is put in it. I like to use water for ballast. That way if I put a person or load in, I can just dump the water rather than double up on the weight.

Nice to hear. My search will continue on! 
Paul B

Offline derek_s

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 07:44:48 AM »
Looks great. I just purchased a 2000 Jackal with a Ural.  I like your windscreen, how well does it work for you?  That is the next thing I need for mine.

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 05:33:06 PM »
Looks great. I just purchased a 2000 Jackal with a Ural.  I like your windscreen, how well does it work for you?  That is the next thing I need for mine.
It's the customers windscreen. They work fine. Guzzi brand. VERY thick plexy with good wind control. Styling is a matter of taste, but they do function well. He has the rig back and is happy.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here