Author Topic: Pick Up-Truck posers...  (Read 6685 times)

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Pick Up-Truck posers...
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2019, 08:35:00 AM »
DANG !
Sold our last horse, a couple of years ago.

But, we got Gus.  He's kinda like a horse.  Pretty tall.  (especially if you're short)

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 08:41:50 AM »
Up here in the Great White North at the moment, regular unleaded fuel that is 10% ethanol is priced at  :sad: :sad:$ 1.20 a litre, some of that price is due to a carbon tax that has been levied. I can see if we had to import our oil that the price would be where it is, I am thinking something is terribly wrong up here....  DonG

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »
Don’t get on a high horse. There are lots of nations worldwide with the same freedom.

And they are?
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2019, 08:47:10 AM »
 OK fellas , we know better , right ?

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2019, 08:47:10 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »
Sad, but true.
Some people never haul a single thing with their pickup trucks.

Saw one of those on Jay Leno's Garage.  I am not a dodge guy, but I would own that if I were rich!
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »
Some drivers I'm sure have a genuine, demonstrable need for the substantial cargo capacity of these automotive behemoths.  But similar I suppose to Australia, most simply don't.  In fact, the 4-door 4x4 'Utes" as we call them (actually much, much more compact than those particular models to which you refer) are consistently Australia's best selling vehicles.

What pisses me off most about 'em, however, is their abysmal fuel consumption figures.  Wantonly wasteful of a diminishing resource that would be far better directed towards a more efficient motorcycling future!

Living where I do... I need a truck, so we bought one as our second vehicle. (got it incredibly cheap... like... unheard of cheap). It has abysmal gas mileage. BUt, it is 100% a utility vehicle, and is used as such. When we need to haul lumber, or manure, or are heading out ice fishing and need the snowmobile and sled, or when we get 2 feet of snow overnight and the R.M. hasn't reached us yet, and we need to get to work... so yeah, trucks have their place.

But the gas mileage hurts my hippie heart. So, unless it's NEEDED, it stays parked and we drive the Honda.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 09:58:05 AM »
I used to commute on my motorcycles.  Now I commute with a 32 mpg crossover.

This is what my wife and I use our trucks for. 

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »
Up here in the Great White North at the moment, regular unleaded fuel that is 10% ethanol is priced at  :sad: :sad:$ 1.20 a litre, some of that price is due to a carbon tax that has been levied. I can see if we had to import our oil that the price would be where it is, I am thinking something is terribly wrong up here....  DonG

Nothing is wrong. We still play less than most places in the world for gas. Compare what we pay with say... Europe or Asia. We're just used to super cheap gas, and we've come to feel entitled to it in our Western car-centric social environment.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »
Not sure what a poser really is...

Anyway, my wife will drive nothing but a Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 with a 6.5 foot bed. But she's from Texas, and she hauls stuff, as well as groceries...

Her average fuel economy on her latest truck, a 2018, is about 19 MPG using regular gasoline over 20,000+ miles. Not too bad. (I can get 25 MPG in her truck on the highway, but I'm not from Texas, and I don't drive like it either!)
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 10:14:49 AM »
 Jeff, by definition your wife uses her truck for more than just ridding around looking cool, hence she is not a poser.

Toe, the Great White North is slang for Canada,  they are paying close to $4 US for a gallon, much more than most anywhere in the US, not as much as some nations.  But Canada has a different tax system, they pay higher taxes but get more services than US. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:15:15 AM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »
DANG !
Sold our last horse, a couple of years ago.

But, we got Gus.  He's kinda like a horse.  Pretty tall.  (especially if you're short)

SANTA MARIA MONGO!!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2019, 10:15:21 AM »
I have a '16 F250 SuperDuty extended cab 4x4 that I use for work and an '07 Honda Ridgeline that I use for play.  I prefer the Ridgeline.  Who wouldn't prefer play?  My neighbor is one of those diesel d-bags.  He and his buddies have to do burnouts every time they leave the driveway, belching unburned fuel soot all the way.  In a way, it angers me that VW got hit so hard for what they did, underhanded as it was, while diesel truck bozos operate in their juvenile jackassery with impunity.  Hits a core a little with me because I've been enveloped by these intentional emissions on my motorcycle with temporary adverse effects.  Oh, well.     
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2019, 10:17:45 AM »
I'm already on a high horse, and don't plan on getting down.

:grin:

:thumb: USA USA USA!!!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2019, 10:32:40 AM »
Jeff, by definition your wife uses her truck for more than just ridding around looking cool, hence she is not a poser.

Toe, the Great White North is slang for Canada,  they are paying close to $4 US for a gallon, much more than most anywhere in the US, not as much as some nations.  But Canada has a different tax system, they pay higher taxes but get more services than US.

I live in Saskatchewan. Thanks for the lesson, though!

I have spent a lot of my life travelling... it adds perspective to our gas prices. We're still cheap.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:33:39 AM by Toecutter »

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2019, 10:38:45 AM »
Well Toecutter how do you like the cost of vehicle registration in Saskatchewan ? Especially motorcycles?  :thumb: DonG

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »

Seems like an inordinate amount of motorcycle riders are then "posers" by your definition. I know personally many times throughout the year I'll hop on one of the motorcycles not knowing which direction I'm heading, no destination in mind or when I'm going to return. You know just riding around.

