Author Topic: Convenience vs. looks, 2021 V7 Stone Bags  (Read 3733 times)

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
Convenience vs. looks, 2021 V7 Stone Bags
« on: January 24, 2023, 06:20:17 AM »
I’ve struggled with this decision but am leaning toward the hepco becker side and top box mounting hardware with the 30 liter hard bags and 40 liter top box over the La Poderosa soft canvas bags with waterproof liners.  Gaining access to bag contents is primarily the main reason.  Prices are comparable.  Decisions decisions…lol
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 06:20:47 AM by bobrebos1 »
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Convenience vs. looks, 2021 V7 Stone Bags
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 06:32:11 AM »
Easy for me - HBs.

But IF I was struggling with those two extremes I might be tempted by C-Bows as middle-ground.

Personally I do think soft bags look like crap when they're empty and somewhat collapsed
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 06:33:56 AM »
I’ve struggled with this decision but am leaning toward the hepco becker side and top box mounting hardware with the 30 liter hard bags and 40 liter top box over the La Poderosa soft canvas bags with waterproof liners.  Gaining access to bag contents is primarily the main reason.  Prices are comparable.  Decisions decisions…lol

I think it really comes down to how are you planning to utilize the bike.  Are you going to ride two up?  If so, the hard top box makes a lot of sense for passenger comfort and convenience.   Are you going to travel with the bike?  Are you going to camp off the bike? 

If you are going to do all of the above then the hard bags make much more practical sense. 

That said, admiring the motorcycle sitting there in front of the café is very important to me.  If I were going to use it for all the above purposes, I would get the hard bags and only put them on the bike when needing them. 

When they weren't on the bike I would mount some Amazon canvas bags to the H&B racks for jaunts around town and to the café.   

I did that on my Himalayan.  Bags cost $20.  You can spend more and get bags with straps built in to mount to the frames.  I used dowels and zip ties.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 06:41:11 AM »
I think it really comes down to how are you planning to utilize the bike.  Are you going to ride two up?  If so, the hard top box makes a lot of sense for passenger comfort and convenience.   Are you going to travel with the bike?  Are you going to camp off the bike? 

I will be camping off of the bike, so yes HB’s make more sense to me too.  Thanks
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 06:41:11 AM »

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 06:42:24 AM »
Hi, I don't know your requirements for storage and whether you have a passenger but I did an 8 day BRP and back roads trip down to Asheville NC last year and was able to carry all I needed with a couple of 13L GIVI Corium bags and a medium sized duffle I got off of Amazon. I even had room for 2 bottles of wine for NC Dan and his lovely wife.....wonderful visit. I used a stretchy net over the top of the duffle for stuffing in my electric jacket and any other stuff as I delayered/layered with the changing altitudes. Hot in the valleys and 54 on the mountain tops! I wore and air jacket so the heated layer was needed a few times. Anyway, the Givi bags don't hold much but raingear packages fit perfectly and I had what I needed. They are not as simple to remove and install as hard bags but I didn't want any permanent hardware/brackets mounted to my lovely Sophia. Good luck on your choice. I should add that I don't ride down from NJ as that would require riding route 81 down from PA and I HATE 81 even in a car. So I trailer down to a friends place in Charlottesville.... ..the BRP is 13 miles from his house.....and ride from there...usually about 1,000 miles round trip but probably closer to 1200 this time.
Scott

Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 06:51:36 AM »
I vote for the hard bags.  I like the way they look.  I haven’t used soft bags since the 80s though and I’m sure they’ve come a long way.

Great idea about trailering to Charlottesville and hitting the Parkway from there.  I have cousins in Crozet and never thought of that.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 06:55:06 AM »
Hi, I don't know your requirements for storage and whether you have a passenger but I did an 8 day BRP and back roads trip down to Asheville NC last year and was able to carry all I needed with a couple of 13L GIVI Corium bags and a medium sized duffle I got off of Amazon. I even had room for 2 bottles of wine for NC Dan and his lovely wife.....wonderful visit. I used a stretchy net over the top of the duffle for stuffing in my electric jacket and any other stuff as I delayered/layered with the changing altitudes. Hot in the valleys and 54 on the mountain tops! I wore and air jacket so the heated layer was needed a few times. Anyway, the Givi bags don't hold much but raingear packages fit perfectly and I had what I needed. They are not as simple to remove and install as hard bags but I didn't want any permanent hardware/brackets mounted to my lovely Sophia. Good luck on your choice. I should add that I don't ride down from NJ as that would require riding route 81 down from PA and I HATE 81 even in a car. So I trailer down to a friends place in Charlottesville.... ..the BRP is 13 miles from his house.....and ride from there...usually about 1,000 miles round trip but probably closer to 1200 this time.
Scott

Thanks for the info and nice picture! 

