Author Topic: Great mountain ride with my son  (Read 1939 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Great mountain ride with my son
« on: March 31, 2019, 08:34:18 AM »
Hi Guys. My son and I took a great ride to the beautiful mountains of NC yesterday. The weather was a little cool when we reached 2600 feet but worth the ride by alll means. The 1400 tourer did a great job and was a pleasure to ride. Handled the hairpin curves like a sport bike and was comfortable the entire 200+ miles. The only disappointment was the fuel mileage but not big issue as gas is very affordable in my part of the nation. It would not be nearly as big a deal if my previous MG,an 07 vintage, got 50+ MPH and the 1400 tourned only turned out a gluttonous 36 MPG and with conservative ridding was a little disappointing. However the time spent with my son was priceless, except when he presented his 45 MPG results his 07 Soft Tail produced:)

canuck750

Re: Great mountain ride with my son
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 08:58:37 AM »
Nice!  It's great to ride with one's son :thumb:

My wife has resigned to my two son's riding, and they have been on 2 wheels for about 8 years now but when they started she said if anything hapened to them on a bike she would kill me!

First big trip in 2010 with my younger son and I riding into Death Valley, he lost control on a steep descending corner and crashed, I was in front and lost sight of him. I turnerd around, headed up the hill and saw him lying on the shoulder, bike was out of sight in the ditch. My heart stopped, I yelld out are you ok? He rolls his head and says yes I think so. So as I run up to him I ask if he can move his arms and legs, yes he says. Now I am really panicky, what's wrong then I ask?

He said I don't know but you told me if I crash not to move until someone checks me out. ..... What do you say??

Well I said get up and get the hell off the road before someone rounds the corner and runs you over! He had full gear on and the bike's soft luggage took most of the skid but he had a long bruise down his side and his hand was a bit buggered up. Bike had bent bars and road rash on a few places. It was an eventful trip with a flat and a few other issues. We still laugh about it now.

We never mentioned it to my wife but last year he let it slip about that 'crash' he way had back in Death Valley...... wow did my wife unload on me, and him...

Younger son after his crash while we were trying to repair  flat tire, that's another storey unto itself

In Roswell 2016 at the UFO museum, both my sons with me on this trip

At the Arctic Circle 2015

Near Skagway Alaska 2015

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:41:30 PM by canuck750 »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 09:11:30 AM »
Sounds like a great day Dan! :thumb:

It's always good to spend some time with the kids.

John Henry

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 09:26:31 AM »
Nice!  It's great to ride with one's son :thumb:

My wife has resigned to my two son's riding, and they have been on 2 wheels for about 8 years now but when they started she said if anything hapened to them on a bike she would kill me!

First big trip in 2010 with my younger son and I riding into Death Valley, he lost control on a steep descending corner and crashed, I was in front and lost sight of him. I turnerd around, headed up the hill and saw him lying on the shoulder, bike was out of sight in the ditch. My heart stopped, I yelld out are you ok? He rolls his head and says yes I think so. So as I run up to him I ask if he can move his arms and legs, yes he says. Now I am really panicky, what's wrong then I ask?

He said I don't know but you told me if I crash not to move until someone checks me out. ..... What do you say??

Well I said get up and get the hell off the road before someone rounds the corner and runs you over! He had full gear on and the bike's soft luggage took most of the skid but he had a long brusie down his side and his hand was a bit buggered up. Bike had bent bars and road rash on a few places. It was an eventful trip with a flat and a few other isssues. We still laugh about it now.

We never mentioned it to my wife but last year he let it slip about that 'crash' he way had back in Death Valley...... wow did my wife unload on me, and him...
Great recollection of a memory that will last forever

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 09:26:31 AM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
While we are on the subject let's just post and tell of our adventures ridding with our sons and with pictures!!
I'll go first:)

[img]https://i.ibb.co
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:33:53 AM by Ncdan »

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 11:01:59 AM »
 :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »
On a three day ride up into those same mountains (Valle Crucis, Mountain City, Shady Valley, etc), me on the Norton, Alec on his Versys ...

No substitute for those rides and those moments!   Thanks for the thread.

Lannis

And just one dad to another, get him to put on some proper gear!   He may be an adult but you're still the boss silverback of the tribe ... !   :bow:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »
On a three day ride up into those same mountains (Valle Crucis, Mountain City, Shady Valley, etc), me on the Norton, Alec on his Versys ...

No substitute for those rides and those moments!   Thanks for the thread.

Lannis

And just one dad to another, get him to put on some proper gear!   He may be an adult but you're still the boss silverback of the tribe ... !   :bow:
Jeez, that’s a damn nice looking Commando.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 12:35:47 PM »
That was the wettest weekend I've ever ridden in.  Two days of muck and downpours, one of sunshine, but landslides, lakes of standing water, mud, what a mess.

Wasn't a very good looking bike when it was done ... !  But it never faltered. 

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »
That was the wettest weekend I've ever ridden in.  Two days of muck and downpours, one of sunshine, but landslides, lakes of standing water, mud, what a mess.

Wasn't a very good looking bike when it was done ... !  But it never faltered. 

Lannis
Miserable ridding conditions but what a memory!
If you are ever back in that neck of the woods please let me know, I'd consider it a privilege and honor to ride with you and maybe our boys can come also.
Lastly, bring that Norton as I'd love to see it in person snd I won't even ask to ride it:)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »
  Great pictures guy's  . Hope to get my daughter up to speed on the v50 this summer so we can do the same. Memories don't just happen , you got to make em happen.  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 06:00:58 PM »
Me and my two sons on a week long ride in the Pacific Northwest last summer.  Best trip I have ever had!!!

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 06:07:48 PM »
Good stuff.. :thumb:
The previous trip with the Kid..
2017-06-04_01-32-10 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
2017-06-04_01-37-04 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
2017-06-04_01-35-59 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
This year, we're going out west, with any luck at all.  :smiley:
LIfe is good..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline DaddyRabbit

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 08:43:36 PM »

nothin' better. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:44:39 PM by DaddyRabbit »
Ride with your kids...its cheap therapy for both of you.

03 Cali SS - gone
07 Vintage - gone
09 Stelvio -gone
13 California 1400
18 KTM 1290 SAS

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 05:05:45 AM »

"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

canuck750

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »

That's is one great looking Guzzi Rick :thumb:, your son's KTM looks like its going 100mph just standing still, very sharp bike.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here