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »
When i was PU shopping a couple of years ago I did not want a 4x4. I have no need so why have it. When I made it clear I wanted a two wheel drive one sales guy ask if I was sure as I might want to go off pavement sometime. I laughed and told him I have lived three miles off pavement for over 12 years and only been stuck once in a snow drift with a Honda Accord. He seemed puzzled.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »
Well Toecutter how do you like the cost of vehicle registration in Saskatchewan ? Especially motorcycles?  :thumb: DonG

Well, MOST of my bikes are 70s Hondas. So... in that case. IT'S AMAZING!!!

But the guzzis, the truck and the Honda? Total B.S.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:15:08 AM by oldbike54 »

oldbike54

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »
 No more political commentary , are we clear on this ?

Dusty

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2019, 11:25:29 AM »
No more political commentary , are we clear on this ?

Dusty

Your house, your rules… I fail to see how my comment regarding our provincial vehicle insurance and the folks who put it in place is at odds with that, though.

oldbike54

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2019, 11:29:52 AM »
Your house, your rules… I fail to see how my comment regarding our provincial vehicle insurance and the folks who put it in place is at odds with that, though.

Luap's house , Luap's rules , the mods are his agents on the ground .

Dusty

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2019, 11:47:02 AM »
Didn't mean to rock the boat, but our provincial insurance and registration is gov't controlled and issued. It's literally impossible to talk about them separately.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »
A guy I work with just bought a loaded 4 door Chevy Silverado.  It is amazing.  My favorite feature is the assisted tailgate.  If you unlatch it and let go it slowly descends by itself.  It reminds me of those slow closing toilet seats.  I'm easily amused.

It has cylinder deactivation.  His gigantic truck gets better gas mileage than my 2008 Tacoma with a 4 cylinder at 70mph on the highway.

He paid $45k.  He owns his home outright.  He still drives a Saturn his mother gave him 15 years ago.  Other than spending a ton of money at the new marijuana dispensary in Northampton, Massachusetts...he is extremely frugal so the $500+ a month payment is nothing to him.     

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2019, 02:46:36 PM »
A guy I work with just bought a loaded 4 door Chevy Silverado.  It is amazing.  My favorite feature is the assisted tailgate.  If you unlatch it and let go it slowly descends by itself.  It reminds me of those slow closing toilet seats.  I'm easily amused.

It has cylinder deactivation.  His gigantic truck gets better gas mileage than my 2008 Tacoma with a 4 cylinder at 70mph on the highway.

He paid $45k.  He owns his home outright.  He still drives a Saturn his mother gave him 15 years ago.  Other than spending a ton of money at the new marijuana dispensary in Northampton, Massachusetts...he is extremely frugal so the $500+ a month payment is nothing to him.   

My Tacoma has that tailgate feature and it is great. Then I forget my F150 doesn't have this feature pull up on the handle  to open the tailgate (not to load/unload anything just to look at all the space I'm not using) and it slams down.

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2019, 03:17:47 PM »
I've owned a couple pick ups, but they were economy models. Never diesels. They were heavy duty enough for me. Now a days I prefer to avoid rain soaked loads of cargo. So I got my Old Man Van as my son calls it. 2014 Ram Promaster 1500 HT with 136" wheelbase. Has a 10' long load bed. Carries stuff way better than my pick up ever did. In its own way, its a modern VW van! The V6 and 6 speed auto do a great job putting the torque to the pavement. And as a long time Guzzi owner, the 4 wheel Brembo disk brakes appeal to me too!

yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »
I've owned a couple pick ups, but they were economy models. Never diesels. They were heavy duty enough for me. Now a days I prefer to avoid rain soaked loads of cargo. So I got my Old Man Van as my son calls it. 2014 Ram Promaster 1500 HT with 136" wheelbase. Has a 10' long load bed. Carries stuff way better than my pick up ever did. In its own way, its a modern VW van! The V6 and 6 speed auto do a great job putting the torque to the pavement. And as a long time Guzzi owner, the 4 wheel Brembo disk brakes appeal to me too!

Load a couple bikes in the back and live out your Hardy Boys fantasy.  LOL!
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »
 My beat up 09 Ranger is nothing fancy ,looking like hobo with different color body parts...Nothing but a manual shift 4x4 with rubber matting instead of rugs..But the A/C works and it can haul a bike as good as a  big buck truck...Not fancy ramp either, just a wood plank..

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2019, 12:50:13 AM »
I live where it snows. I have a 2014 Subaru Outback (6-speed manual) because it will do nearly everything I need a car to do, and with the right shoes she is unstoppable in the snow. For everything the Subaru won't do, I have a 96 Chevy Suburban HD2500 4WD. It will tow the house off the foundation, seats 9(!) and with the third-row out and the middle row folded, I don't need a tent when I go camping. It is freakin' awesome, and paid for.  I am amazed at how nice these new trucks are, but they cost a small fortune and you can't get a manual tranny in them, so I will stick with my old stuff. It suits me, and I'd rather retire a few years earlier than drive a $65,000 rig.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2019, 03:17:09 AM »
When I see a  diesel pickup "Rolling coal" it reminds me of an old VW diesel rabbit  pickup I had in the late 70s. That thing would roll coal whether you wanted to or not! It could barely get out of its own way, and would shake like a wet dog. I think it was a gas engine VW converted to diesel. It did get great MPGs at least!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2019, 11:00:54 AM »
 Nothing I enjoy more when out on the bicycle and have a couple of locals roll coal on me,nothing like breathing those toxins in a nice spring day.....
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here