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 08:00:54 AM »
Soft panniers I had were waterproof PVC coated Wolfman's and I hated them. Major PITA to get anything in/out and they always smelled funky inside unless when you parked the bike you unrolled them stuffed in some newspaper to hold them open and a couple dryer sheets and let them air out. I'd never consider cloth non-waterproof panniers. Soft panniers are enough to deal with having to use water proof bags in your non-waterproof bags is just a lot of extra work and inconvenience.

I've also had plastic and aluminium panniers and found them to be a lot more user friendly. Even between hard panniers I also found I prefer the convenience of top loaders over sideload and aluminium over plastic. Side loaders every time I'd open the left pannier when on the side stand stuff want to spill out. I could have used straps to hold things in but that just another headache. Top loaders just work really well. Drop stuff in or pick it out no spillage. I also like when I go to the grocery store and have something that is fragile that I don't want rolling around the pannier I place it in th empannier then hold the bag out over the top of the pannier and close the lid to pinch the plastic bag suspending it in the pannier. Hard top load panniers are also lend themselves nicely to the addition false bottoms too keep things like tools separate from what's above.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 09:03:49 AM »
Soft panniers I had were waterproof PVC coated Wolfman's and I hated them. Major PITA to get anything in/out and they always smelled funky inside unless when you parked the bike you unrolled them stuffed in some newspaper to hold them open and a couple dryer sheets and let them air out.I'd never consider cloth non-waterproof panniers. Soft panniers are enough to deal with having to use water proof bags in your non-waterproof bags is just a lot of extra work and inconvenience.

I've also had plastic and aluminium panniers and found them to be a lot more user friendly. Even between hard panniers I also found I prefer the convenience of top loaders over sideload and aluminium over plastic. Side loaders every time I'd open the left pannier when on the side stand stuff want to spill out. I could have used straps to hold things in but that just another headache. Top loaders just work really well. Drop stuff in or pick it out no spillage. I also like when I go to the grocery store and have something that is fragile that I don't want rolling around the pannier I place it in th empannier then hold the bag out over the top of the pannier and close the lid to pinch the plastic bag suspending it in the pannier. Hard top load panniers are also lend themselves nicely to the addition false bottoms too keep things like tools separate from what's above.

Good to know.  Thank you!

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 11:42:57 AM »
It was mentioned to me by another rider that the Hepco Becker 30 liter bags look out of place, way too big on a 21 V7 850 stone.  Hmmm I still have some thinking to do.  If any of you v7/850 riders have pics with hepco becker 30 liter side bags on let me see them.  Thank You
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:52:48 AM by bobrebos1 »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 11:54:53 AM »
It was mentioned to me by another rider that the Hepco Becker 30 liter bags look out of place, way too big on a 21 V7 850 stone.  Hmmm I still have some thinking to do.

Who cares what he/she thinks - what do YOU think?

Here they are on my 2013 Stone...which if anything is a hair smaller.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:55:21 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 12:04:18 PM »
Who cares what he/she thinks - what do YOU think?

Here they are on my 2013 Stone...which if anything is a hair smaller.

Thank you! 

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 12:13:20 PM »
Hi Bob .   :smiley:

HB 30L  and 30L top-case , 90L's of DRY , LOCKABLE   storage :

st

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 12:48:17 PM »
Hi Bob .   :smiley:

HB 30L  and 30L top-case , 90L's of DRY , LOCKABLE   storage :

st

:thumb:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 05:10:32 PM »
For the times you don't want to run the hard luggage.

Thank you

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 07:32:43 PM »
I like HB, you have many options and they are interchangeable.

I run the V7 Stornello like this for daily.

And like this for trips/camping/etc.

NOT a big fan of the soft bags, especially the Canvas, but as is obvious above, I have NO taste ;-)
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 07:38:38 PM »
but as is obvious above, I have NO taste ;-)

You can take the boy outta NY, but you can't take the NY outta the boy...  :grin:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 08:27:09 PM »
For the times you don't want to run the hard luggage.

https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessories/luggage/kappa-rambler-rb100-side-cases-green.html?currency=USD&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retarget&utm_campaign=Prodotto

Twowheel, I think these would be great on the Himalayan but I am pretty sure these would cook on the V7 swept up pipes. That is why I stuck with the 13L Givi bags over the larger size.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 08:47:59 PM »
You can take the boy outta NY, but you can't take the NY outta the boy...  :grin:

Fuhgetabowdit...... ........
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:53:50 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline DirtFarmer

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2023, 09:12:24 PM »

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 01:08:54 AM »
Twowheel, I think these would be great on the Himalayan but I am pretty sure these would cook on the V7 swept up pipes. That is why I stuck with the 13L Givi bags over the larger size.
Scott

Yep.  I show fender (under seat) to pipes as about 14”.  These bags are about 13 3/4” high.  Those are rough measurements but too close to pipes I think.  Over seat mounting might work.  The la poderosa’s I was looking at have a rack that lifts the bag slightly, improving exhaust clearance.  But they are $1200 with everything at todays exchange rate.  But also I may be able to mount the cheaper soft bags onto the HB mounts at a slightly higher point lifting them further away from the exhaust. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:19:11 AM by bobrebos1 »

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2023, 02:01:47 AM »
This is the look I like.  La Poderosa bags!  Looks good!  BUT for functionality Il go with hepco becker hard 30 liter samsonite suitcase looking bags (lol) and get a cheap set of canvas bags to tie up to the hepco becker racks for around town jaunts.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 02:09:34 AM by bobrebos1 »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2023, 06:56:24 AM »
This is the look I like.  La Poderosa bags!  Looks good!  BUT for functionality Il go with hepco becker hard 30 liter samsonite suitcase looking bags (lol) and get a cheap set of canvas bags to tie up to the hepco becker racks for around town jaunts.

I understand liking the look. If you want bags like that attach (with lock and key) to minimal racks, at least check out the HB-C-Bows.

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-c-bow-carrier-moto-guzzi-v7-2021

They have a whole range of bags that attach to it textile/hard/hybrid.

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker?product=1182

Or you can buy the adaptors and attach any bag.

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-c-bow-plastic-mold-mount

IF I do wind up selling the RK I plan on setting the Carbon Dark up this way. Currently it only has the HB topcase rack.

Personally I kinda like the HB C-Bow Straykers and think they might look good on this, but I'll consider others too.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2023, 08:17:59 AM »
What's up with all the upswept pipes these days. Low pipes allow more room for bags.
kk

Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 08:36:51 AM »
It was mentioned to me by another rider that the Hepco Becker 30 liter bags look out of place, way too big on a 21 V7 850 stone.  Hmmm I still have some thinking to do.  If any of you v7/850 riders have pics with hepco becker 30 liter side bags on let me see them.  Thank You

I've used both soft and hard bags, and both have their place. Soft bags can be made to function after a crash, assuming the bike can still travel. I had a fall where my hard bags likely would've been toast, and the soft bags needed some duct tape, and even the bottle of Pinot survived.

Having said that the HB 30's have really grown on me (I own a set on my Jackal), and recently Enzo listed a bike (still for sale) and I was taken by how perfect, IMO, the 30's looked on that bike.

for your consideration...

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 08:42:22 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 08:38:22 AM »
What's up with all the upswept pipes these days. Low pipes allow more room for bags.
kk

Nice bike! 

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2023, 12:58:59 PM »
Hepco & Becker have some nice looking soft bags, but if you're looking for brown or green canvas specifically I don't think I've seen any from them larger than 11L. Volume might be a compromise depending on what you need, or the 11L or 8L ones might be the perfect size for your use. Hepco & Becker do sell rain covers for their legacy courier bags, but a friend of mine is on her second set of the covers because her first ones shredded from riding with them on. Guess they're not meant for use while riding, but for parking in rain.

When I was shopping for luggage I couldn't get a firm volume measurement on the OEM Guzzi canvas bags which were the first ones to catch my eye, but a rep told me they *think* they're 21L with the side pocket volume included.
https://www.motoguzzi.com/en_EN/accessories/vehicle-accessories/loading/canvas-side-bags-pair-2s001420/
I priced those OEM Guzzi bags with side bag brackets and hardware out to be $1780.35 before tax and shipping.

Soft canvas bags can look deflated and floppy when empty, but the La Poderosa ones have a large enough range of buckle and roll top that you can at least make them shorter and smaller when they're not in use.

Haven't had any heat issues with the stock exhaust on my V7 and soft bags. With a loose adjustment on the straps and enough weight in them they could droop and touch the exhaust, but easy to avoid that by just buckling them snug which pulls the bottom up. I don't unbuckle mine every time I need to pull a loose item out, I just slide the straps off to the side and undo the roll top, grab the item (usually an extra layer or snack, everything else is in a dry bag), then roll the top again and hold it firmly as I slide the straps back over from the sides.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2023, 06:24:38 PM »
I have some Moskow Mule (or something like that) that will strap to my HB *RACKS when I am on dedicated off road settings where I KNOW I will be picking up my bike alot. My off road riding skills really stink.

I will say that one nice thing about the HB 30's is they pop right off in certain situations. This happened about 3X this day before I decided that South Carolina fire roads were NOT good places to gain confidence off road. No damage, nothing bent or scratched (other than my pride) just sand pits every and out of nowhere. Bag went back on with no issues.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 05:48:59 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2023, 05:36:38 AM »
HB bags look great on Guzzi’s, they’re well built and rugged enough to last through the ownership of multiple bikes.  Their mounts are good.  There are very good reasons why you see so many HB bags on bikes.  I think Givi racks and mounts are sometimes more robust.  This is definitely the case with the V7 850 luggage racks.  You can’t go wrong with either brand but that’s mainly down to whether you care about side loading or top loading bags.

If you’re going to be in and out of your cases multiple times a day, top loaders are the way to go.  Nothing falls out when they’re opened, the contents remain packed the same whether the case is opened or closed and rummaging around in the case doesn’t dislodge anything.  It’s also nice when your cases have attachment loops and are even with the pillion.  Being able to strap things to the top of the cases comes in handy sometimes. